The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Signing a couple veteran wingers and/or centres this offseason

I totally agree Goc and Vrbata are pure scorers and can certainly make things happen

I won't be surprised if we sign these two but we'd be able to sign a couple more players to add depth that the Canucks need

It will def allow them to add depth and an actual 4th line - which would be nice :)

We don't need, Goc, we have Richardson and Matthias. Goc is redundant and would not fit the team. Richardson is a perfect 3rd line center and Matthias is also a good 3rd line center. People seem to forget that we also have Santorelli who is a center and the fact that Horvat and Gaunce would be competing for a spot on this team. PLEASE, we don't need any more 3rd line centers. The only center the Canucks should be going after is Stastny who is a potential number 1 center. Any other center is just redundant unless Richardson and Matthias are being traded.

Dude, I like Richardson, but he's a 4C on a good team. His underlying #'s stink cause he's in way over his head this season with Canucks. The injuries have forced him to play a role he's sinking in. He's not even close to a tough minutes 3C- which is exactly what this team needs. Matthias is also not a tough mins 3C - he barely has decent underlyers in weak minutes.

Gaunce and Horvat would be rookies. Most rookie centres play wing in their 1st NHL season - unless their name is Couturier they won't be successful playing tough mins. So Canucks needs a 'bridge' - a tough mins 3C who can play in the lineup now. Let Horvat or Gaunce take over in 2-3 years when they're ready to play toughs (that's how long it usually takes).

Stansy is an option, but I think he commands top $$ and Goc is the better option in that case. Plus, Goc has had way better underlyers in every season vs. Stasny playing toughs.

Sign Bolland and Statsny and we're right back on top.

Has everyone already forgot? Here's a reminder for anyone suggesting signing Bolland:

"Well, they'll [the Sedins] never become Hawks. I don't think we'd let them on our team. That'd probably be one thing. We'd be sure not to let them on our team. And yeah, they probably still would be sisters. I think they might sleep in, like, bunk beds. The older one has the bottom one, the younger one has the top one."

"There's a lot of weirdos there [Vancouver], you don't want to be there too long."

"Typical, pulling hair and biting people. Sort of like a little girl."

and finally, "I hate all of them".

Yeah, that'd be a solid signing.

I wish the GM would play rookies, Horvat, Shinkaruk, Jensen, Corrado next season. Go with Lack and Markstrom, Trade Kesler for prospects and picks. Do not spend money on free agents. Signing veterans via free agency will only make them a middle of the road team.

This way we might finish last and we can pick McDavid or Ekblad.

It'll never happen because we have an owner and a fanbase who demand to always spend to the max making it difficult to get any quality prospects in the draft.

Put in one sucky season and we can get some free agents the next year, as well as a team of rookies with a year of experience under their belt.

Archived