The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] VAN - ARI - BUF

Not hating on Miller. This is a trade based on the Coyotes current situation. New owner with $, possibly looking for a goalie change, contract talks with Vermette not progressing.

ARI: Miller, Hodgson

BUF: Smith

VAN: Vermette

Or IOW as 2 separate trades:

ARI: Hodgson

ARI: Miller

------------------------

Gives VAN a good chance and cap space to re-signing Vermette. Top 6 =

Sedin Sedin ____

_____ Vermette Vrbata

Not hating on Miller. This is a trade based on the Coyotes current situation. New owner with $, possibly looking for a goalie change, contract talks with Vermette not progressing.

ARI: Miller, Hodgson

Or IOW as 2 separate trades:

ARI: Hodgson

ARI: Miller

------------------------

Gives VAN a good chance and cap space to re-signing Vermette. Top 6 =

Sedin Sedin ____

_____ Vermette Vrbata

The first trade, no way that gets done...The second one seems almost fair, despite jamming up the forward situation in Van...But Miller is stealing points right now, why trade him? And who would Buffalo dump for Smith? Neuvirth and Enroth are both better than he is right now, especially with that terrible cap hit.

The first trade, no way that gets done...The second one seems almost fair, despite jamming up the forward situation in Van...But Miller is stealing points right now, why trade him? And who would Buffalo dump for Smith? Neuvirth and Enroth are both better than he is right now, especially with that terrible cap hit.

Fair points.

Enroth and Neuvirth are both UFA though. Can they keep both? How much are they asking for? IDK.

Smith has a bad cap hit but so does Hodgson. Both could use a change of scenery. I don't think either is as bad they have been this season. IMO they both look like they want out.

Our top 6 though. Everyone would be 31 or over on our top 6. We need younger players up there.

Not trading any youth away. Just buying Bonino and Horvat more time to develop. Also with 2 solid duos, a younger player can slot into the top 6 easier.

Our top 6 though. Everyone would be 31 or over on our top 6. We need younger players up there.

Except, and as much as I hate to admit it, none of our current young players are anywhere near ready to play in the top 6 on a consistent basis, let alone have an expectation to excel.

I actually don't mind the trade, Vermette does solidify the top 6 just long enough to give time to the young guys to get ready.

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata

Matthias - Vermette - Hansen

Burrows - Bonino - Kassian

Shinkaruk - Horvat - Jensen

Dorsett, Vey

Shopping Higgins and Richardson for defensive help. It would give Shinkaruk, Horvat and Jensen all time to be groomed at the NHL level, so that once the Top 6 is vacant they can just slide right into position.

Additionally, you could probably also lose Burrows (some way, some how), slide Shinkaruk up to the 3rd and put Jensen onto his natural side and have Dorsett on the 4th.

I hadn't even realized Hodgson was being paid that much. For potential and possibilities, that's ridiculous. Talk about crippling a team.

I would probably let Enroth walk, and resign Neuvirth. Surely he could be had for less than Smith is being paid, and for superior performance.

As for Vermette, I think it would be a Roy-type situation. Obviously he's better than Roy and could be very useful to a team making a push, but we don't know how excited and confident to be about this team yet and a rental we'd have to overpay to keep beyond June isn't what the team needs IMO. My bet is the Oilers go after him.

We get a 32 year old and give up a 34 year old!!! Youth!!!

On a more serious note, I don't think any of the 3 teams involved should go for this proposal.

1. While Miller would be an upgrade for Arizona, they aren't going anywhere this year-or next. Dubnyk is playing ok for them for a salary of $800K. They don't need to upgrade on him short-term, though they could use a solid backup and need to build for the future. Getting 34 year old star goalies (and paying them $6 million) doesn't do that. If they're going to move Vermette, they'll want more than a short-term goalie upgrade and a depth forward, which is all Hodgson is right now. If Hodgson wasn't having troubles it might make more sense for them, but there's little reason to gamble on him when they could get proven assets or picks for Vermette.

2. Would Miller name Arizona among those teams he'd be prepared to go to? It's closer to his wife but also has a losing team.

3. Sorry, I'm not understanding why Buffalo would consider taking Smith. Right now he wouldn't make their team and he's waiver eligible. He'd have to clear waivers just to be around long enough to replace one of the Sabres' goalies if they weren't able to get them both to re-sign for next season.

To be useful to the Sabres, they'd need quite a combo to come off

-he'd have to clear waivers so as to be around for next season, 'cause he can't make the Sabres this year, and

-Sabres would have to fail to re-sign one of their existing goalies, and

-Sabres would have to fail to otherwise acquire a backup, and

-Smith would have to beat out a younger, cheaper and potentially better Andrey Markov next year.

Not only that, but they don't even save any money getting rid of CoHO this way-in fact, it costs them. Smith has a cap hit of $5,666,667 until 2019, when he'll be 37. He's presently carrying a GAA of 3.48 and save % of .884, well behind the other Arizona netminder (Dubnyk is at 2.70 and .918.) What would make it worthwhile for Buffalo to take that salary with that term for a struggling 32 year old goalie?

4. Trading Miller is an ingenious way of dealing with the logjam that will force Canucks to move a goalie by next fall, but I'd be happier seeing something young come back-or do a package that includes a defensive upgrade-rather than add to the collection of Canuck forwards in their 30's.

3. Sorry, I'm not understanding why Buffalo would consider taking Smith. Right now he wouldn't make their team and he's waiver eligible. He'd have to clear waivers just to be around long enough to replace one of the Sabres' goalies if they weren't able to get them both to re-sign for next season.

Sabres have been rumored to be moving a goalie for about a month now. I think there is a possibility that neither will re-sign.

The FA market for goalies is really weak this off season - http://www.capgeek.com/free-agents/?year_id=2015&team_id=-1&position_id=G&fa_type_id=2

If I were the agent for Neuvirth or Enroth I would advise them not to sign until seeing what they could get in the open market.

Sabres have been rumored to be moving a goalie for about a month now. I think there is a possibility that neither will re-sign.

The FA market for goalies is really weak this off season - http://www.capgeek.com/free-agents/?year_id=2015&team_id=-1&position_id=G&fa_type_id=2

If I were the agent for Neuvirth or Enroth I would advise them not to sign until seeing what they could get in the open market.

If the Sabres are really looking for a goalie, they should take a look at getting Reimer out of TO. Not that he's a big improvement over Neuvirth or anything, but he's got another season at 2.6, plus he's only 26 as opposed to Smith who's been on the decline for the past couple of seasons. Not that he's had much help from the rest of the team, but I don't see the point in risking that kind of money on a player who's best years are behind him, especially when your team should be in full rebuild mode.

What surprised me a little is that it appears Buffalo hasn't spoken to either of these guys about extending their contracts....Maybe they're hoping something better comes along via trade or UFA?

Archived