The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2013-2014 should be where the Canucks get younger :)

Sedinstwin

It's obvious everyone is worried about what will happen after this season, especially me. It's troublesome because as of right now our lineup in 2013-2014 consists of 12 players and out of the 11 players that are becoming UFA's (one RFA) I would say 4 of them are players we absolutely need to keep if we want to still be considered one of the best teams (depth wise). Higgins, Edler, Burrows and Tanev. Now with the NHL trying to come to agreements with the new CBA, I doubt Gillis will do any resigning/signing APART from MAYBE Doan until then. Which is smart since we aren't clear on what will change. I personally am hoping the UFA age range changes to 28-30 which is what is being predicted. Reason being Edler (Raymond too) would be an RFA oppose to being a UFA. So now, like I said in the beginning we have 12 players signed for 2013-2014, two of those players are expected/hoped to be traded by then. Ballard and Luongo. If I was MG, I'd try to trade Ballard in a package deal before the new CBA comes out because basically the guidelines will change so players will be more affordable for teams and if there really is any interest at all, take it now.

UFA's next season

----------------------

Pini, Patti, Ebbet, Manny, Raymond, Edler, Lappy, Burrows, Alberts, Higgins.

RFA's

----------------------

We actually have a ton of prospects contracts running out next season including Schroeder, Tanev along with Connauton. Weise is also a RFA.

So Ballard + Luongo = 9.5m (rounded down)

So assuming in return we get a backup goalie = 3m and a prospect/draft pick.

9.5m - 3m = 6.5m

Now with 19.3m (rounded up) cap space next season, here is how I am thinking it should go. 19.3m + 6.5m = 25.8m

Doan - 5.5m

Burrows - 4-5m (He wouldn't want to be anywhere else, if he has to, he would take a discount. After all he was the one who convinced Bieksa to take a discount.)

Edler - 5m-5.5m (People will say he is like Ehrhoff, not exactly, Edler was here a lot longer then Ehrhoff as well as he has an awesome relationship with the Sedins and gets along with everyone in the locker room. He is also more shy and I just can't see him being comfortable going to another team.)

Higgins - 2m-2.5m

THIS ADDS UP TO 16.5M - 18.5M

Line up so far:

Sedin-Sedin-Burr

Booth-Kes-Doan

Higgins-??-Hansen

??-??-Kassian

Bieksa-Hamhuis

Edler-Garrison

??-??

Okay, now fill in the blanks. 25.8 - 18.5m = 7.3

(RFA) Tanev - 2m?

(RFA) Connauton - 1.5m?

(RFA) Schroeder - 1.5m?

Jensen - 900k (rounded up)

Lappy - 1.5m

= 7.4m

So now our bottom lines/ pairings

Higgins-Schroeder-Hansen

Jensen-Lappy-Kassian (Oh come on, what a line that would be!)

OR

Jensen-Schroeder-Hansen

Higgins-Lappy-Kassian (Or that?)

Bottom pairing would be Connauton and Tanev, I wouldn't mind them as third pairing. Well, we might have to mix it up but it won't be bad. I mean its a lot better then having a player with an annual salary of 4.2m on third pairing.

So say (if we went by the cheaper version) and had 2m + if we can still go 10% over the cap in summer + if the Salary Cap goes higher, which most likely it will. We would need to get another D extra so FA. Yes, free agency is strong next year but most of those players look like they would resign with original teams. Including two of our very own, Burr and Edler. Having the team like this not only brings speed and skill. Look at the variety of age. Doan and the Sedin's would make amazing leaders for this group.

It will be sad letting Raymond and Manny walk but right now I don't see any other way. Unless if we go over the cap. Which is very likely but until the new CBA comes out, not much we can base on right now. If the salary cap goes up by just a little bit, there is a chance we can keep both for 1.5 each. Or test our luck in free agency. :)

I realize we are taking a chance with our rookies, but they ARE our top prospects so it wouldn't be that big of a risk. Only risk I think would be Connauton and Tanev as a pairing.

THIS IS JUST MY OPINION AND IDEAS! I am in no way trying to sell that I am an expert. Just trying to start a discussion about our teams future.

Post what you would change? Do differently? ETC.

Change the "could" to "should" in the thread title and you've got it bang on, Sedinstwin!

I think a youth movement needs to happen this year.

And I agree with you, RUPERT. We have been spoiled as fans to watch the Sedins for a decade. They will be sorely missed when they are gone.

:towel::canucks:

Why are we paying our back up 3 million? Injuries and ltir's are possible (knock on wood). No one thought we could keep Juice in 2010-11 yet here he is under contract for the foreseeable future. Playing GM and with the numbers is all fun and dandy but no point getting worried. Its ridiculous to think we're gonna lose Burrows and Edler to free agency. Burrows will resign for sure as he's as loyal as they come and Edler will as well unless he's greedy and chases money rather than a cup in which case there's nothing we can do about it anyway.

It's obvious everyone is worried about what will happen after this season, especially me. It's troublesome because as of right now our lineup in 2013-2014 consists of 12 players and out of the 11 players that are becoming UFA's (one RFA) I would say 4 of them are players we absolutely need to keep if we want to still be considered one of the best teams (depth wise). Higgins, Edler, Burrows and Tanev. Now with the NHL trying to come to agreements with the new CBA, I doubt Gillis will do any resigning/signing APART from MAYBE Doan until then. Which is smart since we aren't clear on what will change. I personally am hoping the UFA age range changes to 28-30 which is what is being predicted. Reason being Edler (Raymond too) would be an RFA oppose to being a UFA. So now, like I said in the beginning we have 12 players signed for 2013-2014, two of those players are expected/hoped to be traded by then. Ballard and Luongo. If I was MG, I'd try to trade Ballard in a package deal before the new CBA comes out because basically the guidelines will change so players will be more affordable for teams and if there really is any interest at all, take it now.

Honestly it all depends on which prospects are ready to make the jump from the AHL to the NHL so it could be this up and coming season for some or the next season. It all depends on who is ready and who Gillis signed or trades for.

But I would like to see some of our defensive prospects make the jump to the NHL though even if it is for 2-3 games just for the experience.

I didn't read your whole post, however, based just on the bolded portion, I feel you're leaving something major out. If say Burrows or Higgins doesn't get re-signed why can't our prospects step up by then? Kassian/Schroeder/Jensen could easily improve enough by then to fill in if we are unable to re-sign players.

--Higgins, unfortunately, will command over twice the amount suggested (2 million) if he duplicates his PPG and has an infection free season.

--With Burrows the thing to do is play him less with Sedins to gage his independent production ability and see if that alone is worth 4.5. If someone like Kassian could produce in his place it would give us great flexibility.

--If Edler renews it will make 5 D men on long term contracts, restricting the upper mobility of newbies. Not great for development unless someone goes.

--The trouble with being a perennial contender it that it's not a rookie accepting environment and cap limit teams in particular will opt for veterans to get that final push.

--We should be graduating something like 3 rookies every 2 years; obviously we're not. Perhaps cap restrictions will force our hand. Ironically, if Doan signs, it could trigger a youth movement as MG will have no choice but get more ELCs on the roster.

The coach has to win or he risks being fired.

The coach is not going to have a winning record icing an abundance of rookies.

Kassian and Sauve are my best guess for this year.

Both will play minor roles.

Next year it could be Schroeder and Connauton,barring a trade for a young d man.

With Tanev in the top 6 there is not a lot of room unless Edler or Ballard are traded in a deal.

I find it quite funny that people are always crying about getting prospects into the lines, yet don't really want any of the veterans to leave. Well, other than the typical dynamic duo of Raymond and Ballard who will get us an elite player in return.

:lol:

I don't understand what your main arguing point is? That they aren't replacing anyone? Obviously they are if they have a roster spot. But if you're expecting them to come out in their first year as a top experienced player like Burrows or another depth player like Higgins, well then I would reconsider how high your setting your hopes. Yes. I would be expecting them to make a difference but I don't expect their first, second or even third year coming in the NHL on the first or second line. Especially on a team that already has depth on the first two lines. Depth all around is what is going to win us the Stanley Cup, the ability to roll all 4 lines is going to win us the Cup. We haven't been able to do that. Adding our top veteran players with our top rookies not only prepares our rookies for their future (until the time are veterans retire or leave) but also gives us the chance to have a wide ranged mixed group, this brings us more speed, more skill which in the end equals more depth. I don't think any of the players I listed were drafted as intentions to replace someone so soon. Obviously in the future. But not right now. Gillis wants to get younger, this is easiest way, IN MY OPINION, to do so.

How do you not understand what my main arguing point is? It's that prospects in the system CAN replace guys currently playing on the team, further down the track. This is how a good team should work, not have to rely entirely on trades and FA signings.

Archived