The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Judging draft class depth

This year saw what is regarded as one of the deeper drafts in recent times. Possibly not on the scale of 2003, put there was a lot of quality throughout.

My question is, how far in advance can this sort of depth be judged? If 2017, for example, were to be a deep year, and we could spot it this season (assume no other teams can spot it yet), would it not be a strategy to trade picks to be in 2017 and not in other years (eg, our 4th and 5th from 2016 for your 2017 third)?

Personally I always hate it when scouts blab about draft classes being weak or strong before or slightly after they happen. The topic is so hit and miss. Even the draft board isn't consistent. They have pushed players as great prospects almost all year than in a matter of weeks that player can drop far down the board while some no names fly up the board. Not to mention over the next 3 years of development many of the big prospects can continue to drop before they even see the NHL while later round picks emerge as strong prospects. They have pushed some other years as deep and they just look average at best now as well as some as weak that have pushed out some pretty decent talent.

I find it kind of humerous to see people regarding this draft as one of the deepest when none of the players have even played a game in the NHL.

In other words to put your stock in something like that is to put your stock in a group of people who change their opinions and reports on players on an almost week to week basis.

Way to early. Apart from a few obvious choices it's even too early to decide who will be good in 2015, and then there's the fact that you'd have trouble predicting where any particular team would end up in the standings more than a year down the road and then you quickly have no idea who you'd eventually be able to pick.

I've always been curious if teams can make trades like this. For example if we think we will be better than say Minny this year and they think they will be better than us can GM's trade draft picks. It would basically work out as a friendly bet as the better your team does the lower the other team picks.

Archived