The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Wireless Internet Question

Disaronno

Hey guys,

My parents are thinking about switching over to Wireless. They currently have all hard wired internet connections and was just wondering what you guys think is faster/better.

They are currently with Shaw (Langley Area) and have had a lot of dropped connections over the last 6 months. It's hard to understand why this is happening. I know over the last year a modem was replaced, but do believe that could be the route of the problem.

On a side note, I will ask this question in relation to purchasing a new modem.

• Is there software you need to download for the modem? or is it basically hook up, plug in and your ready to go?

Also, if they were to go with wireless would they need to purchase a network adapter/thumb drive card as their desktop does not currently support the hardware, or could they put their hard wire connections in the back of the wireless router?

• If yes, would it have the same effectiveness as a wireless connection?

If anyone has any knowledge/experience with Shaw wireless your input would be great. They have a decent internet package, however just wondering if wireless would be the way to go and would it stop the dropped connections?

Is there a lack of updates in certain regions for wired internet connections with the rapid growth of wireless connections? How does that work exactly?

Thanks,

- Disaronno

If you're still connecting to the same internet provider, in this case Shaw, then it won't matter if you have wired or wireless connections in your house. That assumes the internet keeps dropping from their end versus an issue with the modem or router you have at your house since having a wireless internet network setup at your house doesn't mean it gets the internet from somewhere else, it still comes from Shaw. Even in the event you buy your own modem, it still connects to Shaw unless you change service providers.

Speaking more generally about wired vs wireless (since it seems like you aren't too savvy about home networks) wired is faster but wireless is more convenient for laptops or rooms far from your router. If you do go with wireless, pretty much any router you get will have several ports for wired connections and the ability to do wireless, but any computers wanting to use wireless would need a wireless adapter installed.

wireless-router-network.jpg

This picture diagrams it pretty well. Your service provider gives you a modem that hooks up to the internet coming into your house. This is what you already have, but then are plugging directly into the modem, or using a wired router or hub to hookup multiple computers.

In the case of a wireless setup like the one pictured above, the modem hooks up to a wireless router (the provider might even supply one of those, or you can purchase your own) which has both wired and wireless capability. There would be several wired connections on the back of the router and the wireless can allow a bunch of computers to hook up to the router that way, assuming they have a wireless adapter.

you need to get a wireless modem, connect it to your old one. i did this for my cousins once.

and remmember to restart BOTH your modems after you connect the wires. otherwise it may not work.

basically for shaw, theres a cable from the wall connected to you old modem, it should look something like this. http://www.networkgu...cable-modem.jpg

the wire thats going into you computer right now, take it out and put in on your new wireless router.

if you gonna connect your pc wirelessly, make sure it has a network adapter.

and as far as i know, no software is required.

connect it like this: (and ignore the vonage thing) http://www.wirelessforums.org/attachments/network-troubleshooting/620d1301884056-modem-wired-router-wireless-router-one-network-configuration-questions-network-wiring2.jpg

620d1301884056-modem-wired-router-wireless-router-one-network-configuration-questions-network-wiring2.jpg

When I bought the new Shaw modem, I had to get them to help me set up the wireless feature .. it was simple with a bit of direction .. I have the "newest and fastest" Shaw I can get, and using hard-wired is faster for what I use it for, mind you my laptop is not near as "fast" as my towers ..

man i just lost like a huge response regarding this.. like 1000+ words..., by pressing the back button by mistake.... ARGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Yes get the wireless!!!!

if you are having issues CALL or contact shaw!!!!

tell them...

eventually you'll get a good rep... people from the nanaimo call center are awesome!!!!

if they book you a service call right away... thats BAD!!!!

This can be fixed and proven out if theres a fault with shaws internet over the phone!!!!

you can probabaly get shaws wireless modem combo for free to try it out!

Learn the difference between an internet modem(motorola) and a router(dlink,linksys)

(common brands)

basically if your modem online light - 4th one down - is solid green then its not shaw that the issue.

95% of the time...

just give them a call and let them check out some stuff and then walk you through he steps of a direct conneciton (modem to PC)if need be.

I think its your router.... 99% of the calls that i took regarding connectiivity issues was either the router needing to be reset... or .... bad ethernet cables...

I'm not talking about slow connectivity.... im talking about dropped connections.

Just call them... heck at least they are based in canada...

or you could try calling telus in India or Malasia...

where you are is important due to bandwidth implications...

IE more people borwsing online in 1 area can affect network performance...

like a highway... rush hour traffic... with shaw/telus in certain areas roads are slower... dependedant on how well they have set up there infrasturcture in the area.

generally though i think shaw has better internet service.

Archived