The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If we Acquire Deadline Player, it Better be a Puck Mover...

Ugli Fruit

I really prefer not to acquire a deadline player. I actually like the Canucks be a seller at the deadline. The prices are high, and you can get a first rounder for players like Higgins or Richardson. Canucks will not win it this year, so it is a good time to retool and give some of the prospects a chance.

I think Ehrhoff only had 1-2 points after the Nashville series, he was a good regular season pmd.

We not only need a good PMD, we need one who can step his game up in clutch situations and who is a strong leader.

I know they don't grow on trees but those DMen u mentioned OP aren't just pmd's. They are stud number one DMen.

Every cup winner/dynasty has at least one, the only cup winner in recent memory that I can think of that didn't have a stud number one D was Carolina and I believe that was an anomaly.

Ehrhoff never was the answer. Look at what he is doing In buffalo? Lol him and Edler just had good chemistry. We need to go all in and try to pry a number one d man from somewhere. Gotta be patient though, it's not happening this year.

OP makes a good case. Several of our D (Edler, Hamhuis, Tanev, Stanton) have a reasonable to good first pass, but none is good enough to count as a "puck-mover" let alone a PP quarterback type. Other problems with our D are that they aren't physical enough and can't clear the net and that we don't really have a water-tight shutdown pair (as all our late-game collapses show). Even when our D is healthy and playing pretty well, it feels more like D by committee rather than a group where there are clearly defined roles and specializations. There are advantages to both scenarios but I'd prefer to see us move towards a clearer division of labour. This is not going to be easy to do. The NTC are one reason, but another is that even if we manage to move one of our current top six (plus whatever other assets are needed) to pick up a player like Yandle, what we gain in puck movement only exposes us further physically. Realistically, we'd need to make a couple of moves simultaneously and I don't see it happening.

Archived