The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDC Latenight Lounge

Rate this topic

g_bassi13

Ok, so I had a ticket booked to see Avatar 3D in the afternoon today, but I got there a bit late, and they canceled my reservation. That sucked, because I knew the movie was sold out until Tuesday, and this is a movie I've been waiting to see for a few years now.

So I start whining to the clerk, making up stuff about why I was late, and telling her I was desperate to see the movie. Next thing you know a single ticket opened up for the evening show, conveniently.

So I was left with three hours to either wander the mall alone, or catch a movie in the meantime. 2012? Missed the show. Rocket Singh (Hindi)? Missed it. Choices I was left with was: a) Paa (Hindi) or b)Twilight: New Moon...

So considering the Hindi movie had this poster:

P17-BR-Paa-poster-342x239-BP2595.jpg

I ended up choosing Twilight, which was surprisingly not absolutely horrible. (Though still pretty bad)

Avatar on the other hand... Just WOW! I mean seriously breathtaking. Go watch it in 3D.

Reviewing both movies:

Twilight: New Moon - 5.5/10

First off, I don't think I've ever been more out of place, then with this crowd of pre-teen girls and couples (Though there was that one group of ten 13 year old boys, who I can only guess walked into the wrong screening.)

Anyways, I made notes on my Ipod as I watched the movie, so I'll just post those:

-Haha, he's sparkling, why am I the only one laughing?

-Cinematography pretty good

-Dude got his head ripped off. ???? awesome.

-Why is bella such a female dog

-God, her acting is horribaf***us

-Troy takes off his shirt, all the girls scream, loud

-why did this movie have to be shot in Vancouver, I miss home

-haha, that's road I used to take to work

-Damn, I really wish I was watching Face Punch instead

-the jokes are bad, really bad

-lol, more sparkles

-seriously what the hell does Jacob have to do?

Visually spectacular. The story is really secondary here, because I can tell you that you've never seen the likes of this before. Take Transformers and Pirates of the Caribbean, and just toss them in the bin. They don't come even close to the scale of this movie.

Granted, it's not entirely photo-realistic, but This is by far the closest any movie has come to it. Almost everything on Pandora is CG, like the most of the forest, but you really can't tell. The character movement is so fluid. The 3D's not played as a gimmick, as it genuinely works into the movie, without sticking out.

The action scenes are done only like Cameron can do. Seamless action, resulting in a pure adrenaline rush, especially during the final battle.

The story was not groundbreaking, but it did help make the movie what it was. The premise is essentially dances with Wolves on an alien moon. The characters were great, and the dialogue was... well typically cheesy, as you'd expect from Cameron. I went into this movie not convinced I would cheer for the Na'vi, but I did, without realizing it. Once you get the audience genuinely invested in the character's fates, you know you've done your job well.

The rest of the audience seemed to love it as well, especially the person beside me. Her friend was indifferent though, and seemed to be one of the only there who I think didn't love it. It also got a partial standing ovation, so that's something.

Maybe I'm overrating it because I was literally watching it minutes after I finished Twilight, but it certainly lived up to my expectations. I highly recommend you go watch it. In 3d.

• 3 weeks later...