The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDCGML 2013-14

canuck2xtreme

Playoff Format (NEW for 2013-14)

The Stanley Cup Playoffs consists of 16 teams, eight from each conference. The top three teams in each division make up the first 12 teams in the playoffs. The remaining four spots are filled by the next two highest-placed finishers in each conference -- regardless of division -- based on regular-season points. It is possible for one division to send five teams to the postseason while the other sends three.

The seeding of the wild-card teams within each divisional playoff is determined by regular-season points. The division winner with the most points in the conference is matched against the wild-card team with the fewest points; the division winner with the second-most points in the conference plays the wild-card team with the second-fewest points. The teams finishing second and third in each division play in the first round of the playoffs. The winners of each series play for berths in the conference championship series. The winners of the conference championships advance to the Stanley Cup Final. Higher-seeded teams retain home-ice advantage in the first two rounds.

Home-ice advantage for the Conference Finals and Stanley Cup Final is determined by points.

All series are best-of-seven.

So if we mirror this exactly, we could be looking at the following if the season ended at noon today:

Eastern:

Florida Panthers VS Carolina Hurricanes

New Jersey Devils VS Buffalo Sabres

Ottawa Senators VS Boston Bruins

New York Rangers VS Washington Capitals

Western:

Los Angeles Kings VS Edmonton Oilers

Minnesota Wild VS Vancouver Canucks

San Jose Sharks vs Phoenix Coyotes

Winnipeg Jets VS Chicago Blackhawks

There is of course still some jockeying to be done with around 8 or 9 games left in the season, and several close races still to be determined. Two things that stuck out for me is that Squeak will face ThatMike in the first round, which made me grin, and Yes TheMinister, the Isles still have a chance! Also Chicago is not yet safe, even though Colorado sits two spots back from a wildcard berth...it aint over till its over!

It is back: the Three Stars of the Month! here in new york we passed on the three stars for February, with the Olympic Break it seemed a bit of a small sample of games to worry about, but now its back, with a Vengence!

As is our custom, the short list precedes the actual announcement by a few days, and what a short list we have this time around.

Thus far on the month we have nine players north of 50 points for March, and that seems like a great place to make the cut for the Three Stars of March short list.

Mike Smith: 90 points (would likely have cracked a hundred if he didn't sit out the last two games injured)

Jarome Iginla: 82 points (folks may have thought i was a bit nuts to pay so much for the aging star, but 351 points later, I am glad we got him)

Eddie Lack: 75 points (I don't think anyone saw Eddie taking the mantle in Vancouver so fast, wooooh!)

Joe Thornton: 71 points (no explanation is necessary, he is Big Joe)

Andrej Sekera: 68 points (With Souray on LTIR all season long, Andrej has siezed the moment to earn his top pairing position)

Thomas Vanek and Mikael Backlund: 62 points (yes you read that right. Backlund and Vanek sitting equal in points for the month. Vanek has finally adjusted to his new digs and Mikael may just have found his NHL stride, and just in time!)

Milan Michalek: 53 points (a great pickup shortly after the winter roster freeze, Milan has had a good month)

Sami Salo: 50 points (all that AND he won the shootout last night with a backhander as the 13th Tampa Bay shooter..what a ride!!!!)

Tune in mid week next week to see the Three Stars of March!

every time i read sekera i could kick myself ..also iggy

standingsEastern.png

ATLANTIC

1small.png Florida Panthers 5225 X

2small.png Ottawa Senators 4826 X

3small.png Boston Bruins 4684 X

METROPOLITAN

1small.png New Jersey Devils 4887 X

2small.png New York Rangers 4543

3small.png Washington Capitals 4380

WILD CARD

1small.png Buffalo Sabres 4566

2small.png Carolina Hurricanes 4255

3small.png Pittsburgh Penguins 4253

4small.png New York Islanders 4149

5small.png Detroit Redwings 4088

6small.png Tampa Bay Lightning 3952

7small.png Toronto Maple Leafs 3862

8small.png Montreal Canadiens 3794

9small.png Philadelphia Flyers 3423

standingsWestern.png

CENTRAL

1small.png Minnesota Wild 4612 X

2small.png Winnipeg Jets 4448 X

3small.png Chicago Blackhawks 4082

PACIFIC

1small.png Los Angeles Kings 5105 X

2small.png San Jose Sharks 4526 X

3small.png Phoenix Coyotes 4493 X

WILD CARD

1small.png Vancouver Canucks 4393 X

2small.png Edmonton Oilers 4114

3small.png Anaheim Ducks 3817

4small.png Colorado Avalanche 3740

5small.png Nashville Predators 3615

6small.png St Louis Blues 3603

7small.png Calgary Flames 3134

8small.png Dallas Stars 3088

9small.png Columbus Blue Jackets 2880

It is strange to see Chicago sitting in that 3rd spot in the central, while three teams with more points currently sit outside the playoffs in the East :shock:

Yup, it is a long shot but I think it is more strange that in theory Colorado could gain 340 points and literally leapfrog the wildcards and take that 3rd spot from Chicago...again not likely but if they did, they wouldn't take a WC spot, they would either sieze the 3rd central or else not make the playoffs.

Yup, it is a long shot but I think it is more strange that in theory Colorado could gain 340 points and literally leapfrog the wildcards and take that 3rd spot from Chicago...again not likely but if they did, they wouldn't take a WC spot, they would either sieze the 3rd central or else not make the playoffs.

i hope for some luck at the draft lottery :D

currently i´m above nashville if the Ramo and Bournival Points would be added ...but i hope nashville and philly will pass me at the end..lol

I hope we do too, seeing as we traded our draft pick away...

your chances are good because most of my players sucks since the olympic break

further i have just 4 active defenders ...sulzer, erskine are out ....tallinder and volchenkov are off + volchenkov is injred now

gelinas incosistence or he has been a scratch ...Ehrhoff a shadow of the Pre Olympics Ehrhoff ...my best defender this month is Eric Gryba ...lol

I've struggled badly with injuries recently as well, just now getting some players back. Dennis Wideman is a big loss to me, I can't place him on IR either due to the previous GM not having good enough medical facilities in place...

Losing Henrik Zetterberg basically killed off any hopes I had of climbing 2/3 spots in the standings.

WAIVERS: The St. Louis Blues have claimed Cory Emmerton from the New York Islanders via waivers.

WAIVERS: Curtis McElhinney (STL) has cleared waivers.

WAIVERS: Michael Rupp (PHI) has cleared waivers.

WAIVERS: Trevor Smith (PIT) has cleared waivers.

WAIVERS: Jordin Tootoo (WSH) has cleared waivers.

WAIVERS: Joey Crabb (STL) has cleared waivers.

WAIVERS: The St. Louis Blues have claimed Cory Emmerton from the New York Islanders via waivers.

WAIVERS: Curtis McElhinney (STL) has cleared waivers.

WAIVERS: Michael Rupp (PHI) has cleared waivers.

WAIVERS: Trevor Smith (PIT) has cleared waivers.

Assignment: The Blues assign F Torrey Mitchell to Greenville (not Waiver eligible till April 1st)

The Blues places Cory Emmerton on the active Roster

Archived