The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo To New Jersey

Adam Larrson is a right handed Edler, drafted 4th overall last year. He is a blue chip prospect and exactly what we need in our current situation, someone to develop into a stud 4th defensemen. He is Swedish and it almost seems too real we could get him.

6"3 215

Who else do we get in this trade?

Alexi Ponikarovasky

6"4 220 LW who is the left handed winger we need on the third line once Raymond is gone. Imagine a 3rd line of Poni-Pahllson-Higgins Immense size, strength, and scoring touch.

Luongo, 1st, Raymond's rights, Schroeder and Ballard

Larrson

Ponikarovsky

Why does NJ do this? They have 2 goalies both on the brink of retiring. They need someone bad and who else to take over Brodeur's club than Luongo. NJ gives up their 4th overall pick and a decent 2.5 line LW they have more than enough of.

They acquire a decent center to develop, Raymond who is dying for a change of scenery, a capable defense men to replace Larrson and hopefully find his game. Another 1st. And a franchise goalie for 8 years.

Vancouver takes advantage of having Schneider in their situation, and they bolster the time to a point of near unstoppable. In essence we lose Raymond and Salo for Larrson and Poni.

Sedins Burrows

Booth Kesler Kassian

Ponikarovasky Pahllson Higgins

weise/manny Lapierre Hansen

Hamhuis Bieksa

Edler Larrson

Tanev Gragnani

Schneider

Lack

A new era of size on every line.

A near perfect replacement for Salo.

A bottom 6 as skilled as a bottom 9.

I must say can any one argue this isn't the same Detroit system that has been so successful. A 2nd line ready to become a 1st line, a 3rd checking veteran line, and an under payed 4th line.

Top 4 defensive system for years, a bottom pairing ready to develop into a top 4.

The goalie of the decade.

Well this is never hapenning but if we had to trade Luongo to NJ, I'd say we go with something like:

Larsson, Ponikarovsky, Hedberg and a 2nd for Luongo and Raymond, perhaps throw in some picks to sweaten the deal either way.

Basically Raymond is traded straight up for Ponikarovsky, essentially a wash.

That leaves Larsson and Hedberg for Luongo. Hedberg is a solid backup at best, and despite Larsson's hype, he hasn't dominated this season (2 goals, 18 points and a -7) so we're trading current quality for potential which is always a gamble because there is still a good chance he might not pan out, hence the 2nd rounder.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Higgins - Kesler - Booth

Ponikarovsky - Pahlsson - Hansen

Kassian - Malhotra - Lapierre

Bitz

Bieksa - Hamhuis

Edler - Larsson

Tanev - Gragnani

Schneider

Hedberg

That's assuming Ballard is traded for picks which should open up some more cap room, giving us quite a bit to sign Edler and potentially another top-4 defenceman. Definately a shaky defence, and I don't trust Schneider with 50-60 games just yet because we've only seen him play limited, pocket games but that lineup should be able to comfortably win another division title.

:rolleyes: Bankrupt Jersey is gunna take on 12.2 mill, $13.3 with Schroeder, in salary cap ? When they are already $63 mill against the cap themselves, and have to re-sign Parise... :P I can see why you chucked in a first !

:bigblush:

And even then; we get Hosed in this proposal.

Yea but you guys are assuming Luongo doesn't blow up

Raymond is a ufa we're basically trading negotiation, and we have a 27th overall 1st round and when would we need scroeder in the next 5 years now that we have Pahllson.

I don't know where you guys claim this is over payment, maybe drop ballard and it makes more sense.

Take Larrson off the Devils' blue line and it's a bottom-5 core. He's a tremendous prospect with sky-high potential.

Brodeur is supposedly going to carry on for one more year - why would they want Luongo? Or even Schneider? Unless we're giving up Tanev/Connauton, plus Kassian/Schroeder, plus a cap-friendly player like Burrows/Higgins, we won't have enough to persuade the Devils to part with their blue-chip franchise Dman.

I despair of all these lopsided deals that make the Canucks super-contenders in exchange for random assets that the trading team doesn't need...

Take Larrson off the Devils' blue line and it's a bottom-5 core. He's a tremendous prospect with sky-high potential.

Brodeur is supposedly going to carry on for one more year - why would they want Luongo? Or even Schneider? Unless we're giving up Tanev/Connauton, plus Kassian/Schroeder, plus a cap-friendly player like Burrows/Higgins, we won't have enough to persuade the Devils to part with their blue-chip franchise Dman.

I despair of all these lopsided deals that make the Canucks super-contenders in exchange for random assets that the trading team doesn't need...

Yea but you guys are assuming Luongo doesn't blow up

Raymond is a ufa we're basically trading negotiation, and we have a 27th overall 1st round and when would we need scroeder in the next 5 years now that we have Pahllson.

I don't know where you guys claim this is over payment, maybe drop ballard and it makes more sense.

Archived