The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ebbett in the Play-offs is a scary thought...

Bananas

Complaining about Ebbett is overdone.

The guy has been a good role player in the absence of a lot of regulars off the roster.

He's been used primarily in defensive zone start situations (getting only 37.4% offensive zone starts).

As a depth forward, playing with other depth forwards in that context, his 6 points in 25 games is really not bad, and being a mere -1 is actually somewhat impressive. His corsi is in the same range as players like Weise and Lapierre.

For all the useless qualities the OP lists, somehow Ebbett is managing to pretty much hold his own. He's actually a fairly intelligent, responsible depth option for AV. I don't like seeing him used as a center - he's not strong enough in the faceoff circle - and he doesn't generate and drive possession - but as a second center on the fourth line (and a backup left handed draw for Lapierre), he's nowhere near as terrible as is being suggested here - he works hard and he does not hurt the team. In fact he's played 25 games in which the Canucks have pretty much gained as many positive results as could be hoped for considering all the absences from the lineup this season.

I think this is a case of protesting too much.

Cut the guy a break.

Half you morons decide on your flavours of the month/season then spend most of your time, ignoring the game while scrutinising the players you dislike for faults.

I'm no huge fan of Ebbett but he gives 100% when he's on the ice and that is all that matters.

As for the ass clown who calls Raymond bad, he has 6 more points than Higgins and 3 less than Hansen while playing most of his games recently with Ebbett and Kassian. I suggest even Hank would struggle with these two in attack. As for back checking Hank would be lost whereas Raymond's speed allows him to spend half his time covering for Ebbett and Kassian's poor defence.

Cut the guy a break.

Half you morons decide on your flavours of the month/season then spend most of your time, ignoring the game while scrutinising the players you dislike for faults.

I'm no huge fan of Ebbett but he gives 100% when he's on the ice and that is all that matters.

As for the ass clown who calls Raymond bad, he has 6 more points than Higgins and 3 less than Hansen while playing most of his games recently with Ebbett and Kassian. I suggest even Hank would struggle with these two in attack. As for back checking Hank would be lost whereas Raymond's speed allows him to spend half his time covering for Ebbett and Kassian's poor defence.

I think Ebbett plays a solid defensive game but the offensive zone is another story. I know he is trying to play it safe to stay on the team but every time he has the puck in the offensive zone, he just keeps it along the boards or he passes it to open space so there is no chance for the other team to go the other way on a rush but this also kills any offensive pressure we build up.

It's like he is so scared to make a mistake that he will only make the safe choice. The game against St. Louis on a three on two rush, he decides to dump it behind their net and chase instead of making something happen on an odd man rush. That to me is playing way too safe.

Cut the guy a break.

Actually you should thank Burke and Nonis for this as any draft picks MG would have had wouldn't make that much of an impact right now. Burke and Nonis each gave away way more draft picks than MG.

Ebbett is a minor leaguer pure and simple. Thanks to MG having traded away boatloads of traft picks this is the result we're left with.

Archived