The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

GM is recalling 18,941 Chevy Camaros because...

Grapefruits

Tales of the Red Tape #42: Peeling Back Nonsense in Vehicle Regulation

Diane Katz

November 22, 2013 at 4:56 pm

Camaro131122.jpg

Gene Blevins/Polaris/Newscom

General Motors Corp. (GM) is recalling 18,941 Chevy Camaros (model years 2013 and 2014) for violating Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 208—Occupant Crash Protection.

Defective seat belts? Air bag malfunction? Brake failure?

Nope.

GM is recalling 18,941 Chevy Camaros because the air bag warning label on the sun visor may peel.

Seriously.

The recall decision was made by the Executive Field Action Decision Committee, following a review by the Field Performance Evaluation Review Committee. So, pursuant to 49 CFR §573.6, the automaker submitted to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) its determination of noncompliance for the requirement that the visor label be “permanently affixed.”

GM also issued a stop delivery order to dealers, and instructed them to inspect the label on each sun visor (“using a finger nail, plastic card, or similar” to determine proper adhesion). In the event a label is prone to peel, the entire sun visor must be scrapped and replaced.

This is no small matter, evidently. If the air bag warning label detaches from the visor, the driver and front seat passenger may not be warned of the risks of air bag deployment. Or so goes the reasoning for the adhesion edict. But even when warned via visor label, a driver and front seat passenger have little choice about air bag deployment, since the potentially dangerous equipment is required by the NHTSA itself.

In other words, General Motors is required under NHTSA rules to initiate a recall of 18,941 vehicles because of a danger created by other NHTSA rules. Perhaps it is regulators who should come with a warning label.

-------------

So glad they are there to keep us safe. What a huge waste of money!

ford................found on road dead

Very original of you.

But let's look at the reality of this:

Ford trucks out perform, out sell and generally out last Chevys. And the Avalanche is just laughable. no truck should have that much plastic on it. Ever.

The Sonic, Spark, Cruize and Malibu have nothing on the Fiesta, Focus, Fusion or Taurus.

Cameros get embarrassed by Shelby and Mustang

Equinox. Suburban and Tahoes are out performed routinely by Escapes, Expeditions, Explorers and the Edge. I will surrender that I am not a fan of the Flex at all, but those who own them seem to love them.

Ford is also further advanced in the eco friendly and hybrid movement.

Very original of you.

But let's look at the reality of this:

Ford trucks out perform, out sell and generally out last Chevys. And the Avalanche is just laughable. no truck should have that much plastic on it. Ever.

The Sonic, Spark, Cruize and Malibu have nothing on the Fiesta, Focus, Fusion or Taurus.

Cameros get embarrassed by Shelby and Mustang

Equinox. Suburban and Tahoes are out performed routinely by Escapes, Expeditions, Explorers and the Edge. I will surrender that I am not a fan of the Flex at all, but those who own them seem to love them.

Ford is also further advanced in the eco friendly and hybrid movement.

I thought that this was marketing bs as other companies sell the same truck in many different guises.

Brand loyalty these days among the major (foreign and domestic) manufacturers is pretty silly. They all make good products, just comes down to what catches you eye. That being said, I will go with Ford as the best manufacturers of work trucks but if you are buying one for that reason you are buying a piece of work equipment, not a vehicle. Car wise, just based on looks and nostalgia I'm much more likely to choose a newer Camaro or Challenger over the Mustang.

Archived