The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Offseason Shakeup

I've created a thread similar to this before and I'd like to get people's thoughts. I'm not ready to give up on our core yet, however we are missing a few pieces. I've proposed a few deals that I think can help and are at least reasonable.

Re-signings

Cory Schneider 9 million/3 years @ 3 million per year

Sami Salo 2 million/1 year

Byron Bitz 700 thousand/1 year

Aaron Rome 1.8 million/2 years @ 900k per year

Marc-Andre Gragnani 605k/1 year

Eddie Lack 1.89 million/2 years @ 945k per year

At the draft:

To VAN

TB 1st

Brett Connolly

To TB

Roberto Luongo

Chris Tanev

Simple. Tampa needs a goalie. Vancouver needs to choose one. Yzerman might at least consider taking Luongo. Yes we all hate to deal Tanev, but there are necessary costs and I fear Tanev might not ever be better than a 3rd pair puck-mover. TB needs defensemen and Tanev may sweeten the deal just enough.

To VAN

Joe Pavelski

To SJ

TB 1st

Brett Connolly

This offseason, San Jose may be looking at minor blow-up, or re-tool Philly style. On HFboards, SJ fans believe Pavelski might be one to be moved and I think he would be a fantastic scoring addition to Vancouver. He has playmaking ability which is needed on the 2nd line and gives us a 2nd PP unit center again. I think the 1st and Connolly is enough. It's similar to the original Carter/Richards deals but on a smaller scale. Good pick and a good prospect.

Offseason:

Sign Kyle Chipchura 2 million/2 years @ 1 million per year

I was proposing to get Chipchura before his breakout game against the Hawks. I always thought he was defensively responsible, physical and he's able to play center. Perfect for the 4th line. He might not be qualified as an RFA, allowing us to sign him in the summer. If he is qualified I would still try the offer sheet route.

Trade Alberts to some team in need of defensive depth (NYI) for something like a 6th rounder.

To VAN

Jamie McBain

To CAR

Mason Raymond

Van 2nd

Andrew Gordon

This one's probably the toughest sell. I'm hoping with emergence of Faulk and with Murphy/Dumoulin knocking on the door, it may make McBain somewhat expendable. Carolina is supposed to be making a big pitch for Suter and may need to clear roster space. Carolina desperately needs top-nine forwards and on a team like Carolina in the East, I think even Raymond could be successful. They get a 2nd as well and a depth forward/call-up. We get a mobile, fairly physical and offensive right-handed defenseman.

Sign Jamie McBain 9 million/3 years @ 3 million per year.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / David Booth ($4.250m)

Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Joe Pavelski ($4.000m)

Chris Higgins ($1.900m) / Jordan Schroeder ($1.025m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Kyle Chipchura ($1.000m) / Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m)

Byron Bitz ($0.700m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)

Alexander Edler ($3.250m) / Jamie McBain ($3.000m)

Keith Ballard ($4.200m) / Sami Salo ($2.000m)

Aaron Rome ($0.900m) / Marc-Andre Gragnani ($0.605m)

GOALTENDERS

Cory Schneider ($3.000m)

Eddie Lack ($0.945m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,925,000; BONUSES: $125,000

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $375,000

Solid top-six mix. Giving the 3-hole to Schroeder is a little risky, but I think he's going to surprise people next season. This year Hodgson was essentially handed that position and Schroeder has put up number similar to Hodgson did last year in the AHL. Schroeder is much better defensively now and I actually prefer the three-line attack set to the standard top-six + checking line. Not like Pahlsson really shut down anyone in the playoffs anyway. That job was given back to Kesler. Solid 4th line. Bitz is just there if we need a goon.

Defense has 3 solid pairs. Good mix of offense, defense, physicality and mobility. Rome and Grags are the depth guys. Connauton will be the first one called-up.

Schneids is the guy in goal. Lack will back him up.

Whew. There it is. Pretty lengthy but I hope you read it to the end.

This.

The Canucks need some changes. I propose the following.

To NSH: This trade is based on a next round exit for Nashville.

Alexander Edler

David Booth

Mason Raymond

To VAN:

Shea Weber

This trade will make our defense instantly better. Weber is a superstar that lives up to his billing. He is the best overall defenseman in the NHL.

Weber Hamhuis

Bieksa Ballard

Tanev Gragani

Next

To N J

Roberto Luongo

Andrew Alberts

Aaron Rome

To VAN

Zach Parise

We give Roberto a way out. He deserves better than to deal with Canucks bandwagoners

Kesler gets a linemate in Zach Parise. Along with Maxim Lapierre this line will dominate.

Our roster looks like this puck drop October.

Daniel Sedin - Henrik Sedin - Alexandre Burrows

Zach Parise - Ryan Kesler - Maxim Lapierre

Chris Higgins - Sammi Pahlsson - Jannik Hansen

Byron Bitz - Manny Malholtra - Zack Kassian

Shea Weber - Dan Hamhuis

Kevin Bieksa - Keith Ballard

Marc Andre Gragani/Chris Tanev - Sami Salo (if he doesn't retire)

Cory Schnieder

Eddie Lack

To me......that looks good. We give up two franchise players but are able to adjust and improve.

Brett Connolly in my opinion is small, and i'd rather have kept CoHo. We could more easily/cheaply trade NYI to get grabner too.

It'd be sweet to get McBain but Carolina is STOKED on him. Why not throw Skinner in there too while you're at it.

Pavelski is somewhat of a line cancer. We dont need more of those along with Kesler. Although a center who can play wing obviously adds versatility and could potentially put a good scorer on the third or a good scorer on the 2nd wing, either way it looks good. Still, apparently Gillis doesn't want skill and AV was unwilling to put beloved Kesler on the wing with CoHo centering, so apparently thats not the look we're going for?

I've created a thread similar to this before and I'd like to get people's thoughts. I'm not ready to give up on our core yet, however we are missing a few pieces. I've proposed a few deals that I think can help and are at least reasonable.

Re-signings

Cory Schneider 9 million/3 years @ 3 million per year

Sami Salo 2 million/1 year

Byron Bitz 700 thousand/1 year

Aaron Rome 1.8 million/2 years @ 900k per year

Marc-Andre Gragnani 605k/1 year

Eddie Lack 1.89 million/2 years @ 945k per year

At the draft:

To VAN

TB 1st

Brett Connolly

To TB

Roberto Luongo

Chris Tanev

Simple. Tampa needs a goalie. Vancouver needs to choose one. Yzerman might at least consider taking Luongo. Yes we all hate to deal Tanev, but there are necessary costs and I fear Tanev might not ever be better than a 3rd pair puck-mover. TB needs defensemen and Tanev may sweeten the deal just enough.

To VAN

Joe Pavelski

To SJ

TB 1st

Brett Connolly

This offseason, San Jose may be looking at minor blow-up, or re-tool Philly style. On HFboards, SJ fans believe Pavelski might be one to be moved and I think he would be a fantastic scoring addition to Vancouver. He has playmaking ability which is needed on the 2nd line and gives us a 2nd PP unit center again. I think the 1st and Connolly is enough. It's similar to the original Carter/Richards deals but on a smaller scale. Good pick and a good prospect.

Offseason:

Sign Kyle Chipchura 2 million/2 years @ 1 million per year

I was proposing to get Chipchura before his breakout game against the Hawks. I always thought he was defensively responsible, physical and he's able to play center. Perfect for the 4th line. He might not be qualified as an RFA, allowing us to sign him in the summer. If he is qualified I would still try the offer sheet route.

Trade Alberts to some team in need of defensive depth (NYI) for something like a 6th rounder.

To VAN

Jamie McBain

To CAR

Mason Raymond

Van 2nd

Andrew Gordon

This one's probably the toughest sell. I'm hoping with emergence of Faulk and with Murphy/Dumoulin knocking on the door, it may make McBain somewhat expendable. Carolina is supposed to be making a big pitch for Suter and may need to clear roster space. Carolina desperately needs top-nine forwards and on a team like Carolina in the East, I think even Raymond could be successful. They get a 2nd as well and a depth forward/call-up. We get a mobile, fairly physical and offensive right-handed defenseman.

Sign Jamie McBain 9 million/3 years @ 3 million per year.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / David Booth ($4.250m)

Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Joe Pavelski ($4.000m)

Chris Higgins ($1.900m) / Jordan Schroeder ($1.025m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Kyle Chipchura ($1.000m) / Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m)

Byron Bitz ($0.700m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)

Alexander Edler ($3.250m) / Jamie McBain ($3.000m)

Keith Ballard ($4.200m) / Sami Salo ($2.000m)

Aaron Rome ($0.900m) / Marc-Andre Gragnani ($0.605m)

GOALTENDERS

Cory Schneider ($3.000m)

Eddie Lack ($0.945m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,925,000; BONUSES: $125,000

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $375,000

Solid top-six mix. Giving the 3-hole to Schroeder is a little risky, but I think he's going to surprise people next season. This year Hodgson was essentially handed that position and Schroeder has put up number similar to Hodgson did last year in the AHL. Schroeder is much better defensively now and I actually prefer the three-line attack set to the standard top-six + checking line. Not like Pahlsson really shut down anyone in the playoffs anyway. That job was given back to Kesler. Solid 4th line. Bitz is just there if we need a goon.

Defense has 3 solid pairs. Good mix of offense, defense, physicality and mobility. Rome and Grags are the depth guys. Connauton will be the first one called-up.

Schneids is the guy in goal. Lack will back him up.

Whew. There it is. Pretty lengthy but I hope you read it to the end.

Archived