The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

What do you mean replaced our most crucial player?

If you cant see that we've improved immenesly then your just blind. Our midfield, which has been our weakest position since Keane and Scholes left, is now our strongest. All we need is a top CB and I would say we would be 2nd favourites to win the league behind Chelsea.

If City pull De Bruyne, I think City wins the league.

Aguero

Silva - De Bruyne - Sterling

Toure - Fernandinho

Clichy - Kompany - Mangala - Zabaleta

If not, it's Chelsea's league as of now.

United without another defensive addition can't win the league. Especially if they lose ADM lol

What do you mean replaced our most crucial player?

If you cant see that we've improved immenesly then your just blind. Our midfield, which has been our weakest position since Keane and Scholes left, is now our strongest. All we need is a top CB and I would say we would be 2nd favourites to win the league behind Chelsea.

Pretty much what I'm assuming. Like be a homer, but never go full homer lol. Won't be a walk in the park like Boose sees it that's for sure.

• Upvote 1

Aguero

Toure - Fernandinho

United without another defensive addition can't win the league. Especially if they lose ADM lol

I think it'll be a 3 legged race between Chelsea-City-United in that order with Arsenal and maybe another surprise team budging in as well.

Aguero

Toure - Fernandinho

I do think ADM will leave, but honestly at the end of the season when we started to play our best football, he was a sub and even then he was dreadful. So I dont really get your point. He was good at the start but faded slowly.

Also if city get De Bruyne, they will improve massively but I still question their two CBs Mangala, althoug his first year in a new league, was nothing special. Kompany has been dire the last 2 seasons, Demichilis(sp?) for me has been their best CB.

Pretty much what I'm assuming. Like be a homer, but never go full homer lol. Won't be a walk in the park like Boose sees it that's for sure.

I don't know what y'all are talking about with this "midfield is our weakest position"

Herrera, Di Maria, Juan Mata, Carrick, and Fellaini last season. You threw one on the bench, and played the other 6'9 ape at CAM lol.

Okay sure, Schneiderlin in. Slight overpayment according to many, but I liked it. What the hell was Schweinsteiger brought in for?

Depay - Rooney - Di Maria

Mata

Schneiderlin - Herrera/carrick

Shaw - CB - Smalling - Darmien

DDG

That is a league capable winning side.

But if you guys lose Di Maria to PSG without replacing him, you will not win the league. Mourinho will swallow that team up and spit it back out.

Arsenal with Cech, big difference. Arsenal needs to pay the money for Lacazette. They can then win the league with a striker not named Giroud.

Right now, chelsea is ahead of the pack.

Arsenal need a striker - there is a top one who fits their style of play available for 35 million pounds.

United need a centerback - there is one on Valencia and one on BvB. Get one.

City need to get younger - there is a top level CAM on Wolfsburg available. Get him.

One addition per team, and you guys are equal with Chelsea.

Edited by Tom Sestito

^you don't seem to get all those midfield additions finally gives us stability which we haven't had for quite some time. Yes mid was our biggest strength last season but it was clearly broken. Can finally say everyone is comfortable with it and what's the point of all those mid? Playing 433 you can use all the mid you can get in a campaign.

But agree with everything else for the most part.

Edited by TheRussianRocket™

^what I mean by midefield being our weakest position is that, when Carrick was injured we had no one who could dictate the play and play a pass. I would not include Mata as a midfielder either since hes better used further up the pitch.

We also wont play that formation. We will have one CDM(Schneidlerin), one to play as a deep lying playmaker(Schweinsteiger or Carrick) and one who will kind of free roam further up the pitch(Herrera).

But I do agree with you about the CB, I wish we would stop fecking about with RM and Ramos and just pay Otamendis release clause.

I do think ADM will leave, but honestly at the end of the season when we started to play our best football, he was a sub and even then he was dreadful. So I dont really get your point. He was good at the start but faded slowly.

You know who made ADM a team of the year player? Mourinho.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/3277/la-liga/2013/12/13/4477729/di-maria-mourinho-made-me-the-player-i-am-today

Your squad was average without ADM anyways. Van Gaal pissed away a team of the year player. United had other places to strengthen their squad, but they strengthened their strongest position. Depay, good signing. Offers on left and as back up striker. But you need pace. Without Di Maria, the only pace you have is &^@#ing Chris Smalling and Depay lmao.

We also wont play that formation. We will have one CDM(Schneidlerin), one to play as a deep lying playmaker(Schweinsteiger or Carrick) and one who will kind of free roam further up the pitch(Herrera).

What I posted was a representation on how I'd have gone about things.

ADM is still with us. All the talk of him going JS rubbish and speculation. Says he wants to be here, LVG has given him his support. I highly highly doubt he's gone this season. If anything it'll be after the season if he doesn't fit in. Giving him up rn would make United look stupid and they won't do that.

Tom, why are you making to seem like ADM is the be all and end all of United. Like I said when we played our best against City, Liverpool, Spurs, Di Maria was a sub. Hell even when we werent playing good he was a sub. ADM is a wonderful world-class player, but IMO he had wanted to go to PSG since day 1. If he goes we will re-invest in the team, if not then I hope he succeeds. But no one player is bigger than the club.

• Upvote 1

I know you will re-invest in the team, but it needs to include a player of his quality in an attacking position.

Depay and Smalling being the only pacey players on your 11 is not good enough. You need another game breaker. Right now it's just "solid" everywhere.

Let's look at what I see as 95% likely things to happen.

Chelsea add Pedro. United add Otamendi. City add De Bruyne. Arsenal don't add anyone to their starting 11 because >lolwenger.

I'm not including selling ADM, the possibility of Arsenal signing a striker, etc.. and using TRR's lineup + otamendi.

ST: Aguero > Costa >> Rooney >>>>> Giroud

LAM/LW: Hazard > Sanchez >> Silva >> Depay

CAM: De Bruyne >>>>>> Ozil > Herrera > Oscar

RAM/RW: Sterling > Pedro > Mata > Ramsey/Walcott or whatever they do in wengerland.

CM: Fabregas > Cazorla >>>>>> Yaya > Schweini (age, regression)

CDM: Matic > Schneiderlin >>> Fernandinho > Coquelin

LB: Azpilicueta >>>> Clichy > Shaw > Gibbs

CB1: Terry > Otamendi > Koscielny >> Kompany

CB2: indifferent because they're all average - cahill/mangala/smalling/mertesacker

RB: Ivanovic > Zabaleta >>> Darmian > Bellerin

GK: Courtois > DDG >> Cech >>>>> Hart

Manager: Mourinho >>>>> Pellegrini > LVG >> Wenger

Exactly. I think DDG is the 3rd best GK in the world. His ability to make game saving saves is above Courtois, but Courtois is taller and has the flexibility of a cat with A class positioning. DDG has him beat on reactions imo. That one is an opinion for me. I don't mind it when people argue DDG being better, because it's an argument to be made.

I just think that unless United add another game breaking offensive player to replace ADM, and an awesome CB (which they are), they'll still be behind Chelsea.

If City get De Bruyne, I'm scared about their front four - very scared. Best in England. They will score goals and a lot of them. But they won't have addressed their back line. Hart needs protection. He's inconsistent. Toure isn't the player he was two or three years ago. His legs are not willing to run up and down tracking back. They haven't addressed that yet. Will mangala get his $&!# together? Who knows. They have to give him a shot and hope he does. Fernandinho is not very good. I made a mistake and put him ahead of Coquelin, which is absolutely wrong. Slipped my mind. Fernando did not show what he showed at Porto prior.

Arsenal don't have a striker. They will do nothing.

I think its gonna be a good race for the title between City, United and Chelsea. I dont think Chelsea will run away with it like Caboose said, the teams around are getting a lot better. My prediction of top 7 (assuming we get a CB).

1.Chelsea

2.United

3.City

4.Arsenal

5.Tottenham

6.Liverpool

7.Southampton

Of course this could all change depending on transfers.

De Bruyne is the difference between city and united.

Otherwise I'll agree.

If United add Otamendi, I truly believe they'll finish second in goals against this season - and to go along with your midfield - definitely capable of winning league. Problem is the attack is on par with LFC/Spurs.

We'll see. Things could easily change.

Prediction: Lacazette goes to PSG if they sell Cavani - if not he'll go to LFC because he probably wants out desperately if he's passing on the champions league football at Lyon.

United are a worse team without Carrick on the pitch.

Bayern were better in every way when Schweinsteiger was out of the first team.

It is the United fans in this thread who will be surprised.

Schweinsteiger is past it.