The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Transit Thread

nitronuts

The first of 48 additional Mark II SkyTrain cars have arrived boasting new features!

1) New exterior TRAIN DESTINATION electronic LED sign

2) Reconfigured seating arrangement that improves capacity and passenger flow

3) More bars to hold onto and that are thoughtfully arranged!

4) More vandal resistant designs.

5) A new (and supposedly quieter) propulsion system, these trains will sound different.

6) Lastly of course, a new exterior livery similar to that of the new buses.

01-new-skytrain.jpg

02-new-skytrain.jpg

03-new-skytrain.jpg

04-new-skytrain.jpg

06-new-skytrain.jpg

07-new-skytrain.jpg

^ Do we have to paint them ugly dark colours now all on the account of some idiot vandals?

I say we cane, tase or apply some sort of good corporal punishment to the perpetrators instead.

Dark colours are better for cleaning purposes, both inside and outside.

Your top 5 priorities for translink?

1. Evergreen Line

2. UBC extension

3. Expo Line upgrade

4. Langley-Willowbrook-Cloverdale-Newton-North Delta-Scott Road Commuter rail expansion. (finished after Expo Line has more capacity)

5. eventually extend the new commuter rail expansion to Abbotsford with a bus link connection to Chilliwack.

1. UBC Extention!!!!

2. More trains on the Expo line

3. Evergreen Line

4. Expand skytrain further into Surrey

5. I'd like to see more trolley bus routes, they're so much cleaner. Not sure if it'll ever happen though.

The Richmond section of the Canada Line is about two months ahead of schedule, according to the company charged with its operation.

The entire rapid transit project, which will eventually link Richmond Centre, YVR and downtown Vancouver, is forecast to be open slightly earlier than the planned Nov. 30 launch date and within its $2 billion budget.

Huh? I thought it was scheduled to open in August, not November...

Huh? I thought it was scheduled to open in August, not November...

November 30 was the set date for opening in the contract. The line will open 2-3 months ahead of schedule....rumours were that it'll be during the first week of August and at the latest early September in time for the new school year/bus changes.

1. UBC Extention!!!!

2. More trains on the Expo line

3. Evergreen Line

4. Expand skytrain further into Surrey

5. I'd like to see more trolley bus routes, they're so much cleaner. Not sure if it'll ever happen though.

2) 32 new Mark II SkyTrain cars are arriving in 2009, another 16 in 2010, and a further 24 in 2011. :D

This will allow the Mark I's to run in a 6 car formation and the Mark II's in a 4-car formation (no more 2-car Mark II's!).

November 30 was the set date for opening in the contract. The line will open 2-3 months ahead of schedule....rumours were that it'll be during the first week of August and at the latest early September in time for the new school year/bus changes.

Hmm...along with the implementation of the new bus routes, I welcome this "ahead of schedule-ness"

honestly i could care less about the new skytrain lines...

how about translink just focus on making skytrain and buses more reliable...

SkyTrain for the most part is quite reliable. Some people fail to realize the times it is reliable and are able to only point out the times when it isn't.

As for being more reliable, Translink is adding 48 additional SkyTrain cars onto the Millennium and Expo lines from 2009-2010 and another 24 cars on their way in 2011.

The Canada Line itself will have 40 cars, but being much larger cars they would be equivalent to 60 SkyTrain cars.

SkyTrain for the most part is quite reliable. Some people fail to realize the times it is reliable and are able to only point out the times when it isn't.

As for being more reliable, Translink is adding 48 additional SkyTrain cars onto the Millennium and Expo lines from 2009-2010 and another 24 cars on their way in 2011.

The Canada Line itself will have 40 cars, but being much larger cars they would be equivalent to 60 SkyTrain cars.

dont get me wrong..its reliable at times...but when people need it/rely on it the most...the system always seems to fail.

they need to do something about SFU too. having production way station feed EVERYONE coming off skytrain is pretty stupid. lineups are horrible.

i would welcome a stop from brentwood or gilmore and then going up hastings (bline it) or lougheed or something...

dont get me wrong..its reliable at times...but when people need it/rely on it the most...the system always seems to fail.

they need to do something about SFU too. having production way station feed EVERYONE coming off skytrain is pretty stupid. lineups are horrible.

i would welcome a stop from brentwood or gilmore and then going up hastings (bline it) or lougheed or something...

The new cars arriving from 2009-2011 will allow the Mark I cars (older cars from the 80's and early 90's) to run in a 6-car formation (it's usually 4-cars) that will fill up the entire platform....that's what Translink did during the recent snow storms. And as for the Mark II cars, they will be running in 4-car formations rather than 2-car formations. A lot of capacity will be added to SkyTrain in the coming years as a result.

As for SFU, they should probably increase the frequency of the bus that goes up the mountain from Production Way. There are also plans to have a B-Line going from downtown to SFU via Hastings using the old 98 B-Line buses.

And as for an improved connection from Production Way Station to the top of the hill, SFU has considered building a gondola up the mountain...all they need is money.

I thought the Mark I's were headed for the scrap yard.

...or the bottom of the ocean as an artificial reef.

The Mark I's will be around for a long time to come, until around 2025. We need every car we can have for as long as possible. There are plans to refurbish them over the next few years so that they will last until then. The Mark I's are perfectly fine - they may be old, but they are still quite functionable. The average lifespan of a rapid transit vehicle is 40 years.

...or the bottom of the ocean as an artificial reef.

The Mark I's will be around for a long time to come, until around 2025. We need every car we can have for as long as possible. There are plans to refurbish them over the next few years so that they will last until then. The Mark I's are perfectly fine - they may be old, but they are still quite functionable. The average lifespan of a rapid transit vehicle is 40 years.

Good. I find them to give a sense of nostalgia... Especially the one with the plaque in it signifying it was the one Princess Diana rode in during Expo '86. I rode in that one once and seem to have misplaced my cameraphone photo of it lol...