The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo To New Jersey

I don t believe New Jersey would be a desired destination for Lou. I believe that even if Lou was to wave his no trade clause, it would only be to a team in or in close proximity to Florida. In my opinion it would be narrowed down to Florida, Tampa Bay, Dallas and Carolina.

In my mind Carolina is out as they don t possess the assets to make a logical deal for Vancouver.

Florida is out because they are experiencing success and probably wouldn t want to pay the price MG would ask.

Tampa Bay could be a potential partner in a deal. They are desperate for a solid goaltender and the fact that Lou is locked up long term could make him attractive to them. In return, I would think a Ted Purcell would have to come back. Given a training camp to get used to our system and find his spot in the line up, I think he would be a good fit. Now, is this a fair straight up deal? Or do other pieces need to be added from either side to make it fair?

Another potential partner could be Dallas. They too need an upgrade in net. With new ownership (from Vancouver), they are clearly wanting to restructure their team in an effort to regain a solid fanbase. Lou, I think, would definately raise some eyebrows. With Jamie Benn being the centerpiece of that team, solid secondary scoring would be of definate interest to them. Enter Mayson Raymond. An RFA at the end of the season, I can see him wanting a fresh start. Adding his rights to the deal can only sweeten the pot for Dallas. He has shown in the past couple of weeks that he still has the potential to be top 9 on any roster, he simply doesn t fit in Vancity. Steve Ott would definately be coming the other way, but this is not enough to make the deal worth it, so what else could be added to make it worth it for MG to pull the trigger?

Thoughts?

Since Luongo has a NTC now I would think the only way he leaves vancouver is:

- he wins a stanley cup here

- we trade him to Tampa Bay Lightning (Florida)

Even in that scenario it's unlikely that we trade our stanley cup champion.

In the end Schneider is going to be in the middle of a bidding war between Tampa and CBJ.

Archived