The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Derek Stepan seeking $28M+ over 6 years

Agreed. Torts basically just needs to hold fast. He doesn't need to be a miracle worker the next couple of years as we've retained more talent throughout our roster than any other team as far as I can see. We lost very little and have a few kids in the roster who are all on the upswing. We also snagged some talent for cheap.

Next year our biggest issue will be actually paying Hansen for the insane value we've gotten from him over his latest contract. But we have room for that. And if Booth continues to have injury troubles, we can buy him out and just flat out buy a hell of a good second liner. Sedins aren't going anywhere and everyone else is locked up.

While it's true Hansen is the "big" name that will probably get paid next season (Sedins resign for similar or less) Schroeder, Kassian and Tanev will need to be signed as well. I believe all 3 will get a nice bump in their pay, possibly Schroeder being traded or let to walk depending on his season. Which leads me to question, will we re-signing Hansen or trade/let him walk? While I believe Hansen is a great player in his role and love him, it does make me question whether his spot can be given to a young prospect or a cheaper option via FA

Archived