The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Equalism

thejazz97

The problem with saying "just love everyone" is that many racist, sexist, homophobic, or otherwise unfair actions are borne out of misguided or false love. Colonization, conversion therapy to turn gay people straight, residential schools, and police surveillance are just some examples of injustices that have been justified with a condescending "it's for your own good" mentality.

Therefore while a kind attitude is good, it must be free from ignorance and coupled with the ability to think open mindedly about how your actions truly affect others.

It makes me sad when some of the nicest, most unselfish people in my life also hold some very oppressive viewpoints. They have great intentions and are wonderful to be around, but they just don't know any better.

The problem with saying "just love everyone" is that many racist, sexist, homophobic, or otherwise unfair actions are borne out of misguided or false love. Colonization, conversion therapy to turn gay people straight, residential schools, and police surveillance are just some examples of injustices that have been justified with a condescending "it's for your own good" mentality.

Therefore while a kind attitude is good, it must be free from ignorance and coupled with the ability to think open mindedly about how your actions truly affect others.

It makes me sad when some of the nicest, most unselfish people in my life also hold some very oppressive viewpoints. They have great intentions and are wonderful to be around, but they just don't know any better.

Here's how I look at it: There's many things that people do that I don't think is right, however, I've more than likely done something that someone else has absolutely hated. That being said, I'm not going to judge people or try to change people if they don't want to change or "be changed". This is partly from what Jesus said (Judge righteously or don't judge at all) and partly because I know it's not my place to judge. Let he who has no wrong in him cast the first stone, you know? So unless they want to change, I don't even try anymore.

Archived