The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lockout: We should keep both goalie

canucks_qc

We talk about 4 or 5 games per team that have been "cancelled" you can easilly add those game somewheres in the schedule. Without a lockout the players was playing 82 games in 185 days, so by now they would have to play 82 games in 168 days it wouldn't be that hard. The NHLPA said even if the season was only starting in mid-november they could play 82 games

Nothing has changed. You take the guy with youth on his side. You take the guy with the lower cap hit. You take the guy who is playing better throughout the 82 game grind. You take the guy who steps it up in the playoffs instead of collapsing in on himself. You take the guy who doesn't have a habit of putting his foot in his mouth in front of the cameras and the opposition. You take the guy with the better sv%, the better GAA, the higher percentage of wins per game played. You take the guy who the team will play for.

Fortunately for us, it all points to the same guy. Keeping both only makes sense if you plug your ears and hum loudly any time the salary cap is mentioned.

You're right, Schneider have better number, he's an high skills goalie, BUT will he be able to compete at the same level if he's playing +60 games per season excluding playoffs? I hope he will, I want the best for our team, but nobody can really say he will do it. In the worst case it can't do it, does that mean Lack would have 30 starts during the next season, I'm not sure he's ready for that. Too many teams made mistake when it come to goalie, Chicago with Huet, St Louis with Halak, San Jose with Niemi... I don't want our team made a big mistake like that. When it come to a foward it's really easy to deal with, if he's playing 20 mins and can't compete at his best well, just make him play 18mins per game at where he was competing at his highest level, but when it come to goaltender you can't simply say well we will start him less games and the 11 other guys(foward) will split those 2 minutes, it's only one guy who will play those 60 minutes, so you have to be sure to have a great tandem. So until we are 110% sure Schneider will do the job of a real number 1, we should be safe and keep both of them.

About the salary cap, we don't have any problem for the actual season, Kesler isn't coming back before January, he have a cap hit of 5m$, January is about the mid season, so when he will come back he will only count for 2,5m$ against our salary cap. The trade deadline is arount the quarter of a season, so let's say we haven't use the money we had because of Kesler's injury, that mean at the trade deadline we could get a player with a cap hit of 10m$, highest cap hit for the next season 9,538m$ and it's Alexander Ovechkin. Do we really have a cap hit problem?

I fail to see how St. Louis messed up with their goaltending situation in regards to Halak specifically. Before acquiring him, they had Chris Mason and Ty Conklin as their 1 and 2. Not exactly the most sound tandem. They didn't give up a ton, and even with the surprising play of Elliott this past season I think they've managed their minutes and salary wonderfully.

The only reason Luongo is still a Canuck is very likely because of Gillis' ineptitude to swing a deal (imo)

It would be absurd to have this guy playing second fiddle.

Your now ex-franchise goalie with his massive contract is now on display at the bench?

Lets not humiliate the guy and squander cap room like that if you please.

The only reason Luongo is still a Canuck is very likely because of Gillis' ineptitude to swing a deal (imo)

It would be absurd to have this guy playing second fiddle.

Your now ex-franchise goalie with his massive contract is now on display at the bench?

Lets not humiliate the guy and squander cap room like that if you please.

Archived