The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kony 2012 [ Video Inside ]

Muse

Nowhere did he say in the video that you have to give them money. Anyone that gives money to charities without knowing exactly where it's going is an idiot anyways.

The point of the video, which alot of people seemed to have miss out on, is that the power of social media can in fact make people and government's take action. And I think that's the most important thing here, not whether or not you feel like giving your money to a charity that may or may not be corrupt.

The bottom line is, Joseph Kony is an evil person who has committed crimes against humanity. Whether you agree with the way Invisible Children is going about trying to get rid of him is irrelevant. What is relevant is that people around the world actually know who this guy is now, and they are willing to put more pressure on governments to capture him. I don't see anything wrong with that.

It's people that try to crap on movements like that that are the ones who are harmful to change. Say what you want about invisible children, but don't look down on people uniting together to try and do something good. There's not enough of that in the world right now.

Nowhere did he say in the video that you have to give them money. Anyone that gives money to charities without knowing exactly where it's going is an idiot anyways.

The point of the video, which alot of people seemed to have miss out on, is that the power of social media can in fact make people and government's take action. And I think that's the most important thing here, not whether or not you feel like giving your money to a charity that may or may not be corrupt.

The bottom line is, Joseph Kony is an evil person who has committed crimes against humanity. Whether you agree with the way Invisible Children is going about trying to get rid of him is irrelevant. What is relevant is that people around the world actually know who this guy is now, and they are willing to put more pressure on governments to capture him. I don't see anything wrong with that.

It's people that try to crap on movements like that are the ones who are harmful to change. Say what you want about invisible children, but don't look down on people uniting together to try and do something good. There's not enough of that in the world right now.

Lets just do nothing, that's easier, right?

I love these arrogant people who try and piss on stuff like this, and act like everyone else is dumb but them.

Yes it's true most people didn't know who Joseph Kony was a week ago, but now millions of people do. Hmmm seems to me their video worked then didn't it?

I see alot of people who come off sounding dumber by not being able to seperate the message from the messenger. Just because you may be against Invisible Children, doesn't mean you should be against the message. They've already succeeded in their goal of spreading this message to millions of people, and in doing so proved the power of social media. I see that as only a positive. Even blind action is action, and is better than sitting on your hands and doing nothing.

Social media movements like this have already shown they can do amazing things; as we saw with the Arab spring in the Middle East, and the Occupy Wall Street movement in North America. These social movements are not gonna go away anytime soon, so you better get used to them. I find it refreshing that there are people that are willing to actually do something to create change, instead of sitting and doing nothing, and saying that things will never change. It's just a self-fulfilling proficy to say things wil never change.

It's people that try to crap on movements like that that are the ones who are harmful to change. Say what you want about invisible children, but don't look down on people uniting together to try and do something good. There's not enough of that in the world right now.

Lets just do nothing, that's easier, right?

I love these arrogant people who try and piss on stuff like this, and act like everyone else is dumb but them.

Yes it's true most people didn't know who Joseph Kony was a week ago, but now millions of people do. Hmmm seems to me their video worked then didn't it?

I see alot of people who come off sounding dumber by not being able to seperate the message from the messenger. Just because you may be against Invisible Children, doesn't mean you should be against the message. They've already succeeded in their goal of spreading this message to millions of people, and in doing so proved the power of social media. I see that as only a positive. Even blind action is action, and is better than sitting on your hands and doing nothing.

Social media movements like this have already shown they can do amazing things; as we saw with the Arab spring in the Middle East, and the Occupy Wall Street movement in North America. These social movements are not gonna go away anytime soon, so you better get used to them. I find it refreshing that there are people that are willing to actually do something to create change, instead of sitting and doing nothing, and saying that things will never change. It's just a self-fulfilling proficy to say things wil never change.

It's not fair to ask you this, but what do you think the solution should be, then? You can't ignore the fact that Kony is a real criminal, and that something needs to happen sooner than later, and it certainly has to happen quickly in order to really move forward. The risks are obvious.

Kony 2012? Sure, I get that he's a Christian, and a general, but if you run him against Mitt now you're just going to split the fundy vote with Santourum. I'd tell Kony's people to hold off until 2016.

He's still more likable than Gingrich though.

The truth is no one can really claim much of anything because much of it is in the dark. Who knows though, maybe we'll have some Ugandan refugees come on this board and speak about Kony or a member of Invisible Children will share some details on their mission & finances.

With that said, I'm happy with how this viral marketing campaign has gone. While we can question the character of the organization, I think it's undeniable that many people have filled their hearts with good intentions by sharing or supporting this cause. Maybe their trust is misguided, but good intentions always go a long way with me, regardless of the outcome.

The truth is no one can really claim much of anything because much of it is in the dark. Who knows though, maybe we'll have some Ugandan refugees come on this board and speak about Kony or a member of Invisible Children will share some details on their mission & finances.

With that said, I'm happy with how this viral marketing campaign has gone. While we can question the character of the organization, I think it's undeniable that many people have filled their hearts with good intentions by sharing or supporting this cause. Maybe their trust is misguided, but good intentions always go a long way with me, regardless of the outcome.

This puts it best: "The idea that popular opinion can be leveraged with viral marketing to induce foreign military intervention is really, really dangerous. It is immoral to try and sell a sanitized vision of foreign intervention that neglects the fact that people will die as a result. That goes for politicians as much as for Jason Russell.”

Here's the whole article from the Post:

A short documentary aimed at bringing to justice accused war criminal Joseph Kony, the fugitive head of Uganda's Lord's Resistance Army rebels, exploded online Wednesday, drawing praise and criticism from the millions who viewed it.

The 30-minute film, made by the U.S. organization Invisible Children, tells the story of a child soldier named Jacob and the charity's push to have America intervene to stop the rebels.

The campaign kicked off just as the LRA, a cultish militia that has terrorized parts of Africa for decades, has launched a spate of attacks in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

Millions of Twitter users used the hashtag # s t o p kony, which was vying for the top trending spot against other popular topics such as the iPad 3 and football player Peyton Manning.

"Dear Joseph Kony, I'm Gonna help Make you FAMOUS!!!! We will stop YOU #StopKONY ! All 6,000,000 of my followers RT NOW!!! Pls!" hip-hop icon and fashion mogul Sean "Diddy" Combs said on his Twitter feed.

"#KONY2012," tweeted singer Rihanna.

Started in 1998, the LRA is believed to have killed, kidnapped and mutilated tens of thousands of people

in a reign of terror across some of Africa's most

remote and hostile terrain. Young

boys are often sent to war and young girls forced to become sex slaves.

Although indicted in 2005 by the International Criminal Court, Mr. Kony, a former altar boy whose movement draws on messianic beliefs and a smattering of Christian motifs, has so far evaded capture.

The film's narrator, Jason Russell, explains how U.S. advisors to Uganda could train government forces in the technology needed to hunt down Mr. Kony in the jungle. Last October, U.S. President Barack Obama agreed he would send 100 troops.

"We've come so far but Kony is still out there," says Mr. Russell in the film. "He's recently changed his tactics, making it even more difficult to capture him."

Although the viral response to the campaign was largely supportive, some critics denounced the push to hunt down Mr. Kony as irresponsible foreign policy.

"The immediate question is whether [Mr. Kony] is captured or killed," wrote PhD student Jack McDonald, on the Kings of War blog from the department of war studies at King's College London.

"[it] might not be too tasteful if millions of You-Tube viewers worldwide wake up to the fact that they are directly responsible for the decision to go after a man, that gets him killed. I wouldn't shed a tear over [Mr. Kony's] death, but it is worth considering. The second consideration is what happens afterwards."

Mr. McDonald said he supports the desire to raise the profile of the "heinous nature" of Mr. Kony's crimes but still considers the Kony 2012 campaign dangerous.

"The idea that popular opinion can be leveraged with viral marketing to induce foreign military intervention is really, really dangerous," he writes. "It is immoral to try and sell a sanitized vision of foreign intervention that neglects the fact that people will die as a result. That goes for politicians as much as for Jason Russell."

Invisible Children did not respond to a request for comment.

The LRA rebels number several hundred, a fraction of their strength at their peak but still include a core of hardened fighters.

The UN refugee agency UNHCR said the LRA was striking again after a lull in late 2011.

One person has been killed, 17 abducted and 3,000 displaced in 20 attacks in Orientale province in northeastern Congo this year.

However, Mounoubai Madnodje, a spokesman for the UN's Stabilization Mission in the Democratic Republic of Congo said the LRA was on its last legs.

"We think right now it's the last gasp of a dying organization that's still trying to make a statement," he said.

Invisible Children has not been without controversy. The non-profit has come in for some criticism for channelling a majority of its raised funds -- some 70% or more, according to some accounts -- to salaries, travel expenses and filmmaking, with charity watchdog Charity Navigator giving the group a low two-star rating for lack of financial accountability.

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/catch+warlord+first+word+Twitter/6269897/story.html#ixzz1oeutzP3m

Archived