The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Playmaking Winger

Hi.

I am not going to make a proposal, but step back and discuss with you guys who would make a good passer for Kesler & Booth.

I going to list the 5 most common pass first players mentioned on these boards:

- Teddy Purcell

- Kristian Huselius

- Zach Parise

- P.A. Parenteau

- Ray Whitney

Here are 5 less common pass first players mentioned:

- Alex Tanguay

- Blake Wheeler

- Loui Eriksson

- Joffrey Lupul

- Ryan Getzlaf (Though a center, played RW at times & apparently were interested in him)

Here are 5 pass first guys that HAVE NOT been mentioned:

- Martin Erat

- Valtteri Filppula

- Justin Williams

- Vinny Prospal

- David Perron

Some of these guys are borderline pass first players, but please discuss. Are any of these 15 players acquirable?

Loui Eriksson is untouchable as can be, as is Lupul. Blake Wheeler is hardly a 'playmaker'. Neither really is Martin Erat, who plays best as a RWer. Vinny Prospal was just re-signed by CBJ, so I doubt he will be moved. Filpulla would come at a pretty big expense. Parise is definitely an elite forward, but I wouldn't classify him as a playmaker 1st type player.

The ideas of Ray Whitney & Kristian Huselius make the most sense on your list. Maybe PAP as well, although he's probably going to cash-in on a good season and probably won't be the most cap-friendly choice.

Another guy with a high hockey IQ and is soon to be a UFA is Steve Sullivan. There's a reason the guy has 447 career assists. Had 31 this year. Was a PPG in the playoffs as well. Of course (like Whitney) his age could be a problem.

I've mentioned this in other threads, but Huselius is probably the best option. He's going to probably sign a smaller contract due to his recent injuries, he isn't a small body (at the very least he is stronger on the puck than Raymond) and he can also play a puck possession style game with the Sedins if the coach needs to shake things up. Signing him on a 1 year/3-4 million dollar contract could end up being a very shrewd move.

I'd prefer to get a Center and to push Kesler to the wing. Let a better/more creative stickhandler work the dman and have kesler use his speed to get to the open area. Then when he gets the puck its just "shoot" no thinking no moves just shots. Preferably a guy that can win pucks down low and find Kesler at the circles to fire his shot. if we get center who can play down low. Booth takes up the front of the net and Kesler skates into the open spaces and just fn takes shots.

I think Vinny Prospal would be a solid addition that could be had for relatively cheap.

I think a simple Raymond for Prospal swap would work (I actually proposed it not long ago)

I know Raymonds value is low, but at 37 years of age Prospal isn't in their long term plans.

Columbus may have trouble luring free agents, and Raymond would definitely fit in their top 6 short term and possibly long term.

Hi.

I am not going to make a proposal, but step back and discuss with you guys who would make a good passer for Kesler & Booth.

I going to list the 5 most common pass first players mentioned on these boards:

- Teddy Purcell

- Kristian Huselius

- Zach Parise

- P.A. Parenteau

- Ray Whitney

Here are 5 less common pass first players mentioned:

- Alex Tanguay

- Blake Wheeler

- Loui Eriksson

- Joffrey Lupul

- Ryan Getzlaf (Though a center, played RW at times & apparently were interested in him)

Here are 5 pass first guys that HAVE NOT been mentioned:

- Martin Erat

- Valtteri Filppula

- Justin Williams

- Vinny Prospal

- David Perron

Some of these guys are borderline pass first players, but please discuss. Are any of these 15 players acquirable?

Don't we already have a play making winger in Higgins? The Amex line was actually pretty good there for a while.

If Kassian has a good summer maybe he will be ready to be a solid 3rd line winger.

Booth Kesler Higgins

Kassian - xxxxxx - Hansen

Manny - Lappy - Bitz

Archived