The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Schroeder Talk

carlweezer

We all know his rank fell due to his lack of size, but because of his offensive potential we had to take him. I'm extremely excited and think he will be all of that. Something I stumbled across on HF made me laugh a bit, have a read.

"During the 1996 NHL Draft, the Vancouver Canucks were pleasantly surprised to find Regina Pat centre Josh Holden still available when they drafted in the 12th spot. Ranked fourth by the Central Scouting Bureau, Holden saw his stock plummet because of his size. The Canucks, however, were willing to take a chance on Holden because of his offensive potential."

Oh Josh Holden...

*This is more joking around then anything, but made me think!*

I remember one of those season ticket holder events back in the late 90's and Brian Burke answered some guys question about a #1 center.......he exact words were "We Believe we have a guy who will be a #1 for us for a long time in Josh Holden"

PPG in his first AHL Playoffs with only 11 games experience is pretty good.

+1, you make a great point. Schroeder's point production and positive impact on the Moose in the playoff's was far greater than either Hodgson's was last year or even Grabner's was. I expect Schroeder will turn some heads at camp this year, and has a good chance of making the Nuck's.

As far as his size goes, sure he's only 5'8" but he is built like a fire hydrant, and weighs 10 or 15 pounds more than Grabner for example.

+1, you make a great point. Schroeder's point production and positive impact on the Moose in the playoff's was far greater than either Hodgson's was last year or even Grabner's was. I expect Schroeder will turn some heads at camp this year, and has a good chance of making the Nuck's.

As far as his size goes, sure he's only 5'8" but he is built like a fire hydrant, and weighs 10 or 15 pounds more than Grabner for example.

Not only was Hodgson worn out from playing so much hockey last year, but he was also buried on the 3rd line most of the time due to the offensive depth they had (Krog, Ouellet, Grabner, Jaffray). He also had to play out of position, on the wing.

Jordan was still fresh, since he had only played 37 games in the NCAA. And since the Moose were so thin up front, he got tons of prime icetime.

I don't mean to knock Schroeder though, because I'm excited about him too. However, I expect Hodgson to end up being at an entirely different level. I wouldn't read too much into their brief AHL stints thus far, since they were under completely different circumstances.

"Holden had tendons in his wrist severely severed. It's a miracle he could move his hand after the injury he suffered. He was highly-touted for his skills and likely would've had a pretty solid career had it not been for the permanent damage from the injury and the setbacks in development it caused. I also don't remember him being sold as a character pick quite as heavily as Hodgson."

From a poster on the HF boards.

He always seemed injured right after being drafted, it's a shame he couldn't amount to much.

He's over a PPG player over seas though!

CoHo has been injured since being drafted. Let's hope he gets better and makes a full recovery to lead us into the future.

Schroeder will be a stud but a winger not a centre. He will be on the wing with CoHo IMO.

nah, schroeder will be a good addition, i just hope he doesnt take as long as coho to be NHL ready haha

well honestly we are stacked with centre's at the moment that its not a case of him being ready, it will be more of a case of who do we let go so we can slot him in.

I mean at the moment we have

Sedin

Kesler

Johnson

Wellwood and Demitra are UFA's, so that leaves one spot with two young talented guys. Both of which will be better than 3rd liners.....sure one of them (or Kesler) could go to the wing, but nonetheless we have great offensive talent and need to try and make room for these younger guys....not a bad thing to have too much choice though : P

well honestly we are stacked with centre's at the moment that its not a case of him being ready, it will be more of a case of who do we let go so we can slot him in.

I mean at the moment we have

Sedin

Kesler

Johnson

Wellwood and Demitra are UFA's, so that leaves one spot with two young talented guys. Both of which will be better than 3rd liners.....sure one of them (or Kesler) could go to the wing, but nonetheless we have great offensive talent and need to try and make room for these younger guys....not a bad thing to have too much choice though : P

...Did we resign Johnson, he's a UFA this summer too, we only have 2 centers on contract.

With that said though Hodgson and Schroeder won't play 4th line so if they both make the team one of them will have to play wing. Considering Schroeder has a history of being able to switch to the wing, it'll probably be him.

Drafting smaller players is always a gamble. I'm fully aware of the ones that make it but the reality is most of them don't. The upside for Schroeder is that he's built well so I'll have some confidence, plus his success in the AHL is a good sign.

Why is there a tendency to knock prospects before they even have a chance to prove what they are capable of.  I presume Jordan Schroeder was drafted because someone saw and liked what he could do as a young hockey player.  Half of you critics haven't even seen him play, let alone know what he might develop into as a player.  If he can skate well, has heart like Burrows, loyalty, ability and can score goals, who cares what his size is.

Give the kid a chance before you kick him under the bus.

i for one am really excited to see schroeder play. to be honest i still havent seen much of him yet because i didnt watch any of the moose playoffs or ncca games. i think he will develop into a pretty solid top 6 player in the next few years and im stoked to see what he can do at training camp. im expectiing him or hodgson ( mauybe both) to be on the team next year

i actually think the closer comparison would be that of Josh Holden and Cody Hodgson, both were highly touted and a surprise that they were still available and both got injured after the draft. Both has skating issues but I think Hodgson is more skilled and together between the ears. Holden had that awful injury that set him back for so long and I remember when he came up from Manitoba, he just couldn't keep the puck on his stick.

Schroeder is still a gamble, it remains to be seen if he can adjust to the gruelling NHL schedule, he's probably got the skills that neither steve kariya or brandon reid had but the whole point is how Schroeder will play in traffic and his game without the puck

Hopefully, both Hodgson and Schroeder will get the playing time they need to develop, and be dominating top six forwards in due time

Archived