The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDC Latenight Lounge

Rate this topic

g_bassi13

If a 220 pound force is applied to a 64 inch straight bar that is pivoted 6 inches from the end, what lift force is exerted? It's helpful to draw a diagram to help solve.

I need the equation to solve this question.

you dont do stupid crap like that in carpentry school do you

im pretty sure though its a trick question 220 lbs is the force that is used to lift. the forces on either side of the pivot point need to be equal.

and i thought lift force reffered to airplanes and such

If a 220 pound force is applied to a 64 inch straight bar that is pivoted 6 inches from the end, what lift force is exerted? It's helpful to draw a diagram to help solve.

I need the equation to solve this question.

What end of the lever is the force being applied? Its a fairly simple problem, if you had a one pound force pushing on a point 2 feet from a fulcrum on a 3 foot bar your force will be doubled to 2 lbs/ft. The opposite scenario would give you force reduction of 1/2 pound. Use a ratio to figure out your problem.

you dont do stupid crap like that in carpentry school do you

im pretty sure though its a trick question 220 lbs is the force that is used to lift. the forces on either side of the pivot point need to be equal.

and i thought lift force reffered to airplanes and such

Somehow the 6 inches needs to come in play though. I have to divide or multiply something. I don't think it's a trick question, their hasn't been any all year. Yep, we do. There's 2 questions like this actually, the next one is: If a 180 pound for is applied to a 60 inch straight bar that is pivoted 4.5 inches from the end, what life force is exerted?

Somehow the 6 inches needs to come in play though. I have to divide or multiply something. I don't think it's a trick question, their hasn't been any all year. Yep, we do. There's 2 questions like this actually, the next one is: If a 180 pound for is applied to a 60 inch straight bar that is pivoted 4.5 inches from the end, what life force is exerted?

If the force being applied is closer to the fulcrum there will be a force reduction and an increase in distance/speed. If it is further away the opposite is true.

That's what she said

:bigblush:

If the force being applied is closer to the fulcrum there will be a force reduction and an increase in distance/speed. If it is further away the opposite is true.

I see. I just don't get how I format my equation. Do I divide the force by the amount pivoted from the end or divide the force by the length of the straight bar?

the equation for torque i think is t=Fd, where t is the torque. f is the force exerted, which is 220 lbs in the first question. d is the distrance from the fulcrum, which would be 58 inches. which you could switch to 4.833 feet since torque is more often measured in foot pounds than inch pounds

t=220(4.833)

t=1063.33 foot pounds of torque

i have no idea what the lift force your talking about is though

if we reverse the equation though we can find the force exerted on the other end of the rod

1063.33=F(.5ft)

F =1063.33/.5

F= 2126.66