The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Equalism

thejazz97

But we also cannot treat people equally. We can respect their rights as inidividuals, but in true equalism, people must be equal, and they clearly aren't, at least not in the broad spectrum indicated in your op.

Maybe a vague social equality is being referred to, but I think we already have that.

Bang on. I think the end goal is that are people are treated fairly, which may or may not involve treating them equally.

Okay, so I want to hear your guys thoughts on this.

I know a lot of people like feminism. And feminism is good, it's bringing equality for women. However, there are also a lot of people that dislike feminism, because of the judgmental attitude many feminists have toward not just male chauvinists, but men in general. Both sides have merit.

However, I'd like to introduce a new thought: equalism.

Basically, seeing people's differences, but treating all people as equal in spite of them (gender, age, religion, race, sexual orientation, disabilities, looks, etc.).

It takes the root of what feminism is, and expands it. And it's highly unlikely that it could ever be corrupted.

Thoughts?

That doesn't even happen on this forum its a good idea in theory but not feasible in reality

There are always going to be people who are willing to subjugate and dominate people based on any difference they can find whether it be gender, race, religion, belief or action. The concept you are mentioning goes back thousands of years to the birth of civilization and has been continually corrupted since. Equality is a constant battle that will not cease in our lifetimes.

For example. This is still garners laughs...now go make me a sandwich.

they-say-a-womans-work-is-never-done.jpg

Suck it up Cupcake and Man Up.

giphy.gif

maybe if people treated others like they wanted to be treated the world would be a better place. When I say this I don't just mean having manners but seriously thinking about how you would like to be treated in a certain situation. I guess having compassion, empathy and actually listening and trying to understand. It's not only between genders but also between all other things that cause divison, we are more a like than we are different. It would also be great if people would judge others on their actions and actual abilities not just what is assumed.

I don't think equality is best term to describe this maybe fair would be better but I don't think it's on point either. I've also herd someone say the wanted equity, because it is powerful rather than passive.

maybe if people treated others like they wanted to be treated the world would be a better place. When I say this I don't just mean having manners but seriously thinking about how you would like to be treated in a certain situation. I guess having compassion, empathy and actually listening and trying to understand. It's not only between genders but also between all other things that cause divison, we are more a like than we are different. It would also be great if people would judge others on their actions and actual abilities not just what is assumed.

I don't think equality is best term to describe this maybe fair would be better but I don't think it's on point either. I've also herd someone say the wanted equity, because it is powerful rather than passive.

Although this is great, it contradicts itself. Lending yourself to the thought that we are all alike leads to stereotyping. If you try to judge people on actions and abilities, you'll find that most people aren't alike.

A better way is to view people as human: unique, intelligent creatures who all have failures and need to be loved unconditionally.

We screw up. We make mistakes. We do things other people don't like or believe is right. However, we still need love, it's a primary human need. We are created to be unique, but to find common bonds and build communities with people as well.

If you want a way to put it: Just love people. Be joyful. Be peaceful. Be patient with people. Be kind. Be good to other people. Be loyal to people. Be gentle, and have self-control. If you do this, it's better than any feminism or equalism or politically-correctness could ever do.

There are always going to be people who are willing to subjugate and dominate people based on any difference they can find whether it be gender, race, religion, belief or action. The concept you are mentioning goes back thousands of years to the birth of civilization and has been continually corrupted since. Equality is a constant battle that will not cease in our lifetimes.

For example. This is still garners laughs...now go make me a sandwich.

Suck it up Cupcake and Man Up.

giphy.gif

Man that old guy looks horrible now..

Although this is great, it contradicts itself. Lending yourself to the thought that we are all alike leads to stereotyping. If you try to judge people on actions and abilities, you'll find that most people aren't alike.

A better way is to view people as human: unique, intelligent creatures who all have failures and need to be loved unconditionally.

We screw up. We make mistakes. We do things other people don't like or believe is right. However, we still need love, it's a primary human need. We are created to be unique, but to find common bonds and build communities with people as well.

If you want a way to put it: Just love people. Be joyful. Be peaceful. Be patient with people. Be kind. Be good to other people. Be loyal to people. Be gentle, and have self-control. If you do this, it's better than any feminism or equalism or politically-correctness could ever do.

I think I did a bad job at phrasing what I was trying to get across.

When I said we are more alike than we are different it was basically what you wrote that is in blue.

As for judging people based on their actions and abilities that was more directed to the part about being equal. The only way to know if someone is trustworthy or loyal is by their actions. The only way to know if someone can do a job is by seeing their ablilities.

Archived