The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vancouver and Edmonton (Proposal)

Tanev is better than both.

Tanev hasn't just blended in like the other's he has stood out with his play, he capable of making the perfect pass and making the right play when there is alot of pressure on him. He has that smooth style and is very reliable.

The thing that makes Hamhuis so valuable is the exact same thing that makes Tanev so good, being smooth and reliable all the time no matter what the circumstances.

So it's that versus a guy who can't crack the top 9 on the worst team in the NHL, I like Paajarvi but you are overrating him and underrating Tanev.

The real stat that proves what I'm saying about Tanev is Plus/Minus

Tanev: hasn't even played a full season in the NHL yet and he is a career +10, and he has already shown he can slot into the top 4 when needed and play well.

Pajaarvi: In 121 NHL games is a career -20, he has struggled to make the worst team in the NHL, and has been very inconsistent, which is the reason he has spent alot of that time in the AHL.

This just shows that while Tanev isn't a PP specalist by any means, everytime he plays for the Canucks he has been solid and reliable and has never beena weakness, he has always been able to preform at a high level in whatever situation he has put in.

Whereas Pajaarvi has been very inconsistent and hasn't done all that much of anything impressive with the big club, everythough he has had much much more opportunity.

While I agree with some of what you say +/- is a very dubious stat IMO as it doesn't take into account things like Vancouver being a very good team and Edmonton being very bad or who you play with or what lines you play against on a regular basis. Paajarvi also had better TOI and PP time in his first season where he was succesfull than his second season when other guys got more opportunities.

Archived