The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

MicroSD to extend MacBook storage

NucksPatsFan

Not sure whether this belonged in here, in creative, white noise, or off topic.

But was just wondering if any MacBook users (either Air or Pro, but I have an Air) have used MicroSD cards via Mini or Jet Drives that sit flush in your laptop to extend their storage capacity. These Mini/Jet Drives do not stick out at all so you don't notice that it's even there, and essentially is a "2nd hard drive" in the MacBook.

Just wanted to get opinions on it regarding experiences, what brands are used, before I buy one.

Any feedback regarding an empty mini drive that can hold any sized MicroSD combo, or a MiniDrive with storage built directly in to it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Just get a bigger hard drive to replace the one that's in your Macbook Air. The sd cards are slow and not worth it.

I'd rather not pay $300 (What Apple charges to replace the hard drive, or I could do it myself/get 3rd party to do it, but that voids warranty and Apple doesn't recognize this as an Apple product anymore).

most of the SD Cards/jetdrives I've looked into have reading speeds more than quick enough to watch HD video off of them, and will cost me 1/6th of what Apple will charge to upgrade the hard drive.

I'd rather not pay $300 (What Apple charges to replace the hard drive, or I could do it myself/get 3rd party to do it, but that voids warranty and Apple doesn't recognize this as an Apple product anymore).

most of the SD Cards/jetdrives I've looked into have reading speeds more than quick enough to watch HD video off of them, and will cost me 1/6th of what Apple will charge to upgrade the hard drive.

Just get a decent USB flash drive and unplug it when your not using it then, and replace the hard drive yourself when the warranty is up. Or sell it and buy a new one with a bigger hard drive.

Obviously the 300 dollars Apple charges to do a job that takes all of 30 min is ridiculous but you can buy a fairly big SSD for that much and just do it yourself.

Just get a decent USB flash drive and unplug it when your not using it then, and replace the hard drive yourself when the warranty is up. Or sell it and buy a new one with a bigger hard drive.

Obviously the 300 dollars Apple charges to do a job that takes all of 30 min is ridiculous but you can buy a fairly big SSD for that much and just do it yourself.

Yeah I've looked into it on youtube/web tutorials, just don't want to mess something up and end up with a dead computer lol

http://www.ncix.com/detail/patriot-spark-64gb-usb-3-0-82-90760.htm

This is a pretty decent flash drive and this will only stick out about 1/4 inch and it's pretty fast and gives you a decent amount of extra storage space.

Sweet, thanks. I'll search around some more tomorrow to see if there are any designed specifically to fit seamlessly in MacBooks.

Just get a bigger hard drive to replace the one that's in your Macbook Air. The sd cards are slow and not worth it.

Well, SD cards could be useful for storing important data and it won't be used to boot an operating system so I think it would be fine if used like an external drive but on a smaller capacity. Although instead of getting a bigger drive to replace the old drive, I think its best to just buy a portable SSD drive.

Have you looked into a portable SSD with USB 3.0 or thunderbolt? I think that is the best way to expand on your computer storage.

Archived