The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Gillis gonna assign injured players to LTIR soon?

Belsy91

We currently have just under $2 million in cap space, David Booth is out atleast 2 months and Manny Malhotra has been shut down for the year. Both of these injuries are for extended periods of time...the trade deadline is just over a week away and Gillis has not put them on the long term injured reserve list. Puttin players on this free's up cap space and in our case would free up upwards of $5 million. Anyone have an idea as to why he is not!?

Actually putting players on LTIR doesn't "free up" cap space. The injured players cap hit still counts towards the cap, however a team is able to exceed the cap up to the injured players cap number. However this only applies if a team is against the cap already.

In other words, optimally we would be right up against the cap before these players are placed on the LTIR otherwise the Canucks technically lose that 2million in cap space we have now.

Actually putting players on LTIR doesn't "free up" cap space. The injured players cap hit still counts towards the cap, however a team is able to exceed the cap up to the injured players cap number. However this only applies if a team is against the cap already.

In other words, optimally we would be right up against the cap before these players are placed on the LTIR otherwise the Canucks technically lose that 2million in cap space we have now.

Maybe you can clarify something for me. I liked your post but I just want to make sure I totally understand how it works.

Let's say the Cap is 50 million, and the Canucks are at 48 million of salary. Then a 4 million player goes on LTIR. Does that mean that the Canucks can then spend up to 52 million (i.e., 48 million + 4 = 52 million)? So, if the team had been at, say 40 million before the injury, they would get no cap relief, and if they were at exactly 50 million, they could spend up to 54?

So in real life, the Canucks are at 69.7 million, giving them 500k in cap space. We have Booth and Malhotra that we can put on LTIR, and their salaries total 6.75. Does that mean we can (theoretically) spend up to 76.45 (69.7 + 6.75)? If so, that really gives us options at the deadline.

You have it correct... Cap relief only happens when you start to exceed the cap... So as long as team is not worried about actual salary spent (*cough Canucks cough) then ideally you want to be as close to the Salary cap as possible before placing players on LTIR to maximize the Cap relief dollars... in real life it could be as high as 6.75 or higher... not sure if Kesler is on LTIR atm can't find anywhere to confirm that he is. If that is the case and the Canucks can add 500kish salary before placing these three on LTIR that will make available 11.75 million in which the Canucks are able to exceed the cap through replacement players.

No one is on LTI at the moment since we aren't over the cap. We can assign any of the three onto LTI retroactively though (since they need to stay on LTI for something like 10 games or 25 days) if it comes up that we need the extra cap space, and it might be that we need just a few extra dollars from Kesler's LTI before he returns above what Booth and Manny would allow.

I doubt we use all of or even most of the LTI we could do though, since bringing in more cap hit would mean we're in more trouble for next year (unless it's a rental).

You're right most likely the Canucks don't use all of their potential Cap relief... not sure how close Kesler is to returning but... rentals + trades + buyouts + waiving players will make it easy for the Canucks to be cap compliant next year... I wouldn't worry about Cap issues at all for next season. Gillis and Gilman's track record of cap management is nothing short of remarkable

Archived