The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cats Being Killed In Maple Ridge (Warning The Article Is Brutal)

AppleJack

12 cats have been killed and mutilated in Maple Ridge over the last year. The police and SPCA are pleading with the public for information as well as telling pet owners to keep there kitties inside. I didn't know about this until I saw it on the news tonight and was beyond shocked. Not only is this type of behavior a precursor to a serial killer but its just beyond disgusting. The poor little Kitty's. I am just beyond horrified (seriously I had to go and hug my kitten) that some sicko would do something like this and I really hope they catch the guy really soon. Anyways I just wanted to warn people about this (since I had no clue this was happening) just in case they or anyone else they know live in Maple Ridge have beloved pets.

http://www.vancouver...1280/story.html

Thats effed up, people like this do not have a normal brain, they have a sick sadistic mind and are a danger to society.

Just diguisting that people can be like this.

So glad I dont live by maple ridge or my poor cat wouldnt be let outside which he loves so much, in the summer.

Its also a little scary not only cause of the poor animals that didn't deserve to be treated like that but also cause of the fact that this could turn out to be worse, way worse really soon.. I am just glad that I keep my little kitty safe inside where no scary people can get her.

My sister accidentally killed her four cats when she was younger. She found a bucket of my step-dads antifreeze in our carport and dumped it out on the snow because she thought her cats would get into the bucket. They licked up the antifreeze snow and died. It was a sad day.

Speaking of cats living a long time, my grandfather's cat lived to over the age of 25. He got the cat for my grandma while she was dying of cancer at the age of thirty two. She has been gone for close to thirty years now and the cat just died three or four years ago.

As my wife has worked in veterinary field for many yeears I can tell you that indoor cats do not get anitfreeze poisening (which causes a cruel and agonizing death for your pet),eat poisened mice,get hit by cars, suffer cat bites leading to abscess,fall from heights, get ticks,ear mites,fleas,tapeworms,roundworm or get diseases from other cats like rabies, distemper, upper respitory infection. They also do not get eaten by coyotes, eagles and other predetors. It is more unlikely that they will be catkapped as well. Some things to think about before letting Fluffy out for a romp. People that put their cat out for the night really perplex me. What are you thinking??? or are you...

As my wife has worked in veterinary field for many yeears I can tell you that indoor cats do not get anitfreeze poisening (which causes a cruel and agonizing death for your pet),eat poisened mice,get hit by cars, suffer cat bites leading to abscess,fall from heights, get ticks,ear mites,fleas,tapeworms,roundworm or get diseases from other cats like rabies, distemper, upper respitory infection. They also do not get eaten by coyotes, eagles and other predetors. It is more unlikely that they will be catkapped as well. Some things to think about before letting Fluffy out for a romp. People that put their cat out for the night really perplex me. What are you thinking??? or are you...

I'll agree with your point about letting the cat out at night. But you can't expect cats to never go outdoors. It's not natural.

I choose to keep my kitten inside because of the fact that I live near quite a few busy streets, and we always end up seeing Raccoons big ones in our back yard. I also did not want to have to worry about someone hurting my cat or walking off with her or any of the other dangers that are associated with animals going outside, yet I know how important it is for cats/dogs to get outside and play, and have fresh air. So I take my cat outside on a leash and we go for walks!! You can buy cat harness at any pet store and once the animal gets used to wearing one going outside with one is really a fun experience. Even though I intend for her to be an indoor cat I did get all her shots (including rabies) and she is spayed.

Anyways this is a choice I made for my pet because I live in the city and because I feel she won't be harmed this way. If I lived in Maple Ridge I personally would not allow her outside even if she had previously been an outdoor cat. I do know that this is some what hard to do but the risk that she would be killed by this monster is too great.

Another thing to keep in mind is the fact that there are other types of predators out there other then human predators. Animals such as a Coyote, Cougars or a Fisher have been known to attack cats and dogs from what they were saying on the news last night it sounded like they originally thought that these Maple Ridge cat attacks were caused by some kind of wild animal. The latest attacks have led to the police/vets believing that it is a human since the wounds on the poor dead kitties were a clean cut and could only have been done with some type of tool.

That's pretty freakin sick. Unfortunately the animal cruelty laws in the country are way to lenient so if they ever do catch this person, he/she probably won't get much jail time....if any.

And to the vet's spouse, good luck keeping my cat inside. He will find a way out, whether it's staking out the door when we come home or hiding and bolting when we leave, he is getting out. And I don't want him to be miserable all the time so we are ok with him being an outdoor cat. He doesn't stay out overnight or in bad weather, though. And we live at the end of a quiet cul-de-sac so there isn't much traffic.

Regarding the law you would think it would do more to protect animals and especially in cases like this where animals being killed in such a way is like a warning sign of someone who possibly could become a serial killer. I would hope that if they caught the person doing this that they would throw the book legally at him/her and not just give this person a small fine and like a year in jail or something lame like that.

Regarding the law you would think it would do more to protect animals and especially in cases like this where animals being killed in such a way is like a warning sign of someone who possibly could become a serial killer. I would hope that if they caught the person doing this that they would throw the book legally at him/her and not just give this person a small fine and like a year in jail or something lame like that.

Archived