The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo and the last stand

37yrsncounting

Yup buddy of mine and I always joke about 3 stanley cup runs in 37 years of being a fan, that leave us with 3 and at best 4 runs left, hopefully we find a way to live long enough to see the day Canucks actually win one.

Sure but check out the teams and players Roy played behind then realize luongo has only played in vancouver and Florida. Check out career save percentages and you see luongo is ahead of Roy in reg season play and .002 behind in playoffs. Roy is great, yes but so were the teams he played for. Much easier to win trophies that way. Have you seen our team defense lately? Btw, does Roy have an Olympic gold medal around his neck? Hmm.

Sure but check out the teams and players Roy played behind then realize luongo has only played in vancouver and Florida. Check out career save percentages and you see luongo is ahead of Roy in reg season play and .002 behind in playoffs. Roy is great, yes but so were the teams he played for. Much easier to win trophies that way. Have you seen our team defense lately? Btw, does Roy have an Olympic gold medal around his neck? Hmm.

Wait, are we comparing Lu to Roy????

Sorry, but just no. The microscoping logic you used there could make virtually any goalie in Roy's league. "Cloutier had three straight 30 win seasons= HHOF material!!!" Reality is that Roy was rare like a Gretzky and LU is like a much larger sample of players we have seen come and go over the years. A bit better then most but not going to be in the Hall of fame or anything.

And I am sure Lu would pawn off that gold medal in a second for all of Roy's hardware.

When Roy played in Montreal it was a much higher scoring era, it was not unusual for teams to score 300 or more goals per season. Those Montreal teams in '86 and '93 that Roy won cups with were not expected to do anything in the playoffs. Roy put those teams on his back and carried them to those 2 cups, which is why he won the Conn Smythe both times.

As for comparing Roy and Luongo's stats, it's not a fair comparison because of the different eras. What is somewhat surprising is that despite the more offensive era that Roy played half of his career during, his playoff save% is higher than Luongo's.

Finally no, Roy doesn't have a gold medal. He merely has almost everything else.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to compare the two. Roy is in a class all by himself. What I've been trying to point out with comparisons is that even great goalies like roy melt down every so often. Which seems to be the main complaint about luongo's play.

You agree that Lou is a bit better than most so why don't we give him one more run this year. You really think Schneider with one year of experience in the NHL could push this team over the hump?

A part of me has always hoped for Lui to downright win his starting position back for the play-offs. If he goes on a tier of any sort, then maybe he'll stay with the organization. But with all the rumours and media attention that's surrounding him, it kind of seems like the trade is inevitable at this point, as unfortunate as it is.

I hope there's a way somehow we can keep him for longer. I've always thought Schneids would be much more valuable to trade, as he could fetch way more than Lui can and he doesn't have a brutal contract holding him back.

With the way the season has gone so far, I'm so relieved we still have Lui on our team. Many of those who thought transitioning into a starter role would be readily done by Schneids have been wrong, as he hasn't risen to our expectations just yet. Lui has shown how it's done for the most part of the season (Eeeks, Detroit game aside).

There would be nothing better than seeing Lui redeem himself in the play-offs after all these years than win a Cup in Vancouver. You couldn't paint a better picture than that.

Archived