The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Occupy Wall Street

Navyblue

^^^

You know, I used to have a modicum of respect for your posts and your viewpoint but your usage of the word 'pig' in referring to the police has removed any speck I might have had left. And it's a shame because you sometimes have some very relevant things to say.....

I'm sure the day you require the services of the police in a horrible situation pertaining to you being the 'victim' and they're the ones who come to rescue you, you'll be very sure to address them as 'pigs'.

^^^

You know, I used to have a modicum of respect for your posts and your viewpoint but your usage of the word 'pig' in referring to the police has removed any speck I might have had left. And it's a shame because you sometimes have some very relevant things to say.....

I'm sure the day you require the services of the police in a horrible situation pertaining to you being the 'victim' and they're the ones who come to rescue you, you'll be very sure to address them as 'pigs'.

I'm sorry to hear that my accurate description of the police force in NY, and USA in general has lost your valued respect.

I'm certain that your respect for the aforementioned police "just doing their jobs" is well deserved. It was well deserved when four women were pepper sprayed while standing peacefully within a tiny, orange colored barricade set. I'm sure it was well deserved when the police in Oakland threw a can of teargas into a crowed that gathered to help a downed protester, who later turned out to be an Iraq vet with a broken skull and brain swelling. I'm sure it was well placed when the police arrested 700 protesters after allowing them onto a bridge, evidently as herding for easier arrest (and later release). I'm sure it's well deserved for the inhumane conditions reported by imprisoned protesters who are only fed bread and water, refused medical attention resulting from police beatings. I'm sure it was well placed when McGill students were recently beaten by the force, and captain describing "locking arms in protest is a form of violence". I'm sure you have much respect for the police in NY who are paid millions of dollars by the Wall Street companies to serve as a private police force. I'm sure you respect them for the numbers of black people they harass and imprison. I'm sure your respect is well earned for the police who showed up with sings "It's been happening since the days of the Egyptians" and "Just following orders" to protest charges against 16 members of their force who were charged with a long list of crimes. I'm sure your respect is well placed for the paramilitary force that regularly shoots people in their homes, in hopes of finding some marijuana. I'm sure you respect the police who wear unidentifiable riot gear, using their anonymity to assault peaceful protesters with no fear of retribution. I'm sure your respect for the Home Land Security that is coordinating the crackdowns on peaceful protesters is deserved. I'm sure your respect for authority, regardless of the oppression they inflict on the people is deserved. I'm sure the police should be respected for "just following orders".

I'm sorry, but your respect isn't something I want, if it means feigning respect for oppression and brutality in a self-proclaimed beacon of democracy.

I'm sorry to hear that my accurate description of the police force in NY, and USA in general has lost your valued respect.

I'm certain that your respect for the aforementioned police "just doing their jobs" is well deserved. It was well deserved when four women were pepper sprayed while standing peacefully within a tiny, orange colored barricade set. I'm sure it was well deserved when the police in Oakland threw a can of teargas into a crowed that gathered to help a downed protester, who later turned out to be an Iraq vet with a broken skull and brain swelling. I'm sure it was well placed when the police arrested 700 protesters after allowing them onto a bridge, evidently as herding for easier arrest (and later release). I'm sure it's well deserved for the inhumane conditions reported by imprisoned protesters who are only fed bread and water, refused medical attention resulting from police beatings. I'm sure it was well placed when McGill students were recently beaten by the force, and captain describing "locking arms in protest is a form of violence". I'm sure you have much respect for the police in NY who are paid millions of dollars by the Wall Street companies to serve as a private police force. I'm sure you respect them for the numbers of black people they harass and imprison. I'm sure your respect is well earned for the police who showed up with sings "It's been happening since the days of the Egyptians" and "Just following orders" to protest charges against 16 members of their force who were charged with a long list of crimes. I'm sure your respect is well placed for the paramilitary force that regularly shoots people in their homes, in hopes of finding some marijuana. I'm sure you respect the police who wear unidentifiable riot gear, using their anonymity to assault peaceful protesters with no fear of retribution. I'm sure your respect for the Home Land Security that is coordinating the crackdowns on peaceful protesters is deserved. I'm sure your respect for authority, regardless of the oppression they inflict on the people is deserved. I'm sure the police should be respected for "just following orders".

I'm sorry, but your respect isn't something I want, if it means feigning respect for oppression and brutality in a self-proclaimed beacon of democracy.

Perhaps you have noticed but I am often highly critical of the police. You need to understand the powers of the police and it seems that you do not - nor do any number of Occupy protesters it would seem.

They are peace officers charged with keeping the peace and have powers to prevent actual or apprehended breaches of the peace. And as the courts have noted (and the various Criminal Codes provide) officers will be given a broad discretion in doing so and in the application of force as long as the force is not patently unreasonable.

They are not just following orders, they are enforcing the law. And if they go beyond what is lawful then they can face charges.

There is a pending protest in Vancouver that is directly related to the OWS protest. The owner of Zuccotti Park is a Canadian company, Brookfield Properties - one of the largest commercial real estate companies in the world. Members of Occupy Vancouver have two marches planned today (12 p.m. and 4 p.m.) to the 1055 W. Georgia St. headquarters of Brookfield Properties.

http://www.vancouversun.com/business/Occupy+Vancouver+protesters+plan+march+Brookfield+Properties+headquarters/5726092/story.html#ixzz1dzTKfQLi

nov17dayofactionga_1390.jpg?ts=1321510304

In Solidarity with Occupations around the world, Occupy Vancouver will march for a Day of Action, Thursday November 17th. Our first march will gather at the Vancouver Art Gallery (VAG), and march at 12:00pm through downtown with key targets: see map

A second march will gather at the VAG, for a March at 4pm,
with a
key target of stomping on
Brookfield Properties offices in multiple cities
, to show solidarity with #OccupyWallStreet.

http://www.occupyvancouver.com/

In a press release, Occupy Vancouver's media team declared the "Occupy Brookfield!" action in solidarity with the evicted New York Occupiers "as well as many other Occupy sites currently under threat of eviction."

I was being facetious.

I've needed the police's help on three occasions in my life, when my single mother and I were fresh immigrants. A B&E, vandalism against property, and continued attempted sexual abuse by a pedophile. All three being closely related. Nothing resulted, forcing us to move, hide our information from the White Pages, and living in constant fear.

I have called a cop a pig to his face before, but I didn't need his assistance. I also told him he's what is wrong with our society for "just following orders". In fact, the only time the police actually show themselves in my experience is when their presence is least required. And I'm a law abiding citizen, save for using marijuana.

You don't know anything about me or what I've gone through. Don't presume I'm one of the sheep whose tongue gets glued to the arse of any authority they're in the presence of.

Perhaps you have noticed but I am often highly critical of the police. You need to understand the powers of the police and it seems that you do not - nor do any number of Occupy protesters it would seem.

They are peace officers charged with keeping the peace and have powers to prevent actual or apprehended breaches of the peace. And as the courts have noted (and the various Criminal Codes provide) officers will be given a broad discretion in doing so and in the application of force as long as the force is not patently unreasonable.

They are not just following orders, they are enforcing the law. And if they go beyond what is lawful then they can face charges.

Oh believe me, you've made your disdain for any authority perfectly clear....... even in situations where certain people in 'authority' are enforcing the laws of the country you live in. And YOU, whether you like it or not, enjoy the benefits and freedoms you do because we have people who work in law enforcement to ensure that people like you get to enjoy a lifestyle you obviously came to this country to partake of.

Literally millions of law enforcement officials and you choose to highlight the ones that are doing their office a disservice.

By any stretch, I should call you a rioter, because people wearing Canucks jerseys rioted on 6/15, and the Canucks are a hockey team, and you're posting on a hockey forum right now, you clearly are a rioter.

Archived