The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Noise level at Rogers Arena

Steve Carell

ok, so the Canucks are in a sense the victims of their own success. there's a lot of people who really care who just can't afford the tix. honestly, i'm not fretting about it. in american football, having a loud crowd on defense is very important (e.g., Seahawks causing the most false start penalties of any team).

i'm not sure the correlation is that strong in hockey. (anaheim, carolina, tampa, nj, dallas....)

i suppose it's a bit embarrassing, but hey it's still one of the best arenas in the league

It will be the Stanley Cup Final.

10,000+ people will miss the winning goal because they are either checking their stock options, talking to their lawyer (or they ARE the lawyer being spoken to), dumb chicks tweeting useless sh!t, metrosexual boys exchanging fashion tips, GF's BF's texting madly about anything and everything that has nothing to do with hockey...

The other 5,000 or less will be cheering and totally into the game.. until an "usher" threatens them with removal because they refuse to adhere to the rules of Rogers Place which include: not paying attention to the hockey game whatsoever. Do not cheer too loudly, if you do, do so quietly as to not offend or annoy those around you. Drink. By all means, spend $100 on 5 beers for you and your girlfriend.. but don't enjoy it, you'll be excommunicated.

Also, don't ever. EVER get up out of your seat. You may obscure the view of many people sitting around you who have chosen to OBEY OBEY OBEY and remain in their seats timidly, sipping over priced beer they cannot enjoy.

Welcome to Vancouver.

10,000+ people will miss the winning goal because they are either checking their stock options, talking to their lawyer (or they ARE the lawyer being spoken to), dumb chicks tweeting useless sh!t, metrosexual boys exchanging fashion tips, GF's BF's texting madly about anything and everything that has nothing to do with hockey...

The other 5,000 or less will be cheering and totally into the game.. until an "usher" threatens them with removal because they refuse to adhere to the rules of Rogers Place which include: not paying attention to the hockey game whatsoever. Do not cheer too loudly, if you do, do so quietly as to not offend or annoy those around you. Drink. By all means, spend $100 on 5 beers for you and your girlfriend.. but don't enjoy it, you'll be excommunicated.

Also, don't ever. EVER get up out of your seat. You may obscure the view of many people sitting around you who have chosen to OBEY OBEY OBEY and remain in their seats timidly, sipping over priced beer they cannot enjoy.

Welcome to Vancouver.

Ive been going to games since the late 80's and it has never been this bad with regard to fan noise. The Colleseum seemed to have a more colorfull crowd with people yelling from all areas of the building. They were way more engaged and nasty, especially with the refs.

Now we've had a bunch of success, there's a lot of new and casual fans at the game and they don't realize that hockey games are suppose to be the same experience as watching a movie.

Also management seems to foster a more family, corportate environment. Ushers get involved as soon as there's a sniff of any rowdyness.

Maybe this is how Gillis and Aquillini want it?

Yup it's terrible. Too many factors stated above contribute to it.

Doesn't help that ticket prices are insane and the "real" fans can't really afford to go all the time.

I can't remember if it was this offseason or not, but Bieksa commented on it, pretty much saying it's hard to play in Roger Arena sometimes due to the lack of adrenaline etc etc they get off the crowd.

I don't think people understand how much the crowd commits to a game. You give the home team adrenaline, energy, and most of all a reason to play.

It's so infuriating to watch Canuck games after watching home teams play in San Jose, Winnipeg, Nashville for example. All those arenas are rocking and makes it so much harder for the opposition to come in and play without getting intimidated.

Any of you that regularily visit Canuck games at home. PLEASE, I beg of you. Be noisy! Chant, yell, sing. I don't care. Anything is better than sitting there being quiet and sucking the life out of the building.

I often try and make the effort of going to Canucks games at least twice a year. Every time, it's very hard to start a chant. I would hear surrounding fans around me, especially in the upper bowl, and I would join in. Cheer as loud as I can, try and get everyone else to. But nobody joins in. So we just shut up. That's the whole story. Sad to say.... Because normally, there will always be only one Go Canucks Go chant throughout the entire game that ends up being very loud and that's it.

I can't start chants because I'm not the type of person who can start things like that, but if someone is trying to, then yes, I will join in and contribute as loud as I can.

I think the only successful crowd involvement that occurs at Rogers Arena is the wave. And even then, that's almost a rarity on a game to game basis.

Rogers Arena sucks. When you can actually hear the traffic outside while the game is on something is wrong. People seem weirded out by each other there. It's like everyone wants to be there, just nobody wants to stand up and cheer because they have this fear that people are gonna look down at them for being normal and not a vegetable.

This is why the only 2 fans that have anything to add to the night wear costumes so nobody knows who they are for real.

This is why I stopped going to games.

Welcome to Vancouver.

Archived