The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should I buy extended warranty on my MacBook Air?

MikeGillis58

Don't do it. Extended warranties are how companies make money; they're mostly scams.

The worst that will (likely) happen is that your battery may need to be replaced before 3 years is up, in which case that's cheaper than the warranty (the going rate these days for battery + installation is around $200, and you can't buy legit Apple batteries by themselves anymore - they need to be replaced as a "service").

I have a 15 inch MBP with Retina, as well as a 13 inch MBP without. The screen difference is actually quite distinct - the screen is much more sharp, and because the Retina computers have an SSD default, they're faster as well.

If you're into photography or anything that requires a keen eye for detail, I'd recommend the Retina display.

For the 300 dollar warranty, don't get the BestBuy BS. It's the most terrible customer service and it takes forever to get anything back. Both them and Future Shop are exactly the same (evidently, they're owned by the same people). Grab AppleCare, it's nowhere near that expensive. I believe I got it for like 80 bucks with the Student Discount or whatever for the summer, providing you go to a university. AppleCare covers chargers and the battery also I believe, as I just got my charger replaced no questions asked. All I needed to do was show the problem.

I should add, this is on the 13 inch MBP, bought in Sept. '11. Everything else on it is still great, although I have updated the RAM up to 16GB. I've even spilt water, beer, and had chocolate melt into my fan, and after cleaning it out it runs just like new.

If you buy a computer over $1000, then yes; otherwise, that's complete nonsense. I went through 3 PC laptops in 4 years, either something crashed shortly after the warranty expired or they just weren't durable enough.

Yeah I got mine in late August 2011, and the thing still runs like a charm with 30GB of music on it. Apple says the "max" is 8GB, but several people have put in 16GB no problem (I got mine for about 120 on sale at newegg).

Does your HDD sudden motion sensor make loud noises when you move it around at all? It seems mine does whenever I move it. Kinda annoying, but it's there for a reason; just think that mine is kind of touchy. Other than that and the charger issue, it's been smooth sailing for nearly 2 full years.

I just bought my MacBook Air from Best Buy today. If I didn't have some Best Buy gift cards, I would have bought my Mac at the Apple store because the service at Best Buy sucked. The sales person acted nice in the beginning, I gave him a chance to make his extended warranty pitch. Then when I said no, his attitude changed completely. No eye contact, no smile, no thank you. He just quickly ring up my transactions without even asking for my points card. After the transaction when I wanted to add my points, he made me wait 5 minutes in line at customer service. Honestly, what kind of crappy service is this? I'm glad I never bought their Best Buy extended warranty.

I just bought my MacBook Air from Best Buy today. If I didn't have some Best Buy gift cards, I would have bought my Mac at the Apple store because the service at Best Buy sucked. The sales person acted nice in the beginning, I gave him a chance to make his extended warranty pitch. Then when I said no, his attitude changed completely. No eye contact, no smile, no thank you. He just quickly ring up my transactions without even asking for my points card. After the transaction when I wanted to add my points, he made me wait 5 minutes in line at customer service. Honestly, what kind of crappy service is this? I'm glad I never bought their Best Buy extended warranty.

No, I don't believe so.... But for some reason, my fan would just turn on and stay on for a good five minutes for no apparent reason. I'll be in lecture taking notes, as I was just now, and my fan turns on and stays on... It's so loud that I get embarrassed when it happens.. I only have Microsoft Word, Google Chrome, Mail, and Twitter on and it'd still go on, which I don't get.

Unless things have changed, Best Buy doesn't have a commission-based sales force, so I wonder why he was such a d-bag after you said no.

Also shows how poorly-trained they are at that store. Odds are they have poor management. You ALWAYS want the customer to leave with a positive experience first and foremost. A bunch of other obvious mistakes on his part just from what you said in your posts.

Damn you have a 16GB RAM?? I thought when I switched to 8GB I was fine but now I want 16GB. And I have the same 13 inch MBP as you. Bought it in July 2011..

And then replace the laptop a year and a half later spending more money that you wouldn't have spent if you paid the extra couple hundred dollars for a MacBook, which will still run as if it was brand new.

I've had my 13 inch MBP since July 2011. It's July 2013 (damn that was fast) and my MacBook is still running pretty fast. Obviously not as fast as when I first used it but for the price I paid, it's definitely worth the money. What I find the problem with Windows laptops compared to Apple is that Windows laptops, their lifespan is a year. Maximum two years if you're EXTREMELY careful with everything you do on your laptop. Reason I say that is because Windows laptops tend to slow down and lag on almost everything you do on your laptop after about a year for no apparent reason. Even if you were just using it to type documents, surf the web, and occasionally download music or movies or whatever. I'm not trying to start an argument on Mac vs PC but I'm just stating the obvious.

I used to work at Best Buy not too long ago, not in sales, but Best Buy employees do not make commission unless they sell you the warranty, which is good and bad. We get paid hourly and the commission we get from selling the warranty is shared throughout the store, which helps the store make extra money. Yes, Best Buy's PSP isn't that great, but at the same time, it is an added benefit. Honestly, if you were to get an extended warranty on your MacBook Air, get Apple Care. It's cheaper, the customer service is a lot better than Best Buy's, on the phone anyways, and best of all, your AppleCare coverage plan covers you anywhere in the world that has an Apple Store. So if your computer completely shut down two years from now and you're stuck in London, England because you were at a conference or vacation, what you can do is bring it to an Apple Store in London, explain what happened, and if you are covered with AppleCare, they'll replace it for you straight up.

I have a $300 cheap acer netbook and it has been going strong for 3 years without a crash, HDD/RAM failure or even a virus. Either you suck at taking care of your things or you are unlucky with non-apple products. Apple products aren't made of titanium and all their inside components are made in china, similar to most of the other laptops.

Yes. Without a question. Laptops including Mac books have a 43% repair rate. They don't make computer as good as they used too. One of the key things with the new Mac products as well is that everything is all sauteed onto the mother board so its not just individual parts to replace. It's now one giant part which makes life a living hell if something goes wrong and you don't have a extended warranty. Plus if you have 4 repairs yours going to get a brand new computer which happened to my buddy and ended up getting the new mac book pro. Like you said power cord is also included personally Ive gone threw 4 in 3 years and apple power cords are like 94 bucks... There 4 year option is 399.99 they normal will take 100 bucks off the computer so you get 4 years for the price of 299.99 which is 50 dollars cheaper than apple care and gives you an extra year.

Archived