The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo Trade Reactions?

Kanucklehead10

Amidst all the negativity on this Luongo blockbuster, am I the only one that thinks this trade is a good trade for the Canucks? It's true on what "could've been" last year on the return for Luongo but this whole saga is finally over and both parties got what they wanted. A fresh start.

Now people are complaining about how we didn't get enough for Luongo, when before, people didn't think his contract was trade - able anyways. Obviously, Gillis messed up on handling this in a better way in which Luongo should've been traded a long time ago (Luongo to Toronto...."Could've gotten Gardiner or Kadri" blah blah) but pretty soon it became a rather embarrassing situation for the Canucks when other teams started realizing how desperate we were to move him and basically offered up scrap for him due to his contract, just like how Toronto basically ended up indicating how they would take Luongo for a 7th rounder just to take him off our hands.

This couldn't have been a better trade in which it eases a situation in which Luongo is finally content and we get two young assets that could still improve in a different system rather than giving up Luongo for nothing. Markstrom hasn't been up to his full potential, but he's only 24 years old and still has many years in which he can improve under a better defensive system than Florida (I was a huge fan of his in the world juniors) and at times has shown flashes of his hype. I also really like the Matthias pickup in which we get a young 200+ pound versatile forward with a lot of grit to his game. I've followed this player for a long time and he brings so much energy and excitement to his game. You can tell that he loves being out there on the ice and he loves to make a difference. He's only 26 and has good leadership abilities; he will add to a "new image" of the Canucks. Matthias wasn't brought in for an offensive spark (even though he may still have some upside), I think that the offensive, young player is reserved for another deal (Kesler deal??), but this is a safe, solid trade when you put everything he brings (rather than just points) to the table.

I think that the Luongo deal was a given (it had to be done at whatever price) and it's finally a heavy burden that is gone with some fresh faces coming our way. A fresh, exciting team, I think the Canucks' "image" can be post-deadline if the right moves are made.

Archived