The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Forgot what it was like during the bad times? Here's a reminder.

DonaldBrashear

remember when this was a big deal? Dark times indeed..

Those weren't dark times... That was the dawn of the brabarian.

I became a fan in 02 and I haven't really been through any dark times, maybe the 07-08 season. In reality my favourite time of being Canucks fan were during the WCE days. I remember meeting a guy like Jason King at Save on Foods, he was popular at the time.

I remember the days of Skudra, Hedberg, Noronen, Auld, Cloutier, and maybe some more. I honestly feel like from 2002-2011, it was the fun times. Now I don't know if we are actually entering dark times again, but I'm willing to stick it out if things get rough.

People who think the Canucks team is invincible should take this article in. Aquallini bought this team during good times. After he bought it, the Canadian dollar soared in value and the Canucks team became competitive. Moves that Brian Burke had made, such as getting the Sedins, paid off in dividends.

Now, everything that hurt the Canucks from 1996 to 2000 is happening again in exactly the same way:

1) Canucks are coming off a loss in Game 7 of the finals, which resulted in riots and decreased morale.

2) The Canadian dollar is reversing itself and becoming weak again to the USD.

3) The cap is going up, and Canadian teams will have trouble keeping up if the CDN dollar keeps dropping

4) The team has a brash, rogue coach who is hated by many, just like the Keenan years.

5) Season ticket holders appear to be ready to cancel tickets, causing a serious lack of revenue for the team.

6) The Canucks organization is spending millions of dollars on new upgrades to the arena, just at the exact time the organization begins to tumble. Sound familiar? GM Place was built in 1995, just as the "golden years" ended for the Canucks.

There's tons of other things I'm sure, but these are just a few similarities.

Actually GM Place OPENED in 1995. Construction began in 1993 and planning began in 1989.

Felix Potvin, Garth Snow, Corey Schwab, Sean Burke, Corey Hirsch, Arturs Irbe, Kevin Weekes and "Back Up Bob" Essensa come to mind for the dark days as well. Aside from Essensa who got us to the post season, goaltending was atrocious back then with a bunch of no names third stringers coming in too. I seem to recall one who scored on himself when he swept the puck from the side of the net to get a whistle only to have it slide underneath him into the net. That was the sort of luck the Canucks had back then.

Potvin made Burke look like an idiot since he stated publicly that he wanted a goaltender that could stop the first shot of the game only to have Potvin's first shot in a Canucks uniform end up in the back of the net.

Believe it or not, some of those goaltenders were talented.

Canucks goaltending was hampered because the team was crap defensively.

It's true that Potvin was struggling in Vancouver, but he went on to start for LA and eliminate the Red Wings in the playoffs that year.

Arturs Irbe and Kevin Weekes formed a goaltending tandem that carried the Carolina Hurricanes to the Cup Final in '02.

The Canucks barely gave Sean Burke a chance, but Burke posted great numbers on an average Phoenix team for five straight seasons after the Canucks got rid of him.

The Canucks were attracting quality netminders during that time, but until Marc Crawford came on board, there wasn't much consistency.

It also should be noted that Dan Cloutier was instrumental in helping the Canucks back to a respectable status. His three consecutive 30 win seasons were a Canucks record at the time.

Essensa had been in the league for over 15 years, he was near the end of his career, so expecting him to be a #1 was too much.

Sure you can draw absolute dollar comparisons and say this ain't so bad. But you have to remember that we were a bottom feeding team in 2001 and expected to lose. No one will bat an eyelash if the Panthers or Islanders crapped the bed this season.

The Canucks are a team that spends near the cap with everyone severely underperforming. The chemistry has been a mes, management is a gong show, and the team is in disarray. It's like the team that signs all these superstars, but ends up sucking.

Lost almost 40 million in 1998 (4 years after the cup final appearance).

Wow... that's unbelievable. It never will in this vancouver economy. Especially with all the corporate support and immigrant money.

I miss the 30 dollar lower bowl games... lol.

Archived