The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Camera lost on Hawaii vacation washes up in Taiwan 6 yrs later

Jaimito

Very 21st century. They found the owner via facebook in just 36 hrs.

https://www.facebook...594974093863767

Sure the airline stuff is for publicity, since they can just mail the camera back to her. Or maybe the guy really wants to meet her, who knows. Awesome story anyway.

http://www.usatoday.com/media/cinematic/video/2027513/vacation-camera-found-returned-to-owner-5-years-later/

http://www.hawaiinew...-of-lost-camera

HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) -

A picture perfect ending to a story of a lost camera and memories from Maui.

In just 36 hours, Hawaii News Now found the owner of an underwater camera that slipped off during a night dive at Black Rock in 2007 and drifted more than 5 years, and 6-thousand miles to Taiwan.

The mystery unraveled after Hawaii News Now aired a report on Friday that went viral. Facebook fans shared, and shared-- thousands of times. A high school friend of Lindsay Scallan's saw our story, and pointed us to her facebook page Sunday morning. She calls it unbelievable. "Now all my friends are excited" explains Lindsay. "Everyone's talking about it. It's pretty neat."

Lindsay loves Hawaii, and adventurous travel. Her facebook page has a whole album of a diving trip to Kauai two years after she lost her camera on Maui. She's shocked by the blast from her past, and all the sudden media interest.

"You're like a worldwide celebrity now" suggests an Atlanta TV news reporter. "Yeah. I went from just regular boring to you're in my living room" laughs Lindsay.

It's true. Camera crews are clamoring for a piece of the lost camera owner, to learn more about Lindsay's wild twist of fate.

A China Airlines employee found Lindsay's camera on the beach in Taiwan last month. The airline is offering her an all expenses paid vacation to pick it up in person.

It's another surprise for the Georgia woman who never thought she'd see her camera again. "I thought maybe get the pictures email to me, shipped back" says Lindsay. "Then when I hear they want to fly me out there, I was blown away."

Lindsay just started a new job one week ago, but can take unpaid time off to take up China Airlines' offer. If she does, she can get her camera back and enjoy world class diving in Taiwan.

Here's another twist. Hawaii News Now was invited to Taiwan too if we could track down the owner. Mahalo for sharing our story. We wouldn't have found her without you!

We have a slideshow of the pictures that led to Lindsay-- at HawaiiNewsNow.com.

Related Links:

Owner of lost camera "blown away" by free trip offer from China Airlines

Owner of camera lost on Maui found after six years

Help us find owner of camera lost on Maui in 2007 that drifted to Taiwan

Copyright 2013 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.

http://www.cbsatlant...-lost-in-hawaii

NEWNAN, GA (CBS ATLANTA) -

Lindsay Scallan lives what many would consider a normal life, but not now.

"I went from normal and boring to a news crew sitting in my living room," said Scallan.

Scallan is famous because of a Canon camera she lost in 2007 while scuba diving in Hawaii.

"I took a lot of pictures, did a lot of snorkeling, a lot of scuba diving and a night dive. A night dive is when I lost my camera," Scallan said.

Scallan said she was hurt.

"It was towards the end of the trip and my pictures were on there and it was my first experience there, so I was pretty upset about it. But what are you going to do?" Scallan asked.

She chalked it up to life and went on with hers. Scallan said she forgot about the camera until 24 hours ago.

"I get this random message on Facebook from a guy I went to high school with, saying his wife found an article and he thought it was about me and my camera," said Scallan.

It turns out, the camera washed ashore in of all places, Taiwan.

"An employee of China Airlines found my camera, found the pictures still on the memory card and got in touch with Hawaiian officials to see if they could help find who the owner was, the mystery blond woman as they called it," said Scallan.

A Hawaiian television station put its story online, which is how Scallan's former classmate found out about it.

"It was social media at its best," said Scallan.

But the story doesn't stop there.

"China Airlines has offered to pay for me to go out there and my room, board and my food and everything. An all expenses paid trip to come out there and get my camera back and meet the guy that found it. It's been a wild ride," Scallan said.

Copyright 2013 WGCL-TV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

http://www.huffingto..._n_2956222.html

A missing camera has made its way back to its owner six years after it was lost during a diving trip in Hawaii.

Lindsay Scallan of Newnan, Georgia, was scuba diving one night during a vacation in Maui in 2007 when she lost her camera, Hawaii News Now reports. Years later, it drifted all the way to Taiwan with its photos still intact.

"The seas were really rough. There was a lot of sand stirred up. It was hard to see," Scallan told the news station. The morning after the dive, she returned to the beach but couldn't find the camera, which had been in a waterproof case.

Last month, a China Airlines employee spotted the Canon PowerShot along a beach on Taiwan's east coast. According to Sky News, Douglas Chen opened the camera, which was encrusted with barnacles, to find a memory card containing visible photosof Scallan's Hawaii visit.

Chen had the airline contact its Honolulu staff, who launched a search with help from the media. A former classmate of Scallan's was alerted to a news story and reached out to her.

"I get this random message on Facebook from a guy I went to high school with, saying his wife found an article and he thought it was about me and my camera," Scallan told CBS Atlanta.

Scallan added that she had come to terms with the loss and never expected this outcome. Now, China Airlines has offered Scallan an trip to Taiwan -- all expenses paid -- to collect the camera.

"Ms. Scallan is welcome to visit Taiwan so that she can take home the invaluable memories of her trip to Hawaii," airline official Lee Wen-yi told Sky News.

htcamera1.jpg

facebook-4_3_r536_c534.jpg?1b79b3da202957124496e3768cfb7b67cdb10c81

• 3 weeks later...

Archived