The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDCGML 2013-14

canuck2xtreme

oh yeah, it is going to be a good year for hockey I think, WJC, Olympics, full season of NHL, loads of outdoor games this year too. I was curious, how is Hockey in Oz? Well received, or just a small recreation thing? I played on the only ice sheet I think in all of Israel with a bunch of military clowns wearing team Canada knock off jersey's and we attracted quite a crowd..so much so that we had to have them announce that we were United Nations men on a break, playing the game for fitness and fun only, the crowd stayed, it was cool. But from that experience I know that after the European and North American hockey countries, it is few and far between, so I am very curious.

Is this where you played in Israel brother ,

Israel’s Canadian-Funded Rinks

Figure skating, speed skating and hockey may be scarce in the Middle East, but area residents find them in Metulla, an oasis of ice in Northern Israel.

Posted by Timbre Beck | Last updated: Mar 21

The Toronto Star reported in August about an ice rink in Israel that is bringing relief from extreme temperatures and war. The sports center in Metulla, Israel, reopened to figure skaters in a region where temperatures consistently reach over 100 degrees. The ice rink is on the border between Lebanon and Israel. The children of the region have had to deal with the threat of machine guns and bombs - in addition to the summer heat. Still, the Canada Centre remains on of Israel's major tourist attractions. It overlooks the Galilee, and, in addition to ice skating, offers swimming (with a water slide, saunas and jacuzzis), bowling, tennis, basketball, soccer. There is also a rifle range and gun shop. Israel's second-largest ice surface is about half the size of a regular hockey rink. It is second only to the Olympic-sized rink - both donated by Canada's Jewish community. For 21 years now they have been funding the development of the sports facility. Unfortunately, concussion blasts from cannons during Israeli fighting with Hezbollah guerrillas have left the roof of the larger rink badly damaged and opened only sporadically. The sports complex was also used as a temporary barracks for around 600 soldiers during the war. Since the cease-fire, sporadic fighting still plagues the area. As much as possible, residents don't let it deter them from enjoying their sports-recreation. After all, the Canada Centre is the only place in the nation to play hockey. Despite meager opportunities for training, Israel has managed to turn out a handful of world-class skaters, like 2002 World ice dancing bronze medalists Galit Chait and her Russian-born partner Sergei Sakhnovski. Also known on the international circuits are short-track speed skaters Sergei Katsov and Olga Danilov, and figure skaters Alexei Beletski and Natalia Gudina. Because of this summer's fighting, Israel's sports federation had to send its athletes to training camps in other parts of the world. Seven figure skaters and seven short track speed skaters trained in Slovakia this summer on the federation's dime. Boris Chait, the chairman of the IISF, told The Jerusalem Post: "We contend that the management and the directorate of the Canada Center have been irresponsible since the end of the war over the failure in re-opening both the heated pool and in particular the Olympic-sized rink." The manager of the Centre, Shmulik Ben-Shachar was reported as saying that they don't have the funds to reopen the large, regular-sized rink. The inscription on the entrance to the complex states: "Canada Centre is a partnership between the people of Israel and the Jewish community of Canada." Critics of the partnership worry that Canada has certain political objectives in funding the operation. Speculative conversations have brought up embassy movements and strategic strongholds as possible underlying motives. Fueling the conjecture is Peace Now, who reported 31 Israeli outposts were built without government authorization -- expanded this summer while Israeli authorities were focused on the Hezbollah war. According to the Canadian Jewish News, the charges were denied by the Yesha Council. Still, critics wonder if there might be a connection between the sports complex and the allegations. Those involved with funding the Canada Centre consider those thoughts extremist and unfounded. The official site of Israel's hockey team lists Canadian and Israeli contacts - which are actually the same email addresses. There were also specific recruiting efforts in Canada for Israel's national hockey team, with tryouts held in Ontario in June of 2006. Canadians have a connection with Israel that goes beyond ice skating. Confounding speculations is a recent $18.5 million dollar donation to Israel's Institute of Technology by a Canadian contributor, for example. JewishSports.com reports that Jews are very influential in the sports world as owners of major professional sports franchises. Perhaps the Canada Centre is a natural extension of trend that is not at all unique. While the fate of the Olympic-sized rink in Metulla is uncertain, the Israeli National Figure Skating Championships are still slated to take place at the Canada Centre. Also, ISU-sanctioned Skate Israel is scheduled for December 19-22, 2006. Here in Aus it is mainly the people that have been to Canada , and those that go in winter to ski , I have heaps of friends in whistler now doing a bike season and they are not exposed to hockey . In Melbourne there are now only 2 ice rinks , I live an hour to the east of Melbournes CBD, 10 years ago I used to drive all the way across Melbourne and out to Torquay , where they hold the longest running surf contest in the world , to surf and mountainbike , and on sunday nights play drop in hockey at the Geelong ice rink. We do have an icehockey league , but most kids do not start young enough to aquire the stick handling skills necessary to play in the big leagues in NA. One of my close friends put in a lot of effort with his son , after playing here for 8 years he took him to Canada to various hockey camps but he could not break into a team. I will be taking Lachie skating as soon as he can walk , and teaching him stickhandling skills in our drive way.

Good call Jax!

Agreed. The only decision that made sense, imo.

Thanks guys. I wish the offer was better (2 years expiring UFA?) but I'm pretty sure I know why it was done that way. Decision was made to match 2 seconds after I read that Brad had been offer sheeted but I figured I'd let Colorado sweat it out a bit. :)

Thanks guys. I wish the offer was better (2 years expiring UFA?) but I'm pretty sure I know why it was done that way. Decision was made to match 2 seconds after I read that Brad had been offer sheeted but I figured I'd let Colorado sweat it out a bit. :)

I sensed you might be cat and mousing him a bit.

I have to say though, it was awesome to see some offer sheet drama in our league! Every year we seem to get one big one and half of us probably curse that we didn't have the balls to put in the offer....lol

Ya there was no way I was letting him go for that kind of compensation. I would have been more happy if it was a 4 or 5 year deal.

Offer sheets are tough because you have to have all of your own picks and with this years cap coming down less teams had the space to do it.

Ya there was no way I was letting him go for that kind of compensation. I would have been more happy if it was a 4 or 5 year deal.

Offer sheets are tough because you have to have all of your own picks and with this years cap coming down less teams had the space to do it.

Or you don't have the guys to want to give up draft picks :P

I sensed you might be cat and mousing him a bit.

I have to say though, it was awesome to see some offer sheet drama in our league! Every year we seem to get one big one and half of us probably curse that we didn't have the balls to put in the offer....lol

Even though I know it is part of hockey I think it is a crappy way of doing business, and I believe most NHL GMs feel this way also as you do not see many offer sheets put out there.

Even though I know it is part of hockey I think it is a crappy way of doing business, and I believe most NHL GMs feel this way also as you do not see many offer sheets put out there.

I agree. That's why you dont see too many deals between the Canucks and Blues, the Ducks and Oilers. And on here you probably wont see many between Pittsburgh and Colorado.

On the other hand I bet the Minister is loving his oversheet that he got for Hedman and welcomes doing business with Tampa Bay :lol:

I disagree. It's in the CBA, it's legal and IMO it's fair game. And I think it's silly that teams would hold a grudge. If my GM wouldn't make a trade to improve my team because of something that occurred years ago, I'd fire them.

I think it's a brilliant part of the strategy of the game.

I disagree. It's in the CBA, it's legal and IMO it's fair game. And I think it's silly that teams would hold a grudge. If my GM wouldn't make a trade to improve my team because of something that occurred years ago, I'd fire them.

I think it's a brilliant part of the strategy of the game.

Please do not get me wrong , I am not expecting people to behave/believe as/what I do.

I think the reason we don't see more of them is the more practical side of things in the sense that they rarely work and to get the other team to let the player actually go a GM generally has to overpay in dollar, term, and/or draft picks (and usually all 3).

Some GM's I believe still do hold to the "code" but most just realize it is largely an ineffective way to acquire another player in a cap world.

More than ever teams need those draft picks to be able to play for them and they need their young RFA's on reasonable contracts as often as possible.

To be honest I'm ok with offer sheets in general. In most cases both sides get compensated if there is no matching. When you put an offer sheet out there you take the risk of burning a bridge. Its tough not to be pissed when a team goes after one of your younger skilled players. Normally I wouldnt have a problem with the offer sheet but I thought the term was odd on this one.

Archived