The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mac Pro or Air

Squamfan

I have iMac for work and Air for portability. Works well for me but if I didn't have the desktop for doing serious heavy duty work, I would have gone with MBP for sure. Air is great, especially for travel or even going to coffee shop in the morning (grab your Air and go) but if I were to do some heavy duty work, I often notice that the app would freeze.

Interestingly the iMac is actually just laptop components in a different case.

Depends if it's a $3000 Facebook and CDC machine or if you are actually going to be doing graphic design, video editing, music production etc... One thing I would recommend would be upgrading the Hard Drive. The 250gd solid state HD they offer as a base is a joke and you should get into a 500gb minimum.

Be more specific with your habits/needs.

I chose the MacBook Air 13inch because it is super light, 12 hours of battery life, powerful (8GB ram) and all that equates to a perfect computer for me as a student who spends most of my time on my laptop doing research, mainly using Microsoft Word/Excel/Powerpoint and web browsing as well as a torrent application and mail.

The MacBook Pro is more powerful, but, if you don't need more power, you don't need to spend the extra money.

But if you're going to be using your laptop primarily for large CPU consuming apps like Photoshop, or other editing software and all that, go with the Pro.

Archived