The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What is with my horrible luck :(

yawn.3x

Lol you guys are having a very nice and civil discussion..... but in regards to MY TOPIC, not discrimination :),

I decided to keep it platonic and just ask her as a friend. She is a really cool person and I like spending time with her for the sake of spending time with her. My friend did bring up a good point as well, "the whole point of asking her out is to get to know her better anyways" so it will be fun. Assuming she'll even go as "Friends"

How do people do that? If I ask a girl out and she rejects me she will never ever want to see me again, not even as a friend. When I play the game of dating I get laid or I don't; there is no middle ground.

lol let the name calling begin.

What name calling? Hypocrite? That's not name calling. You said you're against all forms of discrimination and yet you discriminate against certain people. That makes you a hypocrite.

Hypocrite

(1) A person who engages in the same behaviors he condemns others for.

(2) A person who professes certain ideals, but fails to live up to them.

Sounds like you, no?

There's nothing interesting about Sansa. Hodor on the other hand...

Sansa is actually a very interesting character because you would normally only be able to find a protagonist like that in romance novels. Since most fiction writers are male, most of them do not do a very good job, or don't even try, to write a character like Sansa well.

Nowadays, it seems like a good female character is one who is written as a man with boobs. But GRRM and HBO manage to create a good looking, high born brat who is also gritty and hard (and if you have read ahead, smart and vengeful as well).

And Hodor just does what he is told....

Back on topic, myy point was that I wouldn't pick a female name for my profile.

What name calling? Hypocrite? That's not name calling. You said you're against all forms of discrimination and yet you discriminate against certain people. That makes you a hypocrite.

Hypocrite

(1) A person who engages in the same behaviors he condemns others for.

(2) A person who professes certain ideals, but fails to live up to them.

Sounds like you, no?

no. as i said i make a distinction between different kinds of discrimination. saying i'm against all kind of discrimination was i guess somewhat of an awkward way of stating that i'm opposed to the kind of discrimination described in discrimination's conventional definition.

dis·crim·i·na·tion: the unjust or prejudicial treatment of different categories of people or things, esp. on the grounds of race, age, or sex.

i have no issue forbidding drunk divers from driving because it's not unjust.

anyway, since we're doing definitions:

big·ot:

a person who strongly and unfairly dislikes other people, ideas, etc. : a bigoted person; especially : a person who hates or refuses to accept the members of a particular group (such as a racial or religious group)

anyway, since we're doing definitions:

big·ot:

a person who strongly and unfairly dislikes other people, ideas, etc. : a bigoted person; especially : a person who hates or refuses to accept the members of a particular group (such as a racial or religious group)

Thanks for the definition but what does bigot have to do with anything? You seem to discriminate against people with drug problems and "unfairly dislike" them. You a bigot?

As for the OP that got all this started...

So now I ask an individual out to go somewhere with me, and her response:

"Sorry I told myself I would never date someone who isn't Christian because my faith means that much to me"

Where does what she said make her a bigot? He's not the Christian, she is. She never said she hates him or refuses to accept him. She said she doesnt want to go out with him. Tell me you can tell the difference.

Thanks for the definition but what does bigot have to do with anything? You seem to discriminate against people with drug problems and "unfairly dislike" them. You a bigot?

What part of unfair do you not understand? Not wanting to associate with someone who breaks the law is not unfair. I don't dislike people with drug issues, and in fact i've had some friends with such problems but i'd think twice before renting them an apartment, letting them babysit my kids, or getting in a relationship with one... being a drug addict is obviously something extremely negative and destructive, and it's something that people can change. Race, sexual preference, religion etc... aren't on the the line.

As for the OP that got all this started...

Where does what she said make her a bigot? He's not the Christian, she is. She never said she hates him or refuses to accept him. She said she doesnt want to go out with him. Tell me you can tell the difference.

she refuses to even consider dating him, not based on his personality or quantities or who he really is, or anything else, but simply because he doesn't believe in her religion. that is clearly narrow-minded in my estimation but we obviously disagree so i don't really see the point in keeping on going back and forth.

What part of unfair do you not understand? Not wanting to associate with someone who breaks the law is not unfair. I don't dislike people with drug issues, and in fact i've had some friends with such problems but i'd think twice before renting them an apartment, letting them babysit my kids, or getting in a relationship with one... being a drug addict is obviously something extremely negative and destructive, and it's something that people can change. Race, sexual preference, religion etc... aren't on the the line.

she refuses to even consider dating him, not based on his personality or quantities or who he really is, or anything else, but simply because he doesn't believe in her religion. that is clearly narrow-minded in my estimation but we obviously disagree so i don't really see the point in keeping on going back and forth.

Narrow-minded I'll accept. Discrimination, no way. Even the OP agrees with me.

So I guess this thread can either get back on track or die off now that we're done.

Narrow-minded I'll accept.

yeesh! why didn't you just say that from the start instead of "I dont think having strong convictions is being narrow minded"!! we could have avoided this whole conversation haha!

Discrimination, no way. Even the OP agrees with me.

So I guess this thread can either get back on track or die off now that we're done.

To be fair, discrimination doesn't require the subject of the discrimination to identify it as such. but anyway. i guess my last question would be do you think refusing to date someone because of their race is discrimination or just narrow-minded? (not rhetorical, i think it's an interesting question).

Don't believe anyone threw this out there; from the bible: 2 Corinthians 6:14 (KJV)

Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

This verse is believed to be by many bible readers and "believers" to imply that a christian should not marry a nonbeliver and what is likely controlling her thinking here. But, like most bible verses imho, it amounts to little more than good advice. Which leads me to take some divergence with the minister who weighed in stating that he believes the girl is being obedient to God and is confident that she will see blessings in her life for choosing to honor God in her relationships.

The OP stated that the reason she was doing this is because she had made a promise to herself. Seems like it's more about honoring herself than "God". But really it she seems more like a young person in search of herself and trying with all good intention to do the right things but at the same time dealing with internal conflicts. In all likelyhood she will not feel the same way about things five and ten years down the line.

Well I'm not exactly going to post her life experiences about why she chose the path of Christianity, however I do have an update!

We are going on a date, and I could tell she liked me a lot before but was just really confused and probably still is confused. However now I'm feeling extremely guility because it seems like I put a "seed of doubt" in her mind when really that isn't my intention at all. I respect her faith a lot and TBH I have no issues if she continues it..

The main reason she's against dating a non-Christian was because she knows people who have tried it that got married and divorced and didn't work out (obviously) because of having different beliefs, so I guess I'm the one who gets a chance. hopefully I don't screw it up

I'm not saying it's not her right. I am saying it's closed minded. She's free to discriminate in her personal relationships. She can decide not to date white people, she can decide not to date jews, she can refuse to talk to gays. but rejecting someone purely because of their religious beliefs in the 21st century is quite closed minded IMO.

Do you have religious beliefs and if so, how much do they affect your personal life and the daily decisions you make? If you lack religious beliefs, then I don't think you can appreciate why someone with firm faith convictions would not want to enter into a relationship with someone who does not share their religious beliefs. This is common sense. A believer's faith is a deeply important part of their life and if an unbelieving partner refuses to have anything to do with those religious beliefs, then conflict is bound to occur. Far down the road, if children come, how will the partners decide to raise them - with faith or without faith?

not to mention divorce rates are higher among conservative Christians than Atheists and Agnostics.

False.

http://thegospelcoalition.org/blogs/tgc/2012/09/25/factchecker-divorce-rate-among-christians/

Do you have religious beliefs and if so, how much do they affect your personal life and the daily decisions you make? If you lack religious beliefs, then I don't think you can appreciate why someone with firm faith convictions would not want to enter into a relationship with someone who does not share their religious beliefs. This is common sense. A believer's faith is a deeply important part of their life and if an unbelieving partner refuses to have anything to do with those religious beliefs, then conflict is bound to occur. Far down the road, if children come, how will the partners decide to raise them - with faith or without faith?

i understand that religious belief is very important to some people. I'm not saying rejecting people of other religions (or none at all) is illogical for those people. i'm just saying it's closed minded. look, a lot of people hate black people, or white people or jews etc... obviously it makes sense for them not to date black people or white people or jewish people. obviously there would be major problems in their relationships because of their close-mindedness. it makes logical sense, but i still don't think it's right.

sorry but "the gospel coalition" is hardly a reliable source. (here's an atheist source with different numbers). but honestly all your article is assessing are hard core religious people. of course they have low divorce rates. i bet the taliban have fantastic percentages. that's not the case for the vast majority of "Christians" or "jews" or "muslims" or whatnot. OP himself has portrayed this girl as somewhat of a casual Christian.

i understand that religious belief is very important to some people. I'm not saying rejecting people of other religions (or none at all) is illogical for those people. i'm just saying it's closed minded. look, a lot of people hate black people, or white people or jews etc... obviously it makes sense for them not to date black people or white people or jewish people. obviously there would be major problems in their relationships because of their close-mindedness. it makes logical sense, but i still don't think it's right.

Yeah and to add to that, race is not a choice. Religion is. What you are essentially implying but are too nice to say out right is that being a person of strong faith is being purposely close-minded. And if one was raised that way, then his/her parents were purposely close-minded as well. Dawkins would agree with you on this.

Archived