The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Examining Luongo contract extension (2009)

Socrates

Vansicle's opinion looked pretty well articulated to me. And it's his opinion, no matter whether you like it or not. He even invited respectful dialogue (i.e. "Respectfully"). You calling him an idiot forces me to agree with your first point, but for the wrong reasons.

As for Luongo's "single-handed effort to take us to Game 7", you might just be right again. But again for the wrong reasons. Technically, forcing a Game 7 can only occur in Game 6 - so you're right, it was 3-0 Bruins before the end of the first half of the first period with Luongo in goal. No doubt Luongo played great in games 1,2 and 5, but he was arguably just as big of a factor in the Bruins clawing their way back in the series. If AV had the guts to start Schneids as soon as Game 4 and as late as Game 6, maybe we would have had a better chance of hoisting the cup and after less than 7 games.

Yeah, kind of. It would've been easier to handle knowing for a fact that this team simply wasn't good enough, rather than go all the way down to the wire and know it was over and the dream was dead halfway through game 7.

Personally, I wouldn't have lost all faith in Luongo if we were losing playoff games by a couple goals like you described above.

Not entirely sure what your'e trying to say but here's my retort anyway.

If we lost the SCF in 4 games or any series for that matter, if Luongo held us in the games and gave the team a good chance EVERY time or at least almost every time, I would not complain much about him, if at all.

If the Canucks lose games by scores of 1-0, 2-1, 3-2, or whatever, any score that's reasonably close, then the blame can be laid almost entirely on the team's lack of scoring ability.

Not entirely sure what your'e trying to say but here's my retort anyway.

If we lost the SCF in 4 games or any series for that matter, if Luongo held us in the games and gave the team a good chance EVERY time or at least almost every time, I would not complain much about him, if at all.

If the Canucks lose games by scores of 1-0, 2-1, 3-2, or whatever, any score that's reasonably close, then the blame can be laid almost entirely on the team's lack of scoring ability.

and here is the major difference between you and me. You don't seem to understand the whole concept of a hockey game.

no goalie in the history of hockey can have a good game every or "almost" every time. This is the natural of the game. This is the team's job to win the game when things doesn't go well to the goalie.

Tim Thomas, the goalie who shut out Vancouver, allowed 21 goals in 7 games against tempa bay. The difference is that Boston show up in the series when the goalie can't stop the goals.

Is luongo to blame with the lost in the SCF? yes, but he's the LAST person to blame.

how do you call yourself a hockey fan when you can't even understand the most basic concept of hockey? goalies will let it bad goals and they can't keep the score close every night.

wait.. judging from your comment about you would rather see the team lose in 4 rounds instead of 7 in the SCF, i don't even know if i can count you as a fan

A goaltender CAN keep the score close almost every game in the playoffs, lots of goalies have done it, especially ones that are considered elite and world-class and whatever.

The Tim Thomas argument is pretty weak. Yes, he did give up a lot of goals against Tampa, but did the Bruins ever fall behind by numerous goals in any of the games? No they didn't. Luongo's inconsistencies have put the Canucks behind the eight-ball in 4 series, 3 that we lost and 1 that had no business going as far as it did.

Anyone who thinks that was a bad contract is out to lunch.

If he was signed to fewer years, his cap hit would be at least 1M higher. That extra mil is huge when making a push for the cup. Didn't Torres and Lappy have 1M cap hits in 2011?

What MG should have done is stick to his decisions. He committed to Lu, so he should have traded Cory in 2011 at TD to maximize our chances.

Instead this mess we have now is a result of a GM giving up on his plans.

Archived