The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Insider Trading on Roberto Luongo

Jonathan Canuck

Why should MG come out and tell everyone his plan. That's an easy way to lower trade values and get less in return. The fact he can leverage both Schneider and Luongo drives the price up for teams that want one or the other. Just look at trades when players admit they want out, the return is never good enough.

Be patient, wait and let MG do his thing.

I've also been quiet through these hours playing the dummy along with the crowd, but I'm going to be honest - I want Luongo to stay over Schneider. The only reason I see Luongo getting traded instead of Schneider is because he has a higher trade value. Yes, Luongo has the higher trade value.

The thing is, the Vancouver Canucks are a contender that needs one or two pieces to get back to elite status. If one of our goaltenders can get us that, then we have a solid team that is good enough to win regardless of who's back there. Schneider can't get us those pieces - Luongo can.

That's why Luongo may get traded - because it doesn't matter for us who's in net between Luongo and Schneider as long as we have that solid return that addresses our needs on defense (particularly the right side) - because we have a solid team.

Guest Dasein

Haha this dude is out to lunch maybe you should watch or listen to more hockey analysis. Or maybe you should become one to make this bold statement or honesty haha. Yup alot teams prefer older goaltender with big contract hahatoo funny

Haha this dude is out to lunch maybe you should watch or listen to more hockey analysis. Or maybe you should become one to make this bold statement or honesty haha. Yup alot teams prefer older goaltender with big contract hahatoo funny

Luongo has 30+ wins in the last 7 seasons, got his team to game 7 of Stanley Cup Finals, won Olympic Gold for Canada and is a proven starter who is guaranteed to get your team into the playoffs. He's 33 years old which means he has at least 4-5 more great years left in him at a relatively low cap hit of $5.3mil in comparison to the goalies around him of similar talent. Yes, his contract is huge, but he will retire long before it runs out when he's out of his prime. And there are 2 out clauses in the contract that allows the team to walk away at 2018. When you see 38 year old Thomas and 40 year old Brodeur in SCFs, age is not of concern as Luongo is only 33.

Schneider is 26 years old and entering his prime and looks like he's as good as if not better than Luongo at the moment. He has never been a starter playing 60+ games every season. He has never played in pressure games like Olympic Gold Medal games, Game 7 OT vs Chicago or started a the Stanley Cup Finals game. He's unproven.

Luongo, because he is a proven commodity, can demand multiple assets - maybe roster players, maybe prospects, maybe draft picks. Schneider, on the other hand, can only garner maybe one or two prospects. Why? Because techinically, he is a prospect too.

For example, Luongo would be worth Jake Gardiner + ______ in return because Luongo is a guaranteed commodity. Yes, Gardiner had a promising rookie season, but he's still not proven to be a top 2 defenseman, whereas Luongo is guaranteed 30+ win starter. Therefore, the other team has to pay up. However, Schneider is only worth Jake Gardiner in return because they are both unproven in their positions as top 2 defenseman and starting goaltender.

Do some more research, kid. Luongo is much more valuable than Schneider is on the trade block.

Guest Dasein

Schneider has way more value in a trade, he's younger and he just dethroned Luongo for the starter role!!!!! teams will drool over getting Schneider but teams are iffy on taking on Luongo due to his contract and age. Personally I think a lot of Canuck fans are stuck in la la land with thinking we'll get the 5th overall and Gardiner for Luongo from the Leafs.

Schneider also isn't unproven he played in a lot of big key games and played more playoff games than Luongo this past season, well standing on his head.

You could get a junior B goalie to suit up for the Canucks and win 30 games ! Luongo is meciocre on a first place team ! Wake up and smell the coffee....Lou can;t carry Schneid's hockey bag at the moment. Lou will be backup here, or starter in Toronto. Hope that gets yur attention !

If I were Gillis, I would try for the best goalie tendem in the league and use that as proof to CS from MG that Corey isn't just a "piece" to ship off. Maybe he offers him a one or two year deal to be a 50% goalie here. Lou seems to be okay with what ever the team wants.

With the cap going up, I can clearly see the NUX running a two goalie system. Even if they have to sign Corey to a luongo-like (money) contract in smaller terms. Maybe 6 years with a 4 mil cap hit, front loaded. Give the guy a fair contract, with a fair market value, UFA inflation aside.

This is LA's year. No one can argue that after seeing how they've put every team they've played to rest with ease.

He hasn't dethroned S*&#. A career is not made of 3 playoff games.

Schneider only started 3 playoff games, all of which were in the first round. He played two games with Daniel in the lineup, and he was STILL only 1W2L. That's only one win better than Luongo, who had no run support and played only two games without Daniel.

Three playoff games in the first round isn't convincing to anybody - especially considering the body of work Luongo has put out there (as I mentioned in my previous post which you replied to).

There's no reason to be iffy on Luongo's age - looking at the likes of Brodeur and Thomas, who Luongo is similar to. In addition, Luongo's contract is long so that the cap hit is low when Luongo is in his prime, which is now and 4-5 years from now. After that, he will retire and the team doesn't need to deal with his contract any longer.

Luongo is a proven 30+ win starter who will do it again and again and get his team into the playoffs the next 5 years. That's something you pay a premium for. Schneider, though it looks as he has all the tools to equal or better Luongo, is not proven. So he won't bring as much back as Luongo would.

I could care less about the regular season anymore, Schneider just seems much assertive/strong minded and has a smidgen more of a calming influence on the team, as CS doesn't let losses or goals get to him emotionally.

And CS will likely get about $3.75M-4M per for about 6 years pretty quick imo.

RL in the east should get us enough assests for now and the future to help the team be effective for another rare chance to win it all, all we need is one Stanley Cup championship please!!!!!!!!

Guest Dasein

You have too big of a crush on Luongo that your not seeing things correctly. AV came out and said he played Schneider cause he gave us the better chance to win, now this playoffs for sure wasn't Luongo fault and Luongo play was much better than his stats but Schneider's play was also better than Luongo's and has stolen the #1 job, this is pretty clear.

Schneider would hands down bring back a much bigger return as he doesn't have 40+ million left on a 10 year deal, Schneider is also much younger giving a team(Canucks) much longer security in net. I'd be pretty shocked if we get a lot for Luongo even BMac was saying teams won't pay much for Luongo cause of the amount of money and years left on the contract, if Gillis can get the 5th overall great! Luongo skill level equals that kinda return but his contract and money owing is a big negative.

Anyways after getting embarrassed in the playoffs changes need to happen and trading Luongo is part of that change, I wouldn't be shocked if more core guys are moved, Gillis said something on the lines that changes need to happen and we need to get bigger and younger and I do agree with that, we're too soft for the West and this team will get bullied around again the cat is out of the bag on how to beat this Canucks team.

Schneider gave us a better chance to win at that point in time. And once again, Schneider hasn't stolen Luongo's starting role on this team. If the two are back in training camp, they will compete for the #1 job.

Just because Schneider started the last 3 playoff games doesn't mean he is the future. It's too small a sample size to rely on to make predictions about the future if both are back.

You're insane if you think Schneider would bring back more assets than Luongo at this point. Luongo is one of those elite proven starters who people would use as assets (ie, Jake Gardiner, Luke Schenn, Brett Connolly, draft picks etc) to get him. Schneider is one of those unproven promising young assets that you use as a part of your package to get proven players (ie, Rick Nash, Shea Weber, etc).

MG's talking to Luongo this week to see where he is after we've had some time to put aside the emotions from this loss. We'll see where this goes. If Luongo gets traded, I'm okay with it because I think Schneider can get the job done and get us into the playoffs. If Schneider gets traded, I know Luongo can get the job done because he's done it many times with us. But if it's about who gets a higher return, then Luongo hands down has the higher value.

Guest Dasein

Completely disagree with you when it comes to value between Schneider and Luongo, I think your way off as Luongo's contract is a killer for value, his value would be much more if his contract didn't suck and this takes a lot of teams out of the running as they just can't commit to that much money, this lowering the bidding war to say Toronto, if Schneider was on the table you's have Toronto, Tampa, Columbus, Hawks, Devils, Oilers, Sharks and more in the running as he's younger shown he can play at a high level in the NHL and he won't have a retarded contract coming with him.

His contract? Please. It is a low cap hit for an elite goaltender of his calibre, and Luongo has at least 4-5 years of great goaltending left in him. Once he runs out of prime, Luongo will retire, and the cap hit will no longer be an issue to the team. They will only have Luongo at $5.3mil for as long as Luongo is playing and playing in his prime.

If not, the team has an out clause on Luongo's NTC in 2018 and can move him wherever they wish to.

Schneider on the table would not garner as much as Luongo because he's UNPROVEN. He's never been a starter at the NHL level and no matter how promising he looks, he's not a guaranteed starter - and that takes a hit on Schneider's trade value. He's young, yes. He's cheap, but only because he's unproven.

Take your Schneider homer glasses off. Nobody would pay more for Schneider than they would for Luongo this summer - not until Schneider has started a full season for an NHL team.

Guest Dasein

You have no idea what your talking about... even all the hockey insiders are saying value wise it's Schneider >>>>> Luongo, BMac has talked about this a few times. I think Canuck fans who think we'll get the 5th overall and Gardiner are way off to left field or the Leaf fans who think a cap dump will get Luongo are also way off to left field, if we sign Justin Schultz I'd be happy with a deal like this

To Toronto

Luongo

To Vancouver

Schenn

Ashton

We need a D man with size and grit that Schenn brings and Ashton is a tough power forward prospect with upside that'll fit nicely with Kassian and what we lack and need.

Hamhuis Bieksa

Edler Schultz

Ballard Schenn

Tanev

Rome

like Gillis said we need to get younger and bigger.

Get me a quote of any analyst specifically saying that Schneider's value is marginally significant than Luongo's. Until then, you're just talking out of your ass.

A proven commodity is always valued more than an unproven one. For example, reason why Yzerman is going after Bernier and not Luongo - Luongo is proven and therefore would cost more (in Yzerman's mind, too much apparently). Same with Schneider. Schneider is more proven than Bernier, but he's still not a proven starter like Luongo is, and hence lesser trade value than Luongo.

Archived