The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Problem with AV and the power play

ButterBean

Beyond AV's questionable lineups there's been something that has been frustrating me for awhile.

Why hasn't Garrison been put on the first PP unit yet? If he has, it's been for a very limited time. Trying to get 2 balanced units? Why? He clearly has the best slap shot on the team. It's almost like we have Shea Weber on our team and he isn't seeing 1st unit time. Someone said that his shot isn't accurate, well yeah it can be sometimes but that's only because he doesn't have the time/room to unload his shot 5 on 5, but on the PP he will have much more room and better setups.

Our PP has the potential to be the best in the NHL with Garrison there. We need to switch things up and replace Burrows with Kassian and Edler with Garrison. I barely understand Burrow's effectiveness on the power play, Kassian provides us with a bigger body in front and he doesn't get pushed around, especially since San Jose has some smaller defensemen and Burrows won't draw any penalties. Now with 2 legitimate shooters form the point/high slot with Kesler and Garrison, the Sedins and Kassian can also start working their magic down low and force teams to pick their poison. There's no reason that this combo can't be effective.

And we'll still have a pretty solid 2nd unit. Something like Burrows/Roy/Higgins up front and Edler/Hamhuis and Bieksa on the backend.

It frustrates me to no end.

We had ALL regular season to experiment...

I'm not saying this would work but how about something like

Sedin Kassian Sedin

Edler Garrison

Have Kassian park his butt in front of the goalie ala Dustin Byfuglien styles and have Edler and Garrison tee off from the point.

2nd Unit

Higgins Roy Kesler

Hamhuis Bieksa

Have Roy on the half wall making plays like Kesler.

I dunno if these would work but all I am saying is how about TRY all these things during the regular season instead of experimenting now?

AV is so focused on winning the immediate game that he doesn't see the overall picture and importance of finding the perfect fit and strategy for this team.

it's like he just keeps patching things up to get those all important regular season wins and then finds out when he gets to the playoffs its a whole different ball game and gets caught with his pants down.

Garrison is not the type of d-man that can quarterback the power-play like Subban or Karlson. He doesn't have the skating ability to move laterally across the blue line and control the puck at the same time. He is more or less stationary at one spot on the PP waiting for a pass to get off his one-timer. He's not a great distributor of the puck on the PP either. His success in Florida was predicated on Brian Campbell quarterbacking the PP and where he was the finisher.

I think Garrison is vulnerable defending the 1-on-1 situation because of his skating ability. I can imagine what would happen if we turned over the puck on the PP and with Garrison defending on the 1-on-1.

The coaches may have tested his ability on 1-on-1 situations in practice and discovered he lacks the skating ability to defend against it. This is my speculation why AV doesn't put him on the 1st unit PP.

Garrison is not the type of d-man that can quarterback the power-play like Subban or Karlson. He doesn't have the skating ability to move laterally across the blue line and control the puck at the same time. He is more or less stationary at one spot on the PP waiting for a pass to get off his one-timer. He's not a great distributor of the puck on the PP either. His success in Florida was predicated on Brian Campbell quarterbacking the PP and where he was the finisher.

I think Garrison is vulnerable defending the 1-on-1 situation because of his skating ability. I can imagine what would happen if we turned over the puck on the PP and with Garrison defending on the 1-on-1.

The coaches may have tested his ability on 1-on-1 situations in practice and discovered he lacks the skating ability to defend against it. This is my speculation why AV doesn't put him on the 1st unit PP.

Archived