The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Jets Re-Sign Michael Hutchinson

Jets re-sign Michael Hutchinson to a 2-yr contract. He could be the backup to Pavelec, but @SWhyno reports its a 2-way for 1st season.

Could be in market for experienced back up to push Pavelec.

Does this open up a trade for Eddie Lack to Winnipeg?

I personally would rather take a chance that Markstrom improves under Rollie, IIRC he did not even have a goalie coach in Florida which may be why his play suffered and his stock plummeted. He is younger than Lack and has more upside IMO. Also, Lack does not need to be a back up for three years behind Miller, whereas it would be the perfect amount of time for Markstrom.

Lack would also get us more in return. Possibly even Evander Kane with the right pieces added in. As much as I am not a fan of E. Kane to Vancouver, we could use him, and knowing him personally, he may mature faster if he is at home with the guidance of his parents (who I also know and are really nice people).

There are absolutely still teams who could improve their back up position if we try and slide Markstrom down to the AHL on waivers. Winnipeg is one of them, as is Toronto if they trade Reimer, New Jersey and teams like Columbus relying on back ups like McElhinney.

Archived