The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Republican 2012 Presidential Nominee

The Situation

2012 Presidential Election  

167 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Wow...Cnn sinking to a new low with Piers Morgan's interview with Ron Paul.

Way to put a bunch of marijuana looking plants in the background.

Morgan looking uncomfortable at times. I think he's having a inner crisis. Anyone with half an objective brain cell left can see what's going on in this interview.

Santorum Tells Sick Kid Not To Complain About $1 Million Drug Costs Because People Pay $900 For An iPad

While campaigning yesterday in Woodland Park, Colorado, GOP contender Rick Santorum told a sick child and his mother that they shouldn’t complain about the exorbitant cost of his medication because some people spend $900 on iPads. He appeared unmoved by the plight of the family, staunchly defending drug companies’ right to charge whatever they want.

The candidate also said that the parent and childunjustly felt entitled to get life-saving care at an affordable rate:[indent

]

GOP contender Rick Santorum had a heated exchange with a mother and her sick young son Wednesday, arguing that drug companies were entitled to charge whatever the market demanded for life-saving therapies.[...]

People have no problem paying $900 for an iPad,” Santorum said, “but paying $900 for a drug they have a problem with — it keeps you alive. Why? Because you’ve been conditioned to think health care is something you can get without having to pay for it.”

The mother said the boy was on the drug Abilify, used to treat schizophrenia, and that, on paper, its costs would exceed $1 million each year.

Santorum said drugs take years to develop and cost millions of dollars to produce, and manufacturers need to turn a profit or they would stop developing new drugs.

Santorum proceeded to lecture the mother and suggest she should be grateful to the drug companies for saving her son’s life. “He’s alive today because drug companies provide care,” Santorum said. “And if they didn’t think they could make money providing that drug, that drug wouldn’t be here.” He also claimed it would “freeze innovation” if pharmaceutical companies were required to offer their drugs at a reasonable price.

Although Santorum has been a vocal opponent of health care reform, his callous reaction is somewhat surprising given that he himself is the father of a daughter with a rare genetic disorder. But if the Colorado mother thought Santorum might be sympathetic to families in similar situations who happen to be less wealthy, she was sadly mistaken.

http://thinkprogress...00-for-an-ipad/

What a pile of crap this guy is. And he was elected to public office.

So the GOP primary has given us: A tax evader with 200+ million dollars and a lower tax rate than the poor, a morally bankrupt cheater who dropped two wives in serious sickness, a pile of santorum, and an unelectable, supposed racist whose stated policies on crime are more progressive than the current half-black president's. And this is the Jesus party. :picard:

No, dumb people don't gravitate toward the GOP. No way. :bigblush:

I'm not an expert on American politics...but...don't the dems feel the same way? I mean, I assume they would raise taxes to subsidize costs of these meds...but still, big pharma would still receive the same amount of money under Obama as they would under Santorum (or any other R Candidate) ?

In his first proposed system, you're saying that pharma got less than with the santorum side (current market prices)?

How is it a misrepresentation? The fact that it is a true universal system (that it would be given to everyone?) doesn't exactly describe a difference in profits to 'big pharma'. I don't follow.

If only they could just do away with lobbying. That should have been the OWS slogan.

We are the 99% --->End Lobbying in Washington.

Actually now that I brought that up...you're a knowledgeable guy, think you could help me out on something? What forms of lobbying exist in Canada? There seems to be no news at all about this. Are the rules any different than down south?

Santorum with the sweep last night...does this actually put him back in the race? No bound delegates coming out of Colorado, Missouri or Minnesota, but at the very least this keeps the frothy mixture in it for a bit longer. Minnesota is pretty certain to go Democrat in the fall, but Colorado and Missouri are both possible swing states that could go either way, so I'm a little surprised they would pick someone so extreme for a nominee.

Santorum with the sweep last night...does this actually put him back in the race? No bound delegates coming out of Colorado, Missouri or Minnesota, but at the very least this keeps the frothy mixture in it for a bit longer. Minnesota is pretty certain to go Democrat in the fall, but Colorado and Missouri are both possible swing states that could go either way, so I'm a little surprised they would pick someone so extreme for a nominee.

Archived