The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Shawn Thornton Slew Foots Orpik, Proceeds to Punch Him While He's Down UPDATE : 15 GAME SUSPENSION

I was just about to say that. This definitely reminded me of the Bertuzzi/Moore incident. Thornton should definitely get the book thrown at him.

That being said, if anyone saw the hit Orpik laid on Eriksson in the opening minutes of the game, you can understand why Thorton went straight for him. Orpik went in for the big hit (no intention of playing the puck), caught Eriksson with his head down and Eriksson went straight for the locker room without returning. Orpik chose never fight Chara, Lucic or Thorton when they challenged him after that hit and so there was nothing to satisfy the Bruins of what they saw as a a dirty hit to injure one of their star players.

It does make you wonder if Orpik had just accepted the challenge to fight that he wouldn't have become the victim of a dirty cheap shot

I can understand that, but that doesn't entitle him to sucker Orpik.

Why not just pull his gloves off and start scrapping?

Surprise surprise... PJ Stock and the boys just defended Thornton during the 2nd intermission of the Leafs/Sens game, saying it was Orpik's fault for not fighting. What a joke.

They weren't really defending his actions. More like using that scenario to argue that the instigator rule should be taken out and fighting shouldn't be taken out of the game.

Archived