The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Out of the box Idea, To make a team filled with CDC dreams

This Proposal relies on the ability to sign Mike Smith.

Not likely I know but it is possible, then we could remove a top goalie from the market and have two trading chips, in Schneider and Lui.

I like Mike Smith, he can handle the puck, he is Canadian, he is big and he elevates his play in the playoffs when it matters most, as he has carried Pheonix on his back.

I also think, Gillis is holding out on hiring a coach yet because he wants Tippet, perhaps getting Tippet will also help with signing Mike Smith and Boyd Gordon.

Trades:

1- Luongo

To Van: Kulikov and Upshall

To Florida: Luongo

Florida makes this trade because it helps them fill an organizational need, and it also lowers their cap.

It really is Luongo for Kulikov, and Upshall is just for the contract to even the trade. Everyone is happy.

2- Schneider

To Van- Sean Couturier

To Philly- Schneider

Big payment from our side, but both fill team needs, Sean has stud potential as well.

This trade only happens if the LA bernier and Philly Read rumour doesn't happen before.

3- Edler

To Van- Bobby Ryan and a 4th round pick

To Ana- Edler and the rights to Roy

Ryan has been on the block for quite awhile now, Edler would fit in great in anaheim, on their PP and on their top pairing. They have interest in Roy as well, and Ryan would be the Elite PF our top six has needed for years.

4- Booth and Ballard

Trade both for the best draft selection possible this year or next

possible teams:

NYI, DET, NASH etc.

Signings:

1- Dave Tippet

I believe he will become available as the future of PHX is up in the air, plus if you were Tippet where would you rather coach?

2 - Mike Smith

This is the rock of my proposal, signing Smith would allow us to improve our team and depth by trading both Lui and Schneider, to be honest it would also remove a lot of doubt our players could have in our goalies and any mental damage our management and coaching staff had done to our goalies and their confidence levels, fresh starts for both goalies could be great for them.

Hopefully the signing of Tippet and having him come to the signing talks would help convince him to ignore the mammoth offers he could receive in free agency.

Sign him for:

3-5 years at 6.1 million/season a 30.5 million dollar contract MAXIMUM, nothing higher or longer, if he could sign for less perfect.

3 - Boyd Gordon

Possibly the last of our PHX additions, he will be our fourth line C and replace the long lost Malhotra, that veteren presence on the bench and ice who wins face offs and kills penalties that we have missed.

2-3 years at 1.5 million per season.

4. Briere

If Briere is bought out I would love to sign him, to have a playmaker with Kesler and Ryan, their big bodies would protect him, he is also a proven playoff performer, he wont seek a large salary at all say 1.5. He would also improve our teams depth at C.

In part of this we would also sign 1 of Hendricks or Torres to complete our fourth line, if we signed Torres it would make sense as he played with Gordon in PHX, is familiar with both Tippet and the canucks, and would be very similar to PHX UFA day in 2011 where they signed Smith, Torres and Gordon. Torres is still liked by our management team as we have tried to acquire him this past season, perhaps he will come back for a little less this time considering teams may be worried of his suspension track record.

Re-sign:

Alberts - 1.2

Tanev- 1.5

Buy-Out:

Upshall - Sorry Owners

Lineup:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Ryan-Kesler-Briere

Higgins-Couturier-Hansen

Torres-Gordon-Kassian 37.45

Hamuis-Bieksa 18.35

Garrison-Corrado

Kulikov-Tanev

Alberts 1.2

Mike Smith 6.9

J. Erikkson

Total 63.9 Million

Alternative moves if we cannot sign Briere:

Either ice Jordan Schroeder in his place, if not:

Add whatever it takes to land Wayne Simmonds in the Schneider- Couturier Deal.

Whether its a prospect plus a draft pick, a first, Jordan Schroeder or a combo.

New Lineup would be:

Sedin-Sedin-Simmonds/Burrows/Kassian

Ryan-Kesler-Burrows/Simmonds/Kassian

Higgins/Burrows-Couturier-Hansen

Higgins/Sesttito-Gordon-Kassian/Sesttito

Our top 6 improves but we lose depth in Torres, salary cap remains same as torres hit of 1.75 is a wash with Simmonds 1.75.

I know its a lot of movement, and not all likely but all the movements make us a better club, are plausible and its a little bit out there and different.

Both teams would be much tougher to play against in the playoffs and our improved depth would allow us to roll 4 lines which separates the most successful teams in the playoffs. Both rosters also provide lots of options line wise chemistry wise and depth in case of injuries, guys who are capable of stepping up when the need arises.

Schneider is a top 10 goalie in this league, couterier is not a top 10 center, so the value is off

Luongo is a top 10 goalie but has a fat ass contract which deminishes his value, so that trade is off too.

I think briere would be able to sign because smith would sign for less than 6.9 and briere would sign for more if needed idk not a big fan besides his playoffs, which we do need

I put 6.1 for Smith, as the max we could sign him, any less is great for sure, 6.9 was him and Eriksson, whose name I misspelt I see now lol, did this on my iphone it double posted the topic as well not sure how to delete that one either.

Some teams may have doubt for Schneider with injuries and his playoff performances have never shown he is a top 10 goalie in the league?

If we could get more in the trade awesome.

So you are saying a top ten goalie can get more than Sean Couturier, but a top ten goalie cant get Kulikov (who isnt a top 10 dman) because of his salary even when you are taking back Upshall who is dead salary?

Essentially Florida takes on 5 million in salary, but sends back 6, Kulikov will get a raise at the end of his contract and they most likely want to buy out upshall but cant afford it.

And thats why I have a back up to Briere

R3aL, If you're gonna part with such a remarkable tandem, fer gawd sakes bey, get more youth/future pieces!

Sub NYI for Philly, get 3 or 4 great young assets(for Van AND Utica), including Niederreiter. They'd probably kill for Schneids.

Gotta put this back in the box. Need youth(ELC's & size). A strong team today AND hope for the future is doable.

Well he does dive, and i dont care it would just draw us penalties, he also complemented him in that interview to said he handles the puck great, and it was a fired up translated interview, plus he prolly had the Edler suspension on his mind, when Edler was suspended for tapping him.

Dont think that would keep him from coming to Vancouver,

I dont think Smith is anything like Bryzgalov though

Archived