The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Romney announces VP pick

G.K. Chesterton

Zaibatsu:

I think I can actually discern what you are advocating for - and that is both lower spending AND a universal healthcare system for the US. But.... your posts just come off as arrogant and insulting, which is probably why people can't take you seriously.

But onto the topic at hand:

While I agree that Obamacare is not truly universal healthcare - it is far closer than it was otherwise. Repealing this bill would not move the US any closer to a universal system. Why not leave this in place, until a new healthcare bill can be passed that is a truly universal system? (Will that happen in our lifetime? Probably not...). In my opinion, I don't think that Obamacare will increase government spending on healthcare, so why not allow the millions of uninsured Americans the chance to have at least some coverage? True, this does not address the issue which is the multi-payer insurance system of the US, but it pushes it closer to a system that we have here in Canada - or actually, a better comparable would be Germany.

Ryan's budget calls for drastic cuts to medicare - and you would have to agree, that is not the way to go either.

Paul Ryan already benefited from the Social Security fund he now wants to gut

Rep. Paul Ryan, the GOP’s most outspoken advocate for cutting and privatizing Social Security, has already benefited from Social Security himself, in the form of survivor benefits he received after his father’s untimely death.

From the age of 16, when his 55-year-old father died of a heart attack, until he was 18, Ryan received Social Security payments, which, according to a lengthy profile in WI Magazine, he put away for college. The eventual budget czar attended Miami University in Ohio to earn a B.A. in economics and political science, and landed a congressional internship as a junior.

Ryan’s congressional ascent, all the way to the top spot on the Budget Committee, began with his Social Security-funded college education.

Ryan’s so-called Roadmap for America’s Future budget plan proposed machete-like cuts — most notably to social services like Medicare and Social Security. Paul’s idea was to invest portions of Social Security funds in Wall Street, essentially forcing future recipients to make unsecured investments with with money they’ll later need for retirement — and endangering survivor benefits like the ones he received.

“Ryan credits his father’s death and the care of his grandmother as giving him first-hand experience as to how social service programs work,” WI Magazine wrote, referencing his Alzheimer’s-stricken grandmother, also a beneficiary of the social programs Ryan now opposes, who moved in with Ryan and his mother after his father died.

Without the Social Security benefits he received, Ryan would have had more difficulty attending college, and wouldn’t have become “Wisconsin’s fiscal dreamboat,” as the profile dubs him, or, as Democrats nationwide have painted him, the Enemy Number 1 to seniors and social services.

Ryan’s “Roadmap” for Social Security would drive toward privatization of Social Security, and an “eventual modernization of the retirement age.”

Sen. Charles Schumer (D-NY) wagged his finger at Ryan in a statement in January: “Paul Ryan owes it to the national audience tonight to explain why he wants to privatize Social Security and Medicare.”

Ryan’s Social Security reforms didn’t make it into the final draft of the budget the House passed last week, but as the chairman of the Budget Committee, he’s in a position to push the House to adopt his plan at a later date.

The focus in the social entitlements cut conversation has been on seniors, but “survivor benefits,” like the payments that Ryan and his family received, and help for the disabled, account for about a third of Social Security payments.

Rep. Paul Ryan’s office did not respond to Raw Story’s requests for comment.

via.pngRaw Story (http://s.tt/1d9Si)

It's not going to matter who gets elected. The US is going over the fiscal cliff and since it's the only way the democrats are ever going to get anything resembling a tax increase they are now in the driver's seat (right into the ditch, it's the US congress way!) in making sure that no new comprimise is ever enacted.

So Zaib cheer up big cuts to defense and a whole bunch of stuff that will make the already existing cuts look like the good old days to the entitled.

It's not going to matter who gets elected. The US is going over the fiscal cliff and since it's the only way the democrats are ever going to get anything resembling a tax increase they are now in the driver's seat (right into the ditch, it's the US congress way!) in making sure that no new comprimise is ever enacted.

So Zaib cheer up big cuts to defense and a whole bunch of stuff that will make the already existing cuts look like the good old days to the entitled.

Zaibatsu:

I think I can actually discern what you are advocating for - and that is both lower spending AND a universal healthcare system for the US. But.... your posts just come off as arrogant and insulting, which is probably why people can't take you seriously.

But onto the topic at hand:

While I agree that Obamacare is not truly universal healthcare - it is far closer than it was otherwise. Repealing this bill would not move the US any closer to a universal system. Why not leave this in place, until a new healthcare bill can be passed that is a truly universal system? (Will that happen in our lifetime? Probably not...). In my opinion, I don't think that Obamacare will increase government spending on healthcare, so why not allow the millions of uninsured Americans the chance to have at least some coverage? True, this does not address the issue which is the multi-payer insurance system of the US, but it pushes it closer to a system that we have here in Canada - or actually, a better comparable would be Germany.

Ryan's budget calls for drastic cuts to medicare - and you would have to agree, that is not the way to go either.

The Republicans hold a majority in the House of Representatives and they are also unabashed obstructionists in the Senate. Also, Obama's been ditch digging for the last 4 years. He'll need another 4 just to finish digging the U.S. out of Bush's 8 years of drunk driving .

20100515-CaptionWinner_Hartford.jpg

Both parties are completely full of crap, but as Sharp said Obama's been diligently ditch digging the last four years, and I'm willing to give him four more to wipe out Alfred E Neumann's mess. That said, I really wish the two major third parties, Libertarian and Green (which I'm a member of) were relevant enough to affect a significant difference in this election.

According to this CBS report, Obama has increased the National Debt by 4.939 trillion in his three years and two months in office (that was in March). It took Bush 8 years to reach a simlar amount.

http://www.cbsnews.c...han-under-bush/

Facts don't lie, despite the spin put on by Obama's supporter on this thread.

Ya and the democrats hold enough seats in the Senate to kill any comprimise bills (not that there was much danger of one). So over the cliff they are going.

I by certainly lay the majority of the blame the Republicans and their Americans for Tax Reform pledges that eliminated chances of comprimise FYI.

Next cartoon you can change it to "you can find it in the ditch, upside down, on fire, with two dead bodies in the trunk" since that's about how the US is going to be post fiscal cliff.

Not at all. In fact many of the very bills the Republicans introduced that the Democrats have agreed to, are the very same bills that when it came time to vote on, they voted against. Republicans have done whatever they can to obstruct the recovery of the economy after putting it into the ditch in the first place.

The continued push to extend the Bush tax cuts are more of the same from the Republicans.

Almost 2 trillion of that was inherited dept from the Bush legacy, and with the Re-thugs doing everything they can to block ANY job-creation bills, they have kept the US economy stuck in the mire .. add in the fact that the Re-thugs block any effort to increase revenues, and you have an "Empire" teetering on falling into an abyss .. both sides are controlled by the mufti-national interests that dictate American domestic policy ..

You want to fix the troubles in the US of A?? .. start with a guillotine .. and start with the top .1 of 1% .. now THAT would have a trickle-down effect!! .. anything else is posturing, a joke and similar to sticking one finger in the dyke and the other up yer nether region ..

If only the American's who believe they are "Exceptional" and "God's Chosen" could realize the rest of the world laughs behind their back at how screwed up their country is .. 1st in dollars spent on health care per capita and 17th in results? .. and that is fudged IMO ..

LMAO...I just spit Grape AMP all over the monitor...guillotine...LOVE it...start executing a few of these pricks who make enough money as it is already...that'll surely make people take notice of the plight of "normal" Americans...i.e. those who aren't in the millionaire tax bracket... ;)

Archived