The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

PC Gaming Thread

14 hours ago, Incursio said:

Guys, I need some help. I know pretty much nothing about this stuff, but I need a new GPU. 

Will this card - https://www.amazon.ca/GeForce-128bit-Profile-Graphics-02G-P3-2732-KR/dp/B00L5GZ88W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1475470560&sr=8-2&keywords=eVGA+GeForce+GT+730+2GB+DDR3+128bit

Work in this old ass PC? - http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c02700630

I'm thinking that it will, but I just wanted to make sure. I know the card isn't great, but I need a new one ASAP and I'm on a super tight budget 

Argg.... I am fundamentally opposed to buying a low-end graphics card like this.  If you intend on doing any sort of gaming, just a tiny bit more money and you can get an RX 460.

http://www.ncix.com/category/video-cards-radeon-rx-460-ee-108-2278.htm

As an aside note, your computer is not as old as you think and can pretty much handle any new GPU under $200.  Power will not be a concern for you.

What do you plan on doing with the graphics card?  Because if you're going to game, you don't need something ASAP.  If you need it to... playback videos in 1080p, you should just get the cheapest card available, like a GT 210 or a 5450.  

$100 is the worst possible range for buying video cards.  You are paying a considerable amount of money for essentially a piece of crap.  If wanting to playback videos, it's overkill.  If wanting to play games, it is a total piece of garbage.  

EDIT: I must reiterate.  The GT 730 is a complete waste of money.  Do NOT buy it.  If you only have $100 look up something on craigslist.  My current GPU and the one before it were both bought off CL.  Your desperation should never warrant buying a low-end GPU.

Edited by Bob.Loblaw

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Caboose said:

Civilization VI is preloading today. I can't wait. 

RIP the rest of my free time 

I will have to make sure I turn on Steam and get it going, on account of I already paid and all. Much easier to turn off posting here than give up computer time or actually going to the games, my now favorite free time invaders....

If anyone is interested, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter is on sale right now until November 1st. Knocked down to $4.39 from $21.99. It's a 1st person, story driven mystery.

Also Kathy Rain is 33% off. Not sure how much it's been on sale before, but 33% off isn't bad. $16.99 down to $11.38. Another mystery kind of game, with great voice acting.

41 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Windows update doesn't work?  Hmm.  Strange.

It was searching for an update for over four hours. I gave up at that point.

This is an old Windows 7 SP 1 disc so I'm sure something was broken with updates for older versions during the Windows 10 forced updates bs. I'm not too concerned about not being able to update an old rig that will spend more time plugged in to my tv being used as a dvd player.

Heck... with my current rig I avoided updates for nearly a year before I accidentally clicked update. 

On 2016-11-05 at 11:17 PM, Tanev's Smirk said:

It was searching for an update for over four hours. I gave up at that point.

This is an old Windows 7 SP 1 disc so I'm sure something was broken with updates for older versions during the Windows 10 forced updates bs. I'm not too concerned about not being able to update an old rig that will spend more time plugged in to my tv being used as a dvd player.

Heck... with my current rig I avoided updates for nearly a year before I accidentally clicked update. 

I had this issue when trying to update on my backup rig that uses Windows 7. Updates searching forever. I ended up just using the WSUS Offline Update program. That got me over the hump and future updates started to work again.

12 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

I wonder what happened to that Incursio guy?  And whether he bought that video card?

Oh, damn. Sorry man. I read your post way back and was in the middle of responding to you and I guess I got side tracked and forgot to finish it.

I took your advice and didn't buy the card. My current card is still alive somehow, so it gives me time to save for a decent one

28 minutes ago, Incursio said:

Oh, damn. Sorry man. I read your post way back and was in the middle of responding to you and I guess I got side tracked and forgot to finish it.

I took your advice and didn't buy the card. My current card is still alive somehow, so it gives me time to save for a decent one

Save faster.  US Black Friday (Nov. 24/25) online sales are almost here.  Then there are also the Cyber Monday sales all over the internet on Nov. 28.

Also keep your eye on Newegg.com deals like their "Shell Shockers".

Save boy save!  Now go work those street corners to get a head start. :lol: