The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Vancouver & Edmonton

To Edmonton: Yann Sauve + Future considerations

To Vancouver: Alex Plante

The facts:

- Plante & Sauve are both upcoming RFAs

- Sauve has a pro career high of 14 points in 39 AHL games with the Manitoba Moose

- Alex Plante has a pro career high of 17 points in 73 AHL games with the OKC Barons (But had 14 points in 41 AHL games last year)

- Plante has 10 NHL games experienced: 0 goals, 2 assists & -2

- Sauve has 5 NHL games experienced: 0 points & -2

- Sauve was drafted 41st overall in 2008 draft

- Plante was drafted 15th overall in the 2007 draft

- Plante is 6'3, 225 pounds and shoots right

- Yann Sauve is 6'3, 220 pounds and shoots left

Beyond the facts:

Plante was a higher rated player, but Sauve was drafted a year later and is a year younger. Both of their contracts are up this year. I think this makes their value similar.

Connauton, Joslin, Hunt, Sauve, Barker and Matheson all shoot left. So, Plante would bring a right-handed defenseman into the mix.

Sauve and Plante are both big defense first defenseman who are struggling with their current teams and might just need a change of scenery.

I'm a huge Gillis fan, and at the time I loved the pick of Yann Sauve, but I know Gillis is good at recognizing his mistakes and dealing with them.

This is basically a depth exchange for two players who might do better in new systems.

To Edmonton: Yann Sauve + Future considerations

To Vancouver: Alex Plante

The facts:

- Plante & Sauve are both upcoming RFAs

- Sauve has a pro career high of 14 points in 39 AHL games with the Manitoba Moose

- Alex Plante has a pro career high of 17 points in 73 AHL games with the OKC Barons (But had 14 points in 41 AHL games last year)

- Plante has 10 NHL games experienced: 0 goals, 2 assists & -2

- Sauve has 5 NHL games experienced: 0 points & -2

- Sauve was drafted 41st overall in 2008 draft

- Plante was drafted 15th overall in the 2007 draft

- Plante is 6'3, 225 pounds and shoots right

- Yann Sauve is 6'3, 220 pounds and shoots left

Beyond the facts:

Plante was a higher rated player, but Sauve was drafted a year later and is a year younger. Both of their contracts are up this year. I think this makes their value similar.

Connauton, Joslin, Hunt, Sauve, Barker and Matheson all shoot left. So, Plante would bring a right-handed defenseman into the mix.

Sauve and Plante are both big defense first defenseman who are struggling with their current teams and might just need a change of scenery.

I'm a huge Gillis fan, and at the time I loved the pick of Yann Sauve, but I know Gillis is good at recognizing his mistakes and dealing with them.

This is basically a depth exchange for two players who might do better in new systems.

Well I don't disagree that a change of scenery might do both players some good. However, I'm still not sold on this.

Sauve has not been able to crack a D line-up that has been reputed to be amongst the strongest in the league whereas Plante hasn't cracked the pack of nobodies the Oilers have trotted out on defense the last few years.

Just my opinion but I also haven't watched Plante enough since junior to form an educated opinion.

Archived