The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] BIG Trade Deadline Deals

Van: Ryan Kelser, Chris Higgins

Pitt: Brandon Sutter, Beau Bennett, Derrick Pouliot, Reid McNeill, 2015 1st Round Pick, 2014 2nd Round Pick

The Breakdown:

Pittsburgh does this deal because they gain some crazy forward depth and get 2 solid players who will be able to come through for them in the playoffs. Canucks do this deal because we gain young assets and make room for some of our prospects to come and join the team. Ryan Kesler alone can get us Sutter, Bennett, Pouliot, and the 1st Round Pick. By adding Chris Higgins to the deal it can also get us McNeill and a 2nd Round Pick.

Van: Alex Edler, Yann Sauve, 2014 5th Round Pick

Ott: Chris Phillips, Matt Puempel, Shane Prince, 2015 2nd Round Pick, 2015 3rd Round Pick

The Breakdown:

Ottawa does this deal because they get a solid defenseman who is about to enter his prime and can play along side Karlsson. Both Edler and Karlsson can work well together, like they did at the Sochi Olympics. Vancouver does this deal because we get 2 solid forward prospects, a 2nd Round Pick, and a good defenseman who we can re-sign.

I would do this but don't think it works out. They need a third line center. Also they don't have a 2nd in 2014 I believe.

Better is

Van: Ryan Kelser, Brad Richardson

Pitt: Brandon Sutter, Beau Bennett, Derrick Pouliot, 2014 1st Round Pick, 2015 2nd Round Pick unless cup win then 1st

Pitts I could see happening but not the ottawa trade...

also

The Canucks have to be the clear winners in trading Kesler or the trade is not worth it.

The Canucks have lost too many trades (even if both sides lost) and Kesler is their best player, so why trade him unless you are clearly going to gain something

I would do this but don't think it works out. They need a third line center. Also they don't have a 2nd in 2014 I believe.

Better is

Pitt: Brandon Sutter, Beau Bennett, Derrick Pouliot, 2014 1st Round Pick, 2015 2nd Round Pick unless cup win then 1st

We have no need for another 3rd line centre. We've got plenty.

Better is

I would rather not take a 2014 1st because it would very likely be a pick between 23-30 and this draft isn't that deep. If they don't have a 2nd Round Pick this year then I would go for a 2nd or 3rd Round Pick for 2015.

Richardson I would keep since he only has 1 year left and by trading Bennett they would have a hole on the wing which Higgins can easily fill in for the Pens. Also, Kesler would be there 3rd line centre just like how Staal used to be but obviously they would most likely move him up and down in the line up.

I feel like we don't really need Sutter. We have Horvat and Gaunce.

Well Sutter is a RFA this off season, so he could be an insurance at Centre because Schroeder or Henrik could easily get injured. Also, he could be put on the 4th line and maybe even on the Sedins wing. I think Sutter would be a pretty good fit in the direction our team is heading.

Sedin

Horvat/Gaunce/Schroeder/Sutter

Schroeder/Sutter/Gaunce/Horvat

Sutter/Richardson

That looks pretty good down the middle, the depth on this team is badly needed.

Archived