The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why the Sedins Should be Consistently Separated

criticallycanuck

John Tortorella has shown that he's not afraid to pull the trigger on separating his two most skillful forwards in certain conditions. Here's why it should become the modus operandi for the team going forward (at least at 5 on 5):

Daniel Sedin, despite being historically the team's preferred sniper, is, by far, the best playmaker on the team after his brother Hank.

The second line currently features at centre, Mike Santorelli, the biggest story of the season early, but currently mired in a serious slump. In the end, despite his strong early play, he is a bit of reach as your number two pivot.

Ryan Kesler has proven time and time again that he is an elite defensive centre and legitimate sniper when featured on the wing with the Sedins either on the PP or the top line. He's also proven time and time again that he does not make those around him better - he is not a set up man in the least.

Jordan Schroeder hasn't proven he's ready to run the second line, not that he's physically able anyway.

And finally Henrik has demonstrated, as one of the league's elite playmakers for years, that he can make just about anyone look good. Particularly, you will recall his Art Ross trophy win from the season that his

brother missed nearly 20 games.

So it follows:

Henrik on the first line with the likes of Higgins, Hansen, Burrows or Kassian manning the wings.

And a second line with Kesler being supported by Daniel. Insert a winger from above and you are good to go.

In the end, the logic is clear, your two best set up men shouldn't be playing together. Especially when you are scoring one goal per game.

Once we can make a trade or two like I originally said like Schroeder & Booth for Ott our line-up would look like this come playoffs. Hopefully MG can add another Big Defenseman as well eg. Willie Mitchell Scuderi type.at the deadline.

D.Sedin - Kesler - Burrows

Santorelli - H.Sedin - Kassian

Higgins - Ott - Hansen

Archibald - Richardson - Weise

Sestito/Welsh

Edler - Garrison

Hammer - Bieska

Stanton - Tanev

Corrado/Mitchell type

Luongo - Lack

I mean come playoff time with Torts, Sully & Gully & looking at that line-up I truly believe we could compete with anybody.

This is the way I see us having the most success & being a lot tougher of a team to play against with the added size in Ott, Archie, Welsh as well as that Big D. We would be as deep & built for the playoffs like any of the other Elite teams.

I think to win in the playoffs you need a competitive third line. This competitive third line would be Higgins Santorelli Hansen.

Then your top two lines, I fully agree the Sedins should be split and it should look like this:

Kassian Henrik Booth?

Daniel Kesler Burrows

If Booth can play like he should be playing, then absolutely this would work. Daniel Kesler Burrows would be an unbelievable line and I'm glad you have this in your initial post. But yes, if Edler was able to be traded for that top 6 forward then we would be looking pretty good.. but NTC. And Booth is just non existent these days which is unfortunate. I mean how would these lines look if Booth was actually playing like the player he should be:

Kassian Henrik Booth

Daniel Kesler Burrows

Higgins Santorelli Hansen

Weise Richardson Archibald

Edler Garrison

Hamhuis Tanev

Bieksa Stanton

Luongo

Lack

Split the twins to BEGIN games. The cycle is more effective later, when opposing D may tire; AND especially when reffs have to whistle some make up-calls(don't tell me that doesn't happen)...

Example:

Higgins-Henrik-Kassian

Daniel-Kesler-Burrows

Richardson-Santorelli-Hansen

About middle of/late-2nd period...

Daniel-Henrik-Burrows

Higgins-Kesler-Kassian/Santorelli/Hansen

USE/SAVE THE CYCLE FOR LATER IN THE F@CKIN' GAME!!!!!!!!!

I think to win in the playoffs you need a competitive third line. This competitive third line would be Higgins Santorelli Hansen.

Then your top two lines, I fully agree the Sedins should be split and it should look like this:

Kassian Henrik Booth?

Daniel Kesler Burrows

If Booth can play like he should be playing, then absolutely this would work. Daniel Kesler Burrows would be an unbelievable line and I'm glad you have this in your initial post. But yes, if Edler was able to be traded for that top 6 forward then we would be looking pretty good.. but NTC. And Booth is just non existent these days which is unfortunate. I mean how would these lines look if Booth was actually playing like the player he should be:

Kassian Henrik Booth

Daniel Kesler Burrows

Higgins Santorelli Hansen

Weise Richardson Archibald

Edler Garrison

Hamhuis Tanev

Bieksa Stanton

Luongo

Lack

I'm actually liking Booth on that top line in this split up scenario. Could see him potentially coming around... at least increase his chances of that happening. Get Kassian banging away to create room for Hank and Booth to find some scoring chemistry. But that's a hopeful perfect world scenario ... like this though.

Archived