The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lunch Lady Fired for Giving Free Lunch to Low-Income Student

dudeone

Sure the mother should have registered as low income parent but there are a lot of programs available at school parents aren't aware about.

I bet there are programs available in Canada you are not aware of. only reason I came to know of this program was because one of our employee's children went to school with me and she made us aware. Otherwise I wouldn't have known. I'm sure there were students at my school who were born and bred in the US who did not know of this program or other similar programs.

Isn't it the school's irresponsibility to tell the student about available program instead of sneaking him/her meals? If the lunch lady helped guide the student to a counselor to do the necessary paperwork instead this could have been solved in a day.

Of course children that are well fed perform better.

And of course you have to have some sort of social safety net. I was simply pointing out that no amount of bureaucracy would stop food stamp fraud. Heck, don't even bother with that just give them cash.

I am simply saying that having a huge government run food industry is a waste of money since it subsidizes every students meal AND takes up space in the school that could be dedicated to other uses.

If there was no school lunches I would be the first to donate to a charity that provided them to the poor. I know first hand what it's like to not have enough to eat when growing up and have already had a lifetime supply of mustard sandwhiches to prove it.

No doubt, because I'm not low income and would prefer saving it for those who need it.

About the second bold.. I don't think we know enough about the situation, but the lunch lady said she had tried to get in touch with the mother but she doesn't speak English.

I don't think the lunch lady could have done any more, in fact, she did so much she got herself in trouble.. I don't see how one could pin something on her to do more.

Archived